What you did today

Gorth

Watched a History documentary about "Weird Weapons".

Some quite funky things in there. The Aircraft Carrier designed of ice. Well, ice mixed with sawdust. Which apparently made it resistant to shattering and could even be shot at close range and would ricochet bullets without taking harm.

The only reason it didn't get built? They found out that the only way to create it would be to build refrigeration units that would end up using more steel and metal then would be used to build the carrier from metal in the first place...

Or the Russians in WW2 who trained dogs as tank-busters. To run under tanks with mines strapped to their backs and automatic triggers.... But they made the mistake of training them with Russian tanks that ran on diesel, while the German Panzers used Gasoline. Lots of cases of friendly fur.

Hm, is it weird that I kind of feel that that's a little bit more sick and twisted then actual suicide bombers?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched a History documentary about "Weird Weapons".

Some quite funky things in there. The Aircraft Carrier designed of ice. Well, ice mixed with sawdust. Which apparently made it resistant to shattering and could even be shot at close range and would ricochet bullets without taking harm.

The only reason it didn't get built? They found out that the only way to create it would be to build refrigeration units that would end up using more steel and metal then would be used to build the carrier from metal in the first place...

Or the Russians in WW2 who trained dogs as tank-busters. To run under tanks with mines strapped to their backs and automatic triggers.... But they made the mistake of training them with Russian tanks that ran on diesel, while the German Panzers used Gasoline. Lots of cases of friendly fur.

Hm, is it weird that I kind of feel that that's a little bit more sick and twisted then actual suicide bombers?

Pykrete?

remember hearing about it somewhere. sounded kinda funky

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Had a day date with this new lady I'm seeing today. We went to a Redbirds game and watched them put a 7-1 beat down on the Iowa Cubs. After that dinner and wine at the Spaghetti Warehouse. It was nice.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Had a day date with this new lady I'm seeing today. We went to a Redbirds game and watched them put a 7-1 beat down on the Iowa Cubs. After that dinner and wine at the Spaghetti Warehouse. It was nice.

Spaghetti Warehouse makes me think of giant store that sells nothing but huge jars of ingredients for spaghetti. What an awesome name for a restaurant. :mellow:

Red Sox swept the Angels, w00t. Even the always annoying Lackey didn't suck. We're no longer in last place! hehe

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Pykrete?

remember hearing about it somewhere. sounded kinda funky

I think Mythbusters took a look at Pykrete and the "ship made of ice" in an episode some time ago...

Apparently have a pimple on my nose. Hurts like **** and is generally quite embarrassing at my somewhat advanced age. Change in diet + epic stress'll do that to you, I guess.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Got recalled from site. Funnily enough that decision was made last week but they forgot to tell me. Ah, Initech.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Worked, spent the last hour and 10 minutes there with just me and one other person (out of FIVE) who knew how to do anything beyond front counter. Ment that one of us was always taking orders while the other micromanaged every food item and customers' order as best they could (needless to say at least two people got lost because of a distinct lack of communication from the three who had very little clue as to what to do).

Oh, And we ran out of Fish so that had people at our throats.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Apparently have a pimple on my nose. Hurts like **** and is generally quite embarrassing at my somewhat advanced age. Change in diet + epic stress'll do that to you, I guess.

:thumbsup:

I don't get them often, but I still get the occasional zit. Hormones probably. Ahem. What I hate is when you get a zit right on/in the under-edge of a nostril.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just doing a quick set of pushups.. when suddenly there's a rustling noise..and the cat bounces down the stairs with a plastic bag in it's mouth. He stops about 4 inches from my face, looks at me, mews, and then starts wildly humping the bag right there. :thumbsup:

Kind of distracting to the concept of pushups.

:lol:

I don't get them often, but I still get the occasional zit. Hormones probably. Ahem. What I hate is when you get a zit right on/in the under-edge of a nostril.

The only ones I hate more than those are the ones inside the ear or the inwards part of a buttcheek.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I ate too many (in the shell, salted) sunflower seeds. One of those few things that I have a difficult time stopping at one handful even after my tongue & lips start burning. Just had an urge for them today so I bought a bag...

Also, dear local Comcast, your HD signal compression gets worse every year. Bite me.

a zit right on/in the under-edge of a nostril.

Having now seen myself on a mirror, it's "bingo". Still manages to make basically half my face sore. FFs.

Struggling with procrastination today. And I keep getting distracted from that by other assorted mini-tasks that need dealing with.

... and putting it that way does look kind of funny.

Server is down at the office, so I'm slacking more than usual. It's let me reflect upon an idea for a story I started conceptualizing last night.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hubs has one of those Xoom tablets for a week (he's testing it to see if a client wants/should get a bunch, vs. ipads) and so I tried it. The screen is very nice looking. The size and weight isn't bad. But...

...these touchpad tablet keyboards suck. They're too small to actually hover your hands over the 'keys' like a proper keyboard and so you're still hunting and pecking. There's a small delay/lag between you hitting a key and it showing up on screen so it's confusing. Having to hit a key to switch between numbers & letters. The keys are so sensitive that even a slight brush with a finger types a letter etc. It took me 2 minutes to type a 100 chr tweet w/out any errors in it.

Also, webbrowsing, the 'slide the finger' to scroll is annoying if a webpage has too many buttons that you're going to hit constantly while making the motion.

Do you ever get used to all that or ... ? Gawd I'm an old fart.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Never ceases to amuse me when people think I'm a retired officer. Although it can be rather sticky if - as today - somebody refers to you as such five times in twenty minutes. I never know whether to let it slide past and hope they only say it once, or stop them and point out I was only a private with very precise diction.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never ceases to amuse me when people think I'm a retired officer. Although it can be rather sticky if - as today - somebody refers to you as such five times in twenty minutes. I never know whether to let it slide past and hope they only say it once, or stop them and point out I was only a private with very precise diction.

I'm tempted to roll out the private/major/general **** joke, here. :thumbsup:

While it's staying quite bright and sunny, the temperature seems to have dropped and tis turning quite chilly.

My sister brought the dogs back and the puppy wandered into my room and took a leak by the window.. :thumbsup:

I'm going to exercise my mind a little with some sudoku and logic problems before I have to do the run up to the doctors to pick up the value pack of prescription pharmacuticals.

Edit:

And for the silly news story of the day -

"Pets" Should be called 'Animal Companions'

Trying to suggest we should use a new style of pc language to encourage better treatment of animals. Including dropping the terms "beasts, vermin, creatures" from academic papers and then common usage. Oy Vey.

Edited by Raithe