Dragon Age 2

Pidesco

^ I'm hearing you brother, Bio now exists for me as an epic gaming development soap opera of hubristic awfulness, about to go supernova in a massive flaming inferno of their own smugness.

How many recent Bioware games have you played, again?

Sorry dude, having too much fun to reply. After BG2 / ToB I took a break from Bio games, then got dry-shafted by the PoS that was NWN1. That was the beginning of the end for me personally. Anyhoo, I played and quite enjoyed DA:Origins and Awakenings (which was OK-ish) and thought, finally, Bio was trying to scramble back onto the path of righteousness.

Boy, was I wrong.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Thought I'd give the place another chance. I've gotten a lot of good information here over the years, and Obsid have made some really great games over the years.

Too bad the people in their forums feel the need to bash games they haven't played.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Thought I'd give the place another chance. I've gotten a lot of good information here over the years, and Obsid have made some really great games over the years.

Too bad the people in their forums feel the need to bash games they haven't played.

Thought it was bashing the developers, not necessarily any specific game. Also HTFU :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ah. I don't follow the awards news too much, I only check the results. I'll retract that statement then.

we don't follow the awards news at all. couldn't tell you who won any game industry awards... for any year. some group o' "experts" telling us which games we shoulda' liked? HA!. however, the info we shared were posted on this board relative recent, so we remembered. that being said, if we were interested in such things, and were inclined to draw conclusions 'bout games based 'pon such awards...

*shrug*

in any event, we has been offered copies o' da2 from two peoples who quit the game. even so, as is our custom, we is gonna wait 'til a patch is released before we plays the game. so, am suspecting we will be waiting for another month before we get to play da2 as bio tends to release patches, meaningful patches, a considerable time post release date. in bio's defense, it seems that since the multi-platform era took hold o' the industry, most patches takes a long time to reach gamers... and the inevitable 1.01 stuff that is fixes o' pre-release issues not count in our estimation.

HA! Good Fun!

Err...call me confused???

http://social.bioware.com/page/da2-patches

Has been out for days...

It sure looks like it says

Dragon Age II Patches

Dragon Age II 1.01

GENERAL:

Fixed save game issues on single core machines

Fixed game asking for non-existent drives

Fixed release control issues where some players were unable to unlock correctly

Fixed a Steam-specific issue related to VO not playing after switching languages

Dragon Age II 1.01 (all languages)

Download Size: 9MB

Oh wait, you mean like a REAL patch or something (whatever that is...mayhaps 1.02 or 1.1...or something released for both PC and Consoles simultaneously)????

AKA...something that might not really fix the bugs (as for consoles it had a few, but overall seems pretty solid to tell the truth...at least compared to some older releases a while back on Consoles by Bio...not naming names though), but more towards content? I consider the 1.01 a pretty official patch and have heard it fixed issues.

or, maybe you are asking for something else???

Edited by greylord

i love it here, most of the bashing i find amusing, and there can occasionally be genuine or (semi-interesting at least) discourse on games, which is more than I can say for any other forum I've been to.

also to monte: you really didn't play ME2? its a damn fun game, not really an rpg, but fun nonetheless.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i love it here, most of the bashing i find amusing, and there can occasionally be genuine or (semi-interesting at least) discourse on games, which is more than I can say for any other forum I've been to.

also to monte: you really didn't play ME2? its a damn fun game, not really an rpg, but fun nonetheless.

I consider it the dang best RPG I've played. That means it beat out all of Bio's and BI's older games (and by BI I mean both BI and Obsidian) for gameplay and story. It has more complexity in leveling up than many an japanese RPG, and a few Western RPG's as well...so people complaining about that are simply elitest in my book.

I already tried the gold box games...you can take those super RPGs back since I constantly died on them anyways...I think they cheated...and let me play the new shiny ones....

:sorcerer:

Addendum: Actually, now that I think about it, ME2 has deeper leveling then the Gold Box games overall...where you basically just levelled up...and that was it...I guess you had inventory management...but if you consider that is what makes an RPG...I bet your loving accesorizing your Grand Turisimo games.

Edited by greylord

i'm not in the mood to argue about what is or isnt an rpg, I'll just say that its ok with me that you consider ME2 an rpg, but I don't.

I love the game, but it's definitely not what I would call a pure rpg.

also: just because its not an rpg doesnt mean its bad or that I don't want it. I play more non-rpg's than rpgs anyway.

edit: cmon dude did you seriously suggest that I think gran turismo is an rpg if I don't think ME2 is one? you obviously know nothing about my taste so don't assume things about me based on one post.

bad form.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i'm not in the mood to argue about what is or isnt an rpg, I'll just say that its ok with me that you consider ME2 an rpg, but I don't.

I love the game, but it's definitely not what I would call a pure rpg.

also: just because its not an rpg doesnt mean its bad or that I don't want it. I play more non-rpg's than rpgs anyway.

edit: cmon dude did you seriously suggest that I think gran turismo is an rpg if I don't think ME2 is one? you obviously know nothing about my taste so don't assume things about me based on one post.

bad form.

I was being sarcastic. I know, hard to convey that on a forum. Exaggerating it to the point of making a point about what some feel about inventories and their complaints of ME2's simplification (I actually loved the simplification. At first it was sort of...WTH...but once I settled into the game...I started to love it, and when I replayed ME1 started realizing how much I missed ME2's inventory in comparison. Of course, in ME1 I had a LOT more money...and omnigel...)

Addendum: As for form...I've been working on the form for ages...but my technique just leaves it sloppy...so I've given up on getting good form since then. I guess that explains all the scars I have showing. (Diving and ME2 reference for those who don't get it, so no one takes offense again).

Edited by greylord

its cool, sarcasm can be tricky, particularly since there are people who genuinely make similar statements.

I hadn't gotten a troll vibe from you in earlier topics so I probably should have realized you weren't volourning me.

its cool, sarcasm can be tricky, particularly since there are people who genuinely make similar statements.

Yeah, text is always a pretty horrible medium for conveying sarcasm or sincerity. :sorcerer:

Anyway, Yahtzee reviewed Dragon Age 2.

That -could- work. Dialogue wheel of "Fanboy Response" "R00fles!!", "Cynical statement", "Random abuse", etc. Flame post based combat may get repetitive though.

So basically a reskinned Dragon age 2 with battles involving the legions of /b/, Bioware fans and Obsidian fans. The darkspawn could be replaced by a foray into the strange lands of Metacritic where you find the plot McGuffin of the mystical "User review" button. The Qunari could be the upstanding moral guardians who insist that there should be no gore and LGB love.

With one choosing between Obsidian vs. Bioware for the last act, of course.

That -could- work. Dialogue wheel of "Fanboy Response" "R00fles!!", "Cynical statement", "Random abuse", etc. Flame post based combat may get repetitive though.

So basically a reskinned Dragon age 2 with battles involving the legions of /b/, Bioware fans and Obsidian fans. The darkspawn could be replaced by a foray into the strange lands of Metacritic where you find the plot McGuffin of the mystical "User review" button. The Qunari could be the upstanding moral guardians who insist that there should be no gore and LGB love.

With one choosing between Obsidian vs. Bioware for the last act, of course.

Who are you and where did you get this cool idea?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I kind of used to, but the frenzy team Bashir whipped themselves into around DA2 release was downright... boring. Couldn't agree more with the 2nd part of your quote there.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I kind of used to, but the frenzy team Bashir whipped themselves into around DA2 release was downright... boring. Couldn't agree more with the 2nd part of your quote there.

How was it any different? The only difference for DA:O was Monte pleasuring himself in tunnels. :sorcerer:

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

i did too, but the game has some serious problems.

I hate it with passion but I still come back to it every now and again, even though I skip the dialogue and play on Casual.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I skip the dialogue and play on Casual.

this might be why you hate it :lol:

Planning to download it this weekend, yay for change of billing period. Fscking Bell Canada.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hate it with passion but I still come back to it every now and again, even though I skip the dialogue and play on Casual.

What's the point of even playing it if you skip the dialogue and play on a level where combat isn't even a challenge? Those are pretty much the only two reasons to even play it. :verymad:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I skip the dialogue and play on Casual.

this might be why you hate it :verymad:

I hate the characters, I hate the romance, I hate the art style, I hate the repetition in dungeons, I hate how enemies respawn in my face for no good reason, I hate the story (except maybe the Qunari and Varric's quests) and I hate the utterly ridiculous gore. Basically I hate it because it's a Bioware game.

What's the point of even playing it if you skip the dialogue and play on a level where combat isn't even a challenge? Those are pretty much the only two reasons to even play it. :ermm:

I skip the dialogue because I've already read it (and it's mostly **** anyway) and I play on Casual because I suck at the game, but I do like the combat. Except during MMO-style boss fights with a million health and when enemies appear out of thin air (fire whoever thought this wasn't utterly retarded, enemies just *appearing* into combat is a sin against gaming), which isn't all *that* often.

Also I like trying all the different classes, they really do play differently and the game has that Diablo-esque feel to it where you just want to get one more level or try that new skill before you stop playing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"I hate the characters, I hate the romance, I hate the art style, I hate the repetition in dungeons, I hate how enemies respawn in my face for no good reason, I hate the story (except maybe the Qunari and Varric's quests) and I hate the utterly ridiculous gore. Basically I hate it because it's a Bioware game."

This is one of the best quotes ever... yet he still plays it. That says everything. :rolleyes:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I hate the characters, I hate the romance, I hate the art style, I hate the repetition in dungeons, I hate how enemies respawn in my face for no good reason, I hate the story (except maybe the Qunari and Varric's quests) and I hate the utterly ridiculous gore. Basically I hate it because it's a Bioware game.

The characters, romances and story are uniquely Bioware, but the art style, repetition, respawning enemies and ridiculous gore are copied from anime, Warhammer Fantasy and every budget game this side of the millennium.

I skip the dialogue because I've already read it (and it's mostly **** anyway) and I play on Casual because I suck at the game, but I do like the combat. Except during MMO-style boss fights with a million health and when enemies appear out of thin air (fire whoever thought this wasn't utterly retarded, enemies just *appearing* into combat is a sin against gaming), which isn't all *that* often.

Also I like trying all the different classes, they really do play differently and the game has that Diablo-esque feel to it where you just want to get one more level or try that new skill before you stop playing.

I suggest you try a harder difficulty and either edit your team's tactics or micromanage more instead of playing DA2 like an action RPG. I don't understand what you mean by enemies appearing into combat not happening often, since I can remember every night-time Kirkwall battle, every foray into Sundermount, every quest involving caves and every engagement in the Deep Roads somehow have enemies spawn right out of nowhere.

Levelling up beyond level 20 in DA2 is a bad idea, ideally you want to hit Act III End at level 20 so your equipment is either better than what you should be packing or at least not woefully obsolescent due to scaling equipment ratings, so that hampers character growth quite a bit.

tl;dr: Don't play DA2 if you're looking for the fun of levelling up and exciting battles. You'd be better off playing Diablo 2, Torchlight or FATE.

"I hate the characters, I hate the romance, I hate the art style, I hate the repetition in dungeons, I hate how enemies respawn in my face for no good reason, I hate the story (except maybe the Qunari and Varric's quests) and I hate the utterly ridiculous gore. Basically I hate it because it's a Bioware game."

This is one of the best quotes ever... yet he still plays it. That says everything. :rolleyes:

Playing a game != enjoying a game. I personally hated Dragon Age 2 for everything except the story, but I still finished the game out of a sense of gamer... honour? Obligation? Something, at any rate. Did I play it? Yes. Did I enjoy it? No. Would I rate it higher than a 4.0? No.