Crysis 2 pirated

Serrano

It's threads like these that make it pretty obvious that this is a forum filled to the brim with pirates and a couple of retarded console kids (such as myself), who are just too stupid to play games for free. ;(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sorry but what should they be called otherwise? ;(

I dunno, what would you call a person who bought a stolen phone from someone for 1/10 of the actual price? surely not a thief? what if he got that phone as a gift from his friend who bought it from a person who in his turn got it from the thief? what do you call him then? because this happens all the time at pawn shops and whatnot

by the way, you can start a thread about Killzone 3 now, too (42 GB? my god, why would anyone even consider downloading it)

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I dunno, what would you call a person who bought a stolen phone from someone for 1/10 of the actual price? surely not a thief? what if he got that phone as a gift from his friend who bought it from a person who in his turn got it from the thief? what do you call him then? because this happens all the time at pawn shops and whatnot

by the way, you can start a thread about Killzone 3 now, too (42 GB? my god, why would anyone even consider downloading it)

Aside from very poor countries, that category of pirates has all but died down, and is certainly not really that relevant to our discussion. :p

It's threads like these that make it pretty obvious that this is a forum filled to the brim with pirates and a couple of retarded console kids (such as myself), who are just too stupid to play games for free. :p

That's some conclusion to jump to. The RIAA beckons you! ;(

I always thought the act of cracking any protection and releasing it into the wild was considered piracy, but then again not sure what'd you call the people who buy the fake Gucci bags or cheap DVDs in Chinatown.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's threads like these that make it pretty obvious that this is a forum filled to the brim with pirates and a couple of retarded console kids (such as myself), who are just too stupid to play games for free. :p

That's some conclusion to jump to. The RIAA beckons you! ;(

I think it's a reasonable suspicion, in face of the fact that everybody is making excuses for pirates. :p

Sorry but what should they be called otherwise? :p

Here its called "receiving of stolen goods" and carries roughly the same penalty as theft. I'm sure most civilised countries have similar statutes, not sure about Russia.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Here its called "receiving of stolen goods" and carries roughly the same penalty as theft.

ugh, that's tough ;(

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Pawn shops have many legal restrictions they have to abide by. I know in California, they have to report anything they receive to the police and hold onto it for 30-days in case it comes up stolen.

And yes, if you are in possession of stolen goods, you will be charged.

I'm not saying people downloading shouldn't be charged with anything. it's just a lot different from actually cracking and uploading and shouldn't be tossed in the same basket.

there's actually a pretty big process going on in Moscow at the moment. a recording company has charged a student with stealing and he's facing up to 6 years in prison for providing links to 18 licensed tracks on a social site. it's a big fuss because he's definitely not the only person doing that, and a lot of people think going after him and not the site's administration is wrong.

Walsingham said:

Damn that's one large image. But eh, people go through 200 with the awful internet service here, where there's a will there's a way. ;( As for this leak, most people tried it and have decided to wait for the actual release, the build is that rough (then there's the rumours that it tags your PC as a pirate - in which case...)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

it actually makes sense. nobody in his right mind would buy it but would at least try it out and see if it was actually as bad as everyone had made it sound.

(then there's the rumours that it tags your PC as a pirate - in which case...)

are they allowed to do that by the way? because that would be one way of dealing with some pirates. make them at least consider before downloading and installing something on a home PC

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

The tagging isn't confirmed so no clue if the person claims it's just for Crysis 2 or going to some BSA database or something similar. I guess it could be allowed, just claim it's a release from SKIDROW or Razor, heh.

Since someone 'stole' or 'copied' the master key illegaly, it must have been an inside job? Who else has access to all these things like the master key for the online activation services...

edit:

The assumption or guess here seems to be that an illegally copied game is equal to a lost sale. I'm not sure that it is so - necessarily. Alan Wake would maybe only have sold 600,000 copies (and a bit more) rather than the about 1,7 million copies if we add the 1,1 million + the 0,6 million up. And the reason behind this is that not all people who illegally copied this game would have bought it, maybe only 1 in ten would have done so...

Edited by aries101

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Oh, the rage. ;( I'm surprised he didn't call pirates "**** in all of that. I guess they really should hate their employees though - is a good way to stick it to your company I suppose.

Edited by Malcador

Can't say I sympathize with the author there, his snobby tone and illogical nonsequiturs make it hard for me to take him seriously. When I see some hard data that piracy is seriously harming the video game industry, and some legitimate analysis of said data, I'll take it seriously.

And I don't even pirate games.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

yeah, his logic is a bit off. but he does make some valid points

Walsingham said:

The assumption or guess here seems to be that an illegally copied game is equal to a lost sale.

I haven't seen anyone claim that, here or in that linked article. The point isn't that the developer/publisher is losing money every time someone plays a pirated game illegally.

The developer/publisher has released their work for a price. Pirates ignore that price and take the game without paying. It is wrong, and it is terribly frustrating for many of the people working on games. I don't know why anyone needs hard data to see that, it is basic common sense.

The assumption or guess here seems to be that an illegally copied game is equal to a lost sale.

I haven't seen anyone claim that, here or in that linked article. The point isn't that the developer/publisher is losing money every time someone plays a pirated game illegally.

The developer/publisher has released their work for a price. Pirates ignore that price and take the game without paying. It is wrong, and it is terribly frustrating for many of the people working on games. I don't know why anyone needs hard data to see that, it is basic common sense.

That it is "wrong" is "common sense," sure. That it severely hurts the market is not.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

well, we don't really know whether it does or doesn't. that's what bothers me about the publishers' position on piracy. they can't ever prove it does considerable damage, yet they want people to go to jail for it. doesn't make sense. I don't think fighting piracy should involve anything other then taking down sites and uploads.

Walsingham said:

well, we don't really know whether it does or doesn't. that's what bothers me about the publishers' position on piracy. they can't ever prove it does considerable damage, yet they want people to go to jail for it. doesn't make sense. I don't think fighting piracy should involve anything other then taking down sites and uploads.

Problem is that you take down one site and 3 new ones appear, I don't think that there is a direct mean to fight piracy. Other than making your product so unavailable that no one can use it :p

BTW we have been talking about piracy hurting PC gaming for a while and we haven't touched on Steam or GOG. They are obviously going strong and are much preferred than hard copies of games. Maybe it's the publishers inability to adapt to the differences of the PC market that has caused their losses.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I will be pretty bummed if Steam and GOG become the only way to continue playing PC games, but I guess I'll have to adapt.

Doesn't that prove that piracy is damaging to the industry in and of itself? Would we be in this situation if piracy was nonexistent?