Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

I recognize that the idea that the DB quests and TG quests are better than the rest is a commonly held concept regarding Oblivion, but I've never seen it. ALl the quests are equally ****ty. It's not a problem with them quests themselves, per se, but the utter lack of consequence or excitement to anything in the game world.

I'd have to agree about the lack of consequences, a new building in the waterfront is all you really get for completing the TG quest line and I can't even remember what happens after the the DB quest. The majority of the quests themselves were fun though, I especially liked the subtle way the DB were introduced, a few rumours, a man put in the dungeons for performing rituals and eventually if you happen to murder an innocent, you get the visit from Lucien.

The Mages Guild had to be the most atrocious quest line, utter derp from start to finish as I recall, though I suppose that resurrect staff you get from Mannimarco was a decent reward, I remember going into dangerous (OOO) dungeons and using it to build little armies of undead, leading them on massive rampages into the deeper areas, good clean chaos.

*edit*

Ouch, looks like the UK is getting shafted, 129 pounds is roughly $212...do I really want a plastic dragon *that* much?

Bugger it, just pre-ordered the standard release for 30 pounds (with release day delivery), plus I get a fancy cloth map, shove your dragon statues up your arse.

Edited by WDeranged

I can see lots of people forking out the cash. Still..PVC ? Not Pewter or something ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I recognize that the idea that the DB quests and TG quests are better than the rest is a commonly held concept regarding Oblivion, but I've never seen it. ALl the quests are equally ****ty. It's not a problem with them quests themselves, per se, but the utter lack of consequence or excitement to anything in the game world.

I'd have to agree about the lack of consequences, a new building in the waterfront is all you really get for completing the TG quest line and I can't even remember what happens after the the DB quest. The majority of the quests themselves were fun though, I especially liked the subtle way the DB were introduced, a few rumours, a man put in the dungeons for performing rituals and eventually if you happen to murder an innocent, you get the visit from Lucien.

The Mages Guild had to be the most atrocious quest line, utter derp from start to finish as I recall, though I suppose that resurrect staff you get from Mannimarco was a decent reward, I remember going into dangerous (OOO) dungeons and using it to build little armies of undead, leading them on massive rampages into the deeper areas, good clean chaos.

I think the FG quest line was just as "good" as the DB and TG; it was different but suited the guild appropriately.

The problem is that the whole damn world is so bland and unegaging that nothing is particularly interesting.

FO3 had the same problem to some degree with its quests, though there were improvements. Bethesda just hasn't shown itsef to be very good at making quests that are engaging. I'm not expecting that to change with Skyrim.

But as long as the world is reasonably interesting, a la FO3, it should still be fun to play around with.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I still think The Shivering Isles is the best of Oblivion, it was a nicely made world and the quests and dungeons all fitted in, practically every NPC had new dialogue depending on what you'd done.

Fallout 3 blew me away at the time but of course I hadn't played the first two, either way it was a definite step up in world and quest design for Bethesda...apart from the Meresti vampires, uhg.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the ending too, wtf?

Edited by WDeranged

I can see lots of people forking out the cash. Still..PVC ? Not Pewter or something ?

Yeah, I see a lot of soon to be impoverished parents there.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Anyone else get a chance to watch the 40 minute Skyrim demonstration from QuakeCon? There's a video floating around that Zenimax is trying to take down but some people have the 720p version already. :)

I think it's the stuff from E3 again. From the video:

-Game looks incredible in motion

-MUCH better animations

-Combat looks improved but still seems a little clunky

-UI is slick and consolized

-Crowd is annoying

Watched it. Game looks good, but combat looks a little bit clunky as you said. I just hope we don't get attacked by dragons every five minutes. It was a day one purchase, but I've decided against getting it now. Already have too many games pre-ordered:

Batman: Arkham City

Dark Souls

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Tales of the Abyss 3D

Xenoblade Chronicles

Will last me for the rest of the year. Will never be able to trim the backlog.

I watched it too. Got a superoblivion vibe.

I think that?s a good thing. Oblivion was a ok game after all and has alot of room for improvement.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

At this point I'm pretty sure Skyrim will be pretty decent. As good as FO3 at any rate. I'm actually looking forward to it. WHich is kind of surprising considering how much I disliked Oblivion. But FO3, imperfect as it might have been, earned Bethie a lot of credit. I'm willing to write off Oblivion as some kind of horrendous blunder on the part of Bethie's rpg dev team.

Daggerfall, Morrowind, and FO3 have all been good to great. So 3 out of 4 is pretty good overall.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oblivion put off existent RPG fans to some extent while cultivated new fans, of which the designers seem to be quite conscious, judging from the info so far. While they cleaned up the character development system, they made crafting system more complex, it seems, probably for keeping the playability of the learn-by-doing system while allowing some players to indulge themselves with some depth. We cannot tell how the game-balance goes yet but, at least, gamesystem-wise, there seem to be decent efforts put into it. That said, I don't think their writing magically gets better, which keeps my expectation moderate at most.

That said, I don't think their writing magically gets better, which keeps my expectation moderate at most.

Totally agree. I'm just accepting that the writing is goign to continue on par from the last couple, hopefully a little better, but no expectations. But Bethesda seems to be very consciously overhauling a lot of the game mechanics, some of which appears to be due to things learned in FO3.

SO over all, I'm reasonably positive.

Not going to preorder it though! :facepalm:

I never understood the unbelievably high scores Oblivion got by gaming sites. Other than more polish, I don't see much difference between Oblivion and Two Worlds, which scored much lower almost universally.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i think a lot of the critics who gushed over oblivion simply hadn't seen such a game before, coming from a console background.

oblivion had a lot of WOW factor if you only played it for about 10 hours. it was only after longer did so many of the hideous flaws become apparent (for many people)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i think a lot of the critics who gushed over oblivion simply hadn't seen such a game before, coming from a console background.

oblivion had a lot of WOW factor if you only played it for about 10 hours. it was only after longer did so many of the hideous flaws become apparent (for many people)

Morrowind was on console too.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Morrowind was on console too.

yeah but you know they didnt play it :shifty:

edit (it was before the hype machine really got growling for bethesda)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Oblivion was extremely well-timed. It came out right after the 360 was released, and it really cashed in on being the first big RPG game on the new generation of consoles. It also looked pretty swank (if you didn't make eye contact with any NPC's) and so it was a pretty easy blockbuster.