Mass Effect 3

Will be funny to see what they're doing.

Probably what they've been doing all the time. Just packaged into an investor-friendly format.

Or they're going to rip out all conversation to make it more COD. >_<

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Either way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i dont really care too much what direction they take ME in, so long as the game ends up being fun that's all I've been looking for from this series.

If they made a sequel to dragon age that was more like gauntlet than baldur's gate I would be pretty pissed though. :(

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

BG1 is overrated. BIO's 2nd worst game amongst the ones I've played.

Did you play it at the time? BG1 along with Fallout helped save western RPGs. It was an amazing game for its time and I still enjoy it today. Sometimes classic games have a timeless feel to them. I still play Doom 1 & 2 today, almost as a sort of 'comfort' game.

So has anyone played the new DLc for ME2? I think it's called the Arrival. Apparently it sets up the story for the 3rd game.

It's not overlong, and it's set up for Shep to do solo.

Basically breaks into two parts.. the first is the breakout a scientist/covert operative from prison. She's been in Batarian space and discovered something to do with the Reapers, let the Alliance know that.. then got arrested for terrorism.

Potentially you're encouraged to do the breakout without getting into mass shootouts (well, they give you an achievement if you manage that).

The second part is spoilery to talk about in detail, but is more of the lone Shep doing mass destruction and showing that you can run like a leopard, fight like a krogan but no-ones better then Commander Shepherd.

The end result is that you basically have responsibility for a big civilian bodycount, although the Reaper plan was prevented. But you know that at some point in the near future you will have to face a court-martial / trial and show why you had to do it.

And ME3 basically starts off with the trial from what's been hinted at.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

There are many things about the direction Bioware i going with DLC that ... bother me.

But am I the only one that is annoyed that a DLC pack is now not only part of the canon, but helps make sense of the beginning of ME3? It's one thing for DLC to offer some new weps or silly armor, but when the story I paid 60 bucks to play does not even allow me to sensibly transition to the next game in the series - that is downright offensive.

There are many things about the direction Bioware i going with DLC that ... bother me.

But am I the only one that is annoyed that a DLC pack is now not only part of the canon, but helps make sense of the beginning of ME3? It's one thing for DLC to offer some new weps or silly armor, but when the story I paid 60 bucks to play does not even allow me to sensibly transition to the next game in the series - that is downright offensive.

Not anymore than an expansion establishing canon would bother me. Actually I think it is pretty great, it gives me a reason to boot ME2 up again, and for $7 I get a little prequel story to tide me over until ME3 comes out. Regardless, I doubt you will be lost in the story if you don't play the DLC.

I think the lame outfits and weapons is a lot worse as DLC. Why bother with that? I want story.

"Did you play it at the time? BG1 along with Fallout helped save western RPGs. It was an amazing game for its time and I still enjoy it today. Sometimes classic games have a timeless feel to them. I still play Doom 1 & 2 today, almost as a sort of 'comfort' game. "

Yes, i did, And, I loved it. A I rated it 90%, and was in my top 5. BG1 is also the game the internet can blame for causing me to start posting on line. But, I've started to (try) to replay it and it simply doens't hold up. Very dissapointing. A truely awesome game should always be awesome and BG1 just doesn't do that. I hope when I move on to BG2 that my memories of it hold up.

"But am I the only one that is annoyed that a DLC pack is now not only part of the canon, but helps make sense of the beginning of ME3?"

From their very first intro to the world of DLC, BIO has always stated that they were gonna use DLC to tie games into one another. I was kinda surprised they didn't do that to tie ME1 and ME2 together like they said they would. Not that i agree with that philosphy since I don't really go for DLC myself.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah I figured I was in the minority on this one but it just gives me a bad vibe to be nickel and dimed for months after a game for DLC. Now DLC that is not even optional (extra NPCs, some side quests, weps and armor) but now plot-critical stuff. I see it no differently than If I paid fifteen bucks for a movie only to find out months later that the real ending was gonna cost me an extra $2.50.

And feeling lost come the beginning of ME3 was not really concern. I feel confident I could pick up ME 3 w/o having even heard of 1 or 2 and catch up. BioWare is not exactly weaving some labrythine plot drenched in subtly and nuance.

MCA put it nicely when he described (paraphrasing) DLC like telling a short story in the gameworld.

A genuine expansion would be far less grating to me; back in the stone ages we used to get these all the time; 15 bucks for a whole bunch of stuff and a decent chunk of additional gameplay. But 7 bucks every few months for an hour or two?

As I said I know I am tilting at windmills on this. Just curious if I was the only one.

I don't disagree. I don't particularly like the idea of DLC being an important part of the plot.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's where we differ. There is no strongarming or forcing here. You either buy it or you don't. It's 100% about you. Companies make things and try to sell it to customers. That's their job. It's 100% up to potential customers tod ecide if they want to fork the cash over.

Well of course you either buy it or you dont but you would expect the game you already payed for to at least contain the minimum information to carry you to the next game in the series. When they retroactively add that information to an "optional" DLC its not really optional. Either you buy it or have a giant piece of missing cannon. If this information is somehow attainable in the next game of the series then thats ok, if its not, thats a big problem.

Eh, while the Arrival DLC might flesh it out a little more.. I kind of imagine that ME3 will start up with its own intro sequence that tells the story of why Shepherd is facing a trial. In a similar way that ME2 jumped around and showed you how Shep got killed.

I guess I'm seeing it more as them taking what would be a "time montage / cinema opening sequence" to ME3, and then breaking it down to a short-form dlc you can actually play if you wanted to get that "insider" feel to it. But they'll still be doing that opening sequence in ME3 that tells the story / brings you up to date with what's been happening in the Universe.

At least that's how I'm kind of viewing it. I do think Lair of the Shadowbroker was a much better DLC then Arrival (and it'll be interesting to see how they fold those story elements into ME3).

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"When they retroactively add that information to an "optional" DLC its not really optional."

It's 100% optional. I chose not to buy it. Many others chose not to buy it. This isn' food, air, or water. It's not mandatory.

"When they retroactively add that information to an "optional" DLC its not really optional."

It's 100% optional. I chose not to buy it. Many others chose not to buy it. This isn' food, air, or water. It's not mandatory.

C'mon Volourn you are being intentionally obtuse. It is not optional in the (very clearly made) sense of - this is not a side story this is the canonical story. To play the core ME experience it is no longer enough to simply buy the games. You have to buy the DLC.

And even if they intend to show ala a cinematic at the beginning of ME3, the point is you cannot play the ME story, the basic main plot, w/o buying DLC.

Buying the three games is not enough. This is what I find offensive.

is it strongarm tactics to make people buy XCOM because the title references the old X-Com? nope, its just poor form, bad taste, and poop.

this non-sequitor brought to you by - the internet.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

C'mon Volourn you are being intentionally obtuse.

Water is wet.

:shifty:

Fun?

If the major plot arc is the only thing of value in an RPG, something has gone very wrong. In several places.

Edited by Tale

Fun?

If the major plot arc is the only thing of value in an RPG, something has gone very wrong. In several places.

Fair enough. My point was more that DLC having impact on the main story is a good thing, instead of being just a bunch of axed sidemissions finished and released later. Not that even that's necessarily a bad thing, *cough* bring down the sky *cough*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif