Crysis 2 pirated

Serrano

there was an indie pack that was selling for whatever you wanted to pay awhile back, and people still pirated it.

Of course they did, indie games are terrible. If I had paid money for some retro-platform rubbish made by some tit who thinks 'bart simpsons vs the space mutants' is the greatest game ever, Id kill myself.

Yeah, but you're a nortorious pirate, who tried to become a games developer (and failed). Your just bitter because you wasn't invited to be a member of the elite club, so you pirate games in a sad attempt to get your own back :shifty:.

How close to the truth am I?

:ermm:

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Reasonable to pirate first, maybe buy later for a lot cheaper? You see no problem with this, at all?

huh? :ermm:

let's see

Or at the very least they'll decide to wait for the "goty" edition, and pay 10 % of what they would've needed to pay for the game originally. :shifty:

how's waiting for a goty edition piracy? or am I missing something? I didn't quote your whole post for a reason taht time

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

some games this type of thing wouldnt work for, ie team fortress 2 or other multiplayer games where there is no real story progression etc

Don't see how it wouldn't really. You get to try the multiplayer for 1 hour and that's that. Sure, there is the multiple account issue, but how annoying would it be to dl the full game after every hour of play?

Anyone going through such lengths to avoid paying for a game is most likely never going to buy it in the first place. True, such a person will put some strain on the steam servers, but with a secondary layer of control (such as an IP check or computer name or mac-adress that kicks in after say 10 downloads) it can be made a lot harder.

there was an indie pack that was selling for whatever you wanted to pay awhile back, and people still pirated it.

Of course they did, indie games are terrible. If I had paid money for some retro-platform rubbish made by some tit who thinks 'bart simpsons vs the space mutants' is the greatest game ever, Id kill myself.

Couldn't have said it better myself, ****ing indie trash. Where are the real games?

Uh...it isn't like a necessity to play every game ever released. If you don't want to drop a buck on a few indie games because they are crap, then why play them at all?

Couldn't have said it better myself, ****ing indie trash. Where are the real games?

Uh...it isn't like a necessity to play every game ever released. If you don't want to drop a buck on a few indie games because they are crap, then why play them at all?

Because he's a pretentious **** and he wants it for free.

obviously the thought of these games existing is unbearable.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Probably because pirating is easy and doesn't require a credit card. Not everyone has them you know, young teenagers probably don't. What's the law on that, I forget.

Well, I do agree that the majority of pirates are young kids with entitlement issues. Most of us here have admitted to piracy in our 'young and dumb' years.

Phew, was wondering when that buzzword would finally pop up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, not really. Mostly dishonesty more than anything. Either that or apathy towards the developers on the way to the poor house >_<

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, not really. Mostly dishonesty more than anything. Either that or apathy towards the developers on the way to the poor house >_<

While I agree those are decent labels for pirates, the amount of boasting I see online from people who pirate makes me question the dishonesty part. Many of these people are surprisingly candid about their illegal activity.

(Perceived) anonymity of the internet. I've not come across much boasting about it, plenty of high horsed rage at times.

Because he's a pretentious **** and he wants it for free.

No, it's because I need to be able to know what Im talking about to troll more effectively. You can get the indie nerds pretty angry by saying for example that 'world of goo' is overrated, but you can get them really steaming if you can make a coherent argument as to why exactly that is. :D

...also, advertising is like totally as cool as games. When I watch tv and I see that toothbrush commercial, I can go "I modeled and shaded that!" to all my friends. >_<

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Maybe it's just me, but I think you could make a dent in piracy simply with a concerted effort to rename it. If it were called, say, "nutlicking" instead, I'm not so sure you'd have quite as many fat kids eager to claim the label.

I'd also like to see developers given free rein to upload copies of their games to popular torrent sites, with trojans aplenty included. I'd go for ones that brick whatever they're downloaded onto.

I'd also like to see developers given free rein to upload copies of their games to popular torrent sites, with trojans aplenty included. I'd go for ones that brick whatever they're downloaded onto.

That would be very effective - but unfortunately quite illegal.

Fortune favors the bald.

Alright, how 'bout one that simply sends the IP address of the user and the name of the game pirated to, say, an FBI server?

Alright, how 'bout one that simply sends the IP address of the user and the name of the game pirated to, say, an FBI server?

The problem with that is that the US has no power to regulate whats put on servers/torrents that exist outside of the country. It may be somewhat effective for those inside the US that pirate, but I think thats a drop in the ocean.

The Swedish anti-piracy organisation(http://www.antipiratbyran.se)employ sniffers who automaticly record IP-adresses of key torrents. Then they select the ones they think are possible to prosecute and go from there. Hasnt really worked. And there have been viruses and trojans made by what people believe are software and media companies, back in 2004 there was a virus that destroyed only mp3 files for example

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Eh, not sure how effective. They have comments and I assume some way of verifying the group that put the release out (wishful thinking there, hah).

No, it's because I need to be able to know what Im talking about to troll more effectively. You can get the indie nerds pretty angry by saying for example that 'world of goo' is overrated, but you can get them really steaming if you can make a coherent argument as to why exactly that is. :D

...also, advertising is like totally as cool as games. When I watch tv and I see that toothbrush commercial, I can go "I modeled and shaded that!" to all my friends. :-

Yeeaaarp, You're bitter!

Have you thought about games journalism?

Edited by Nightshape

Eh, not sure how effective. They have comments and I assume some way of verifying the group that put the release out (wishful thinking there, hah).

We are assuming they are not doing that already. I know they have been uploading garbage torrents with nothing in them and providing plenty of seeds simply top throw a wrench into the illegal downloading activity. They have also been monitoring IPs and sending out 'warning letters', Which can actually be very effective if there are parents involved. It's problematic though, as during this monitoring period they are most likely allowing the spread of their copyrighted material.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It's also problematic because the torrents 'know' they are being monitored and either block IPs known to be monitoring or seed dozens of spoofed IPs to them.

On the subject of mass mailing of 'warning letters' I noted with despondency that ACS: Law folded a week or so ago. It is truly a tragedy that retired pensioners on dial up will no longer get letters demanding payment of fines in lieu of court action for no reason other than someone on a torrent spoofing their IP.

The warning letters are symptomatic of the problem - namely that anti-piracy measures are largely toothless. Sure, you get the occasional lawsuit from the music industry now and then, and it makes the news, but by and large most people know they've got a very, very good chance of never being that guy who gets sued.

As an example, my brother, when he was living in Florida, filled up two terabyte HDs with nothing but pirated flicks. He got warning letters from his ISP a total of three times, and even had his 'net shut off once. He just switched providers.

The occasional, symbolic lawsuit just isn't enough to make a dent in piracy, and I dunno what is, honestly. I absolutely hate Ubisoft's DRM scheme, and avoided buying games I wanted to buy because of it, but I don't see a better solution, even if it isn't foolproof.

The warning letters are symptomatic of the problem - namely that anti-piracy measures are largely toothless. Sure, you get the occasional lawsuit from the music industry now and then, and it makes the news, but by and large most people know they've got a very, very good chance of never being that guy who gets sued.

As an example, my brother, when he was living in Florida, filled up two terabyte HDs with nothing but pirated flicks. He got warning letters from his ISP a total of three times, and even had his 'net shut off once. He just switched providers.

The occasional, symbolic lawsuit just isn't enough to make a dent in piracy, and I dunno what is, honestly. I absolutely hate Ubisoft's DRM scheme, and avoided buying games I wanted to buy because of it, but I don't see a better solution, even if it isn't foolproof.

You cannot get rid of piracy through enforcement of copyright laws - those rely on general compliance rather than enforcement to work.

Basically, until public opinion of piracy has shifted enough that it is generally considered a rotten thing to do and the majority of people don't do it for that reason, piracy will be a problem. For music, this probably will never happen unless the music industry realizes their current business model is stupid and unworkable. For games, I'm really not sure - I don't pirate games, and I don't know how big of a problem piracy of video games actually is.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies