Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Guest Slinky
Oblivion was a lot more fun playing with OOO when you could be walkign down a road at level 2 and suddenly come face to face with a minotaur king. Ooops. ;)

Couldn't agree more. The first time I saw a frost titan I though "more meat to the slaughter!" Well, I think it smashed my shield with one or two hits and beat me in to bloody pulp afterwards.

The game with it's problems can actually be really fun with OOO, it shall be seen will Skyrim need such a mod.

For me, in an open world rpg, a big part of the fun is never knowing when my character is goign to turn a corner and come face to face with something utterly terrifying.

Oblivion's vanilla mechanics completely destroyed that feeling, there was neither risk nor reward wandering the world.

Which made the whole experience rather dull.

Oscuro's had a few problems, but overall, it really helped the gameplay for me.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The big difference between FO3 and Oblivion was that in FO3 there were high-level enemies in some parts of the world even when the player was level 1.

Same in Oblivion.

Sort of, +10 player level isn't the same as a hardcoded level 20.

Oblivion was a lot more fun playing with OOO when you could be walkign down a road at level 2 and suddenly come face to face with a minotaur king. Ooops. :p

Suddenly running into a high-level creature out of the blue is ridiculous, it just means you die and reload. It's pointless. There should at least be a warning that there are high-level creatures around, like in Gothic 1/2 and FO:NV, where there are deathclaws not far from the starting area.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The big difference between FO3 and Oblivion was that in FO3 there were high-level enemies in some parts of the world even when the player was level 1.

Same in Oblivion.

Sort of, +10 player level isn't the same as a hardcoded level 20.

Oblivion was a lot more fun playing with OOO when you could be walkign down a road at level 2 and suddenly come face to face with a minotaur king. Ooops. :p

Suddenly running into a high-level creature out of the blue is ridiculous, it just means you die and reload. It's pointless. There should at least be a warning that there are high-level creatures around, like in Gothic 1/2 and FO:NV, where there are deathclaws not far from the starting area.

Sometimes my characters would die, sometimes they wouldn't. Like I said, it's the never knowing what might happen that makes open world exploration fun. The only moments I really remember from playing Oblivion are those times something really nutty happened. Like one time a super powerful sorceror chased my level 2 character all around the giant lake around the Imperial City. He killed about 10 guards in the processs and finally blew my char up with a single fireball. It was awesome.

I'm not the only one who enjoys that type of thing. OOO was a super-popular mod, and it made the lower level game MUCH harder.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm not the only one who enjoys that type of thing. OOO was a super-popular mod, and it made the lower level game MUCH harder.

OOO is definitely better than vanilla Oblivion but yes, the initial difficulty is ridiculous. Slaughterfish were the bane of my existence.

I found the biggest problem with OOO was that it made some of the early quests, especially those with NPCS, extremely difficult. For example, if you want right to Castle Kvatch at level 1 or 2, the quest could spawn in full-fledged Clannfears who would proceed to rip apart all the guards and were mostly unkillable at that stage of the game.

But still, overall, it was such an improvement on Bethie's handholding and dull gameworld mechanics that I can't really complain.

Neogaf has 6 screenshots up. The reception seems to be mixed.

Definitely over-brightened/contrasted in the original ones - the altered ones posted are better.

Distant mountains look nice compared to previous games. Armor & indoor floor/wall textures still seem a little blurry/not very hi-res but no biggie. I'm sure I'll think they're awesome while in motion/playing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The most obscene thing about that screenshot is the fact that Threedog literally tells you what he does in those exact words, someone at Bethesda thought mindless parroting was a sign of intelligence.

To be fair, Bethesda doesn't actually have any intelligence. Why bother? It just affects magika and they can just directly raise their magika instead.

Seems MK's writing won't be directly included in Skyrim, bit of a bummer that :)

But, for the record, none of my recent work will make its way into Skyrim. That's not going to stop me from writing more, though. Whether it's considered canon or not: I could give a flying [censored].

Link

On the bright side, the conversation makes it clear that his writing is being used for inspiration.

There aren't many RPGs coming out this year (ie. til the end of 2011), so Skyrim's on my radar due to lack of other options. But it's release doesn't give me the same sort of anticipation I get from, say, an Obsidian release or, yes, a BioWare release.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

As long as Bethie sticks with what made FO3 work and doesn't revert back (too much) to Oblivion-esque game design, Skyrim should be decent enough.

Most of the info they've released seems to indicate that they recognize a lot of the problems of Oblivion are going to attempt to fix them.

Even if it doesn't work, I can't fault the effort.

So...$150 for the CE and the dragon's made out of PVC. PVC.

Well, in an emergency you could use it to repair your plumbing. :lol:

they were some of the best quests though

I recognize that the idea that the DB quests and TG quests are better than the rest is a commonly held concept regarding Oblivion, but I've never seen it. ALl the quests are equally ****ty. It's not a problem with them quests themselves, per se, but the utter lack of consequence or excitement to anything in the game world.

Edited by Slowtrain