HBO's Game of Thrones

MechanicalLemon

Surely Tyrion is no spring chicken, tho. And I'll grant you maybe he is taller than I thought, but he certainly moves like a dwarf, and has a strange nasal voice. Look him up on Youtube or something.

your original observation were as follows:

"I still can't believe they haven't used Andy Hamilton as the dwarf (Tyrion?)"

really? sometimes you argue just to argue. tyrion is the youngest lannister sibling... so maybe get judy dench to play cersei? and it would look damn silly for hamilton/tyrion to bemoan his dwarfism as he stared down at some o' the stark children.

*snort*

HA! Good Fun!

I merely made an observation that I saw a very wry, devious, short man as Tyrion. Having him older wouldn't pose the least obstacle to a film adaptation.

On the other hand YOU immediately launched into yet another of your poorly punctuated and bafflingly aggrandised half-orc broadsides.

You can't be arsed to type capital letters, but you can be arsed to repeat your tired catchphrase repeatedly? Get off your damn high horse.

*chuckle*

you has really gone off the deep end. your initial observation were not that hamilton were wry and short, but rather that you were baffled ("can't believe") that hamilton were Not chosen for the part o' tyrion. by now it shoulds be quite obvious why hamilton would be excluded from the short-list o' candidates for the role o' tyrion, nevertheless you continue to rail and wail. hamilton is 56 years of age and he is NOT the dwarf you thought he was. end o' story? no?

bah.

oh, and am suspecting that our posts are 'bout as accurately punctuated as is yours. spelling and capitalization, on the other hand...

HA! Good Fun!

ps our left hand is functionally paralyzed, but thanks for asking.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

To me the books are great the first time, but then you look back on them and say "Wait... exactly how much book did he use to move the plot three inches?"

And Erikson is awesome... not only for his own books but also for the books he likes (He's a fan of Glenn Cook and vis versa)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

To me the books are great the first time, but then you look back on them and say "Wait... exactly how much book did he use to move the plot three inches?"

And Erikson is awesome... not only for his own books but also for the books he likes (He's a fan of Glenn Cook and vis versa)

Well, that was only an issue with A Feast For Crows, right? Man, that book was a drag. The only saving grace was Jaime, Victarion and Asha, IMHO. For the first three books though, I felt that he dealt with the plot pretty well, especially with A Storm of Swords.

Yeah, you can tell that Erikson's been heavily influenced by Glen Cook. Bridgeburners = Black Company. Supposedly Cook's writing two more books for The Black Company although there's no info about them other than their titles: A Pitiless Rain and A Port of Shadows.

Well you go back to the first three books and even then it feels quite dull... at least on the second reading. I know it sounds strange, but some books hold up really well the second time you read them because they don't take forever to get it rolling and then when they have it rolling they don't seem to stop it so that there could be a commentary on this or that relationship.

The first three books in Martins series feel like they take forever to slog from plot point to plot point. Feast of Crows was just.... urgh.

Also, funny little note, Erikson wrote the foreward to the re-published compilations of the Dread Empire novels, and commented that "You could see the standard fantasy protagonist, hair luffing in the air, codpiece bulging in his pants, standing by the side of the road looking for the princess to rescue, only to be passed by Cooks characters as the grumble and bitch, splashing the nameless hero in muck and crap". Ok, I'm paraphrasing like hell there and Erikson said it better, but it's still a good sentiment.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

i don't know, i found going back and reading them again i noticed a lot more things that made it more interesting

eg. in the very first book you get a hint about Varys and Illyrio working together

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

A new 'Making of' clocking it at almost half an hour:

Gotta say it looks immensely impressive. The characters look well-realized I think, only Tyrion is a bit disappointing in that he doesn't look as grotesque as he should. But it looks pretty marvelous overall.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I still can't believe they haven't used Andy Hamilton as the dwarf (Tyrion?)

Andy is the actual dwarf on the left. he's a very very smart man, with 30 years of comedy writing and performing behind him.

I'm a little confused by your emphasis on "actual dwarf"...are you saying that Peter Dinklage, who is around 4' 5" I believe, isn't a dwarf?

I love Peter...he's one of the reasons I'll be watching the series. I can't say whether he's the perfect Tyrion or not vs. the book (since I barely remember the book...) but I think he's a wonderful actor.

Edit: Also...

Well you go back to the first three books and even then it feels quite dull... at least on the second reading. I know it sounds strange, but some books hold up really well the second time you read them because they don't take forever to get it rolling and then when they have it rolling they don't seem to stop it so that there could be a commentary on this or that relationship.

The first three books in Martins series feel like they take forever to slog from plot point to plot point. Feast of Crows was just.... urgh.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that what annoyed them was the rapid, constant switching of chr. pov, and when I thought about it, I think that bothered me back when I read Game of Thrones. Most novels seem to that a lot these days but usually it's not a pov switch every 10-20 pages. Even if I like the story, it's difficult to maintain immersion for me when it occurs that often.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was expecting Tyrion to look uglier, I didn't think they would make him a handsome dwarf.

He'll be ugly when he gets his nose cut off later. I agree I was expecting him to be handsome though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hmm. Nowhere near as "omg this is awesome" as when I saw the 1st episode of Rome, but it was pretty decent. Felt a bit rushed/crowded but with so many chrs. etc. I was expecting it to take a few episodes to truly drag me in anyway, if that makes sense. So I think it was a good start. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Really enjoyed the first episode. It was a bit of a mouthful to get a grip on all the characters in the books at first as well so I imagine it's the same with the series now for the people who haven't read the books in the first place.

But very enjoyable I think, certainly smaller things to nitpick about if you've read the books but overall they did a really great job of bringing it to the screen.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Gotta agree with Lady Crimson. I liked it but I didn't love it. Rome blew me away right away. This does feel rushed and choppy. I know I'm biased because I've read the books more than once but still. I'll keep watching though, it is good but it won't knock your socks off though.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was blown away at how accurate it was.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just finished watching and I enjoyed it, it's a shame Bioware didn't use this world instead, decent grit >_<

Bioware "using" things unfortunately leads to them being left withered husks, a corner of two filed off and with a few more holes than before.

OK, I've not read the books so I don't have that baggage...

... but I rather liked it. OK, it's Dynasty with greatswords, incest and leather armour but it's fun nonetheless. The bad guy with the blonde hair who pimped his sister to the barbarians was great. Sean Bean played a great Sean Bean if you get my drift. The Dwarf was fun in a randy-dwarf kinda way. The big fat king was cool. The baby wolflets were cute.

A question, though... when Queen SeanBean (see how I got all these names lodged in my memory?) gets the message from her sister who does she allege murdered Big Fat King's right hand man? Was it his Queen, the one getting seen to by her handsome blonde brother? Or is it the blonde wierdos hanging out with the barbarians?

One thing it does have in common with Rome though... magnificent opening credits, loved the little mechanical whatsits on the map, really well done and gave a sense of geography and place.

Monte gives it a solid 7/10 and imagines he'll be getting into it in a big way.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Lysa, Queen SeanBean's Katelyn's sister implicated Lannisters(the incest people), from what I remember. The people hanging out with the barbarians mongols are outcasts starting out with nothing but a name and a few last contacts.

When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

Edited by Purkake