RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

Seen the Katarina trailer?

I'm annoyed by the choice of attire so far.

Guns are cool though! :D

hah, funny, I actually didn't like the guns but liked everything else about the character :shrugz:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Markets don't think it's success. Stocks are still down about that 20%. I think they are correct too as they have shipped 2,6 million units, but only have managed to sell 1 million world wide. And this is with 2nd day bargain bin price (well, just -$10 from full price). We have to remember that this game was very expensive to develop and marketing budget was sizeable too. Low metacritic score killed this game.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Seen the Katarina trailer?

I'm annoyed by the choice of attire so far.

Guns are cool though! :D

hah, funny, I actually didn't like the guns but liked everything else about the character :shrugz:

I liked both the guns and the character.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

you win! :shrugz:

although, one thing I did like was how she'd spin the rifle around her hand Terminator 2-style before firing

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I think that the only reason that she comes along is to get money to get some proper clothes.

While high heels and formfitting clothing makes for nice eyecandy, my brain hates it. Alot. :/

Frikkin chainmail bikiniwarning.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I don't know what to think, the studio doesn't have any experience with rpg genre besides one terrible hack'n'slash (Loki).

On the other hand:

Cyanide has chosen to offer us a story-driven RPG, citing Planescape Torment, Baldur
Edited by PoetAndMadman

First phase: getting hyped over nothing.

Second phase: first screenshot comes out, cries of "it's ****".

Third phase: more screens and previews come out, forum starts getting divided on wheter it will be a good or a bad game.

Fourth phase: a positive preview/gameplay video from a trusted source. Forum gets hyped.

Fifth phase: a trivial detail gets spotted. Expectations plummet down.

Sixth phase: game comes out. It's mediocre.

Isn't that the same developer that turned Blood bowl into an action game?

What? As far as I know, their adaptation of Blood Bowl is a strategy game, complete with turn-based games (if you so choose, if memory serves me right).

I've been playing a bit Crysis 2, and I must say I'm very impressed. Technically abolutely outstanding, bot graphics and sound and music, art direction miles better than the predecessor, and gameplay and level design feel very challenging and invite you to utilize all tools and tactics at your disposal. The level design is semi-linear, still allows you to approach bad guys in some different ways. I especially like sneaking upon some CELL guy and stealth kill him. Kicking cars is also fun. Opposed to some reviewers, I think the AI is one of the better ones. Overall it's much better than Crysis 1.

is it better than, say, Half-Life 2?

Walsingham said:

A large number of player comments on Crysis 2 seem to fall into 2 camps:

PC gamers: meh or bleh

Console gamers: Greatest game ever

So I don't know. I was going to buy it, but now not sure. If its just a mediocre experience for thos who have familiarity with the pc-centric traditon of fps games then I'm not inclined to buy it at full price.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

i was going to skip crysis 2, but ive heard enough good things that I'll pick it up when it goes to half price. I hated crysis 1 so my expectations are really low for this (though i did like farcry...)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

For the record, I'm playing this on PC and I don't feel the game is dumbed down. It has more structure to the gameplay now that it isn't so open like Crysis 1 but I like that way better, because Crysis 1 was a borefest.

I've read comments that the suit systems are less interesting and more automated than in the first game. For example, not only do you automatically acivate the suit's speed system when you run, but you can't run WITHOUT the suit automatically activating, and that running with the suit enhancement isn't particularly fast to begin with now.

What's your take?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

For the record, I'm playing this on PC and I don't feel the game is dumbed down. It has more structure to the gameplay now that it isn't so open like Crysis 1 but I like that way better, because Crysis 1 was a borefest.

I've read comments that the suit systems are less interesting and more automated than in the first game. For example, not only do you automatically acivate the suit's speed system when you run, but you can't run WITHOUT the suit automatically activating, and that running with the suit enhancement isn't particularly fast to begin with now.

What's your take?

Maximum Speed in C1 was pointless to begin with.

There's now a tactical mode that let's you target bad guys for tracking, there's the Armor mode which I find myself using more often, also stabilizes your aim and dampens falling from heigh. And of course invisibility, and the tactical modules for your weapon.

So I don't know. I was going to buy it, but now not sure.

No point to buy PC FPS at full price unless game is something like Half-Life 3. Shooters are dime in dosen and they will be sooner or later in steam holiday sales. I think I've bought most of the FPS in past 5 years (or in this console generation started from Xbox360 in 2005) for 5-10

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.