Crysis 2 pirated

Serrano

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/11...rysis-2-leaked/

I have no words. Actually, I have some words- according to a thread of the Facepunch forums (which may or may not be deleted any second depending how the Facepunch server holds up), a developer build of Crysis 2 containing the full game, multiplayer and the master key for the online authentication has been leaked, and is currently freely available from all sorts of astonishingly illegal websites. This sounds like it might be a serious tragedy for Crytek. Crysis 2 was scheduled for release on the 22nd of March, so the leaked build could be dangerously close to finished. More on this as we hear it, and thanks to RPS reader James B for letting us know.

Another blow against pc gaming, the comments thread after the article also makes for depressing reading.

Edited by Serrano

Disgruntled devs. Then again, these guys pirated Maya right ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/11...rysis-2-leaked/

I have no words. Actually, I have some words- according to a thread of the Facepunch forums (which may or may not be deleted any second depending how the Facepunch server holds up), a developer build of Crysis 2 containing the full game, multiplayer and the master key for the online authentication has been leaked, and is currently freely available from all sorts of astonishingly illegal websites. This sounds like it might be a serious tragedy for Crytek. Crysis 2 was scheduled for release on the 22nd of March, so the leaked build could be dangerously close to finished. More on this as we hear it, and thanks to RPS reader James B for letting us know.

Another blow against pc gaming, the comments thread after the article also makes for depressing reading.

Right because all PC gamers definitively know how to pirate and have no morals. Half of them don't want the hassle, others don't like to wait, and there are those who actually believe in ethics. PC gaming is dead because gamers prefer console not because of piracy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Its just a nightly build, not the source code or anything. I doubt the people who were planning on buying the game are gonna go "Oh, guess Ill cancel my preorder and just play this bug-riddled mess right now instead!"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I said another blow, not that all the PCs woes stem from piracy. Do you really think this is going to have no impact though?

I think that the piracy problem is over dramatized by the industry and we have begun to join in the hysteria a little bit. Crysis was an exclusive PC release and performed well enough to generate a sequel, I wouldn't say die until it release.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I said another blow, not that all the PCs woes stem from piracy. Do you really think this is going to have no impact though?

I think that the piracy problem is over dramatized by the industry and we have begun to join in the hysteria a little bit. Crysis was an exclusive PC release and performed well enough to generate a sequel, I wouldn't say die until it release.

If more copies of pc games are pirated than are sold, which was suggested to be the case in another thread, then I think it's a pretty big problem. There's always a level of loss in a business that is tolerable and products are priced accordingly. But when the loss levels are that far out of whack, a company can't simply adjust pricing to make up for the loss. Even if the pirated copy does not always correspond to a lost sale, it sometimes does, and that is still a lot of lost revenue. Especially for a game that takes multiple years and thousands of developer hours to complete. It's a major problem for pc gaming that I don't think CAN be overstated enough.

Crysis sold what eventually, 1.5 million? It sounds good but is that really a lot? Crytek is a company that appears on the surface to be more comitted to the pc as a gaming platform than most, so having this happen is pretty unfortunate.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

If more copies of pc games are pirated than are sold, which was suggested to be the case in another thread, then I think it's a pretty big problem. There's always a level of loss in a business that is tolerable and products are priced accordingly. But when the loss levels are that far out of whack, a company can't simply adjust pricing to make up for the loss. Even if the pirated copy does not always correspond to a lost sale, it sometimes does, and that is still a lot of lost revenue. Especially for a game that takes multiple years and thousands of developer hours to complete. It's a major problem for pc gaming that I don't think CAN be overstated enough.

Crysis sold what eventually, 1.5 million? It sounds good but is that really a lot? Crytek is a company that appears on the surface to be more comitted to the pc as a gaming platform than most, so having this happen is pretty unfortunate.

I see what you mean, how piracy affects a particular company is different of how it affects the industry. Although I believe they were sort of expecting it thus the multiplatform release.

village_idiot.gif

Although I believe they were sort of expecting it thus the multiplatform release.

Yep, I agree. Every developer has to know that their pc game will be pirated eventually and make plans accordingly. Still, it's unfortunate that pc gaming will have to once again contend with another high-profile piracy issue.

Starcraft 2, which had pretty insane DRM, was downloaded illegally over 3 million times. It also sold 3 million copies. So basically a copy was pirated for every one sold. That is a pretty big problem.

I've heard numbers that suggest Crysis was pirated on far greater than a 1 to 1 ratio. As usual though with internet numbers, the credibility is always suspect.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Its just a nightly build, not the source code or anything. I doubt the people who were planning on buying the game are gonna go "Oh, guess Ill cancel my preorder and just play this bug-riddled mess right now instead!"

That's what I would do if I had a good enough computer, even if just for the campaign.

wait you're saying that if you had a good enough computer you WOULD steal crysis 2?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What I see as the main problem with PC gaming is the work it goes into into getting the game to run properly. From awkward control schemes, bugs and the system requirements. It's a lot of work for your average casual gamer that's used to putting a disc in playing immediately. Gaming has moved from technology conscious people to reach a broader audience whose computers are used mostly to check their facebook status.

The Millennials are a social breed, most games right now include some sort of social aspect. Unlike the Generation X who is very individualistic and self reliant, their gaming experience was private and personal. Which is what PC was back in the 90's, it was a personal possession. The games reflect that, now PC gaming is mostly MMOs.

village_idiot.gif

That's what I would do if I had a good enough computer, even if just for the campaign.

wait you're saying that if you had a good enough computer you WOULD steal crysis 2?

Piracy isn't stealing. It's like borrowing.

I hope you are kidding.

village_idiot.gif

No, piracy isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement. The two are different things.

Edit: It certainly isn't "borrowing," however.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

If you look at the figures and go "If a million people pirate our game, thats a loss of one million copies" you're counting like a small child. The fact is that something like 95-99% of the people who downloaded the game would just have not bought it, if it wasnt available as a pirate download. But sure, missing out on 10-50,000 copies isnt pleasant. Though its lot like you can do anything about it, I dont like getting older but theres nothing I can do about that, is there? Its just something you have to accept and move on.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Although I believe they were sort of expecting it thus the multiplatform release.

Yep, I agree. Every developer has to know that their pc game will be pirated eventually and make plans accordingly. Still, it's unfortunate that pc gaming will have to once again contend with another high-profile piracy issue.

Yeah, Rockstar has already made their plans apparent: No PC versions. I wonder which publisher is next?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, I think it's not really a comfort that, say, 800 000 people play your game for free, but they wouldn't have bought it anyway. :shifty:

Yea, I know. But it's pretty much how it goes with all these kids, students and unemployed adolescents. They can't afford to buy all those games they want and what they got is time and lots of it. Not sayin that's a proper excuse if there even is one.

Also need to add to my first post, we don't really know how many download the games in Europe/other regions just for the 2-5 days they would have to wait for the release even though they've pre-ordered the game. It's more than a little annoying to hear from your friends how they are playing Dragon Age like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

one of the employees made a mistake of letting his friend borrow the master copy of a game for one night, guess what happened to it. true story, I'm betting this is exactly what happened to Crysis 2. either this or one of EA's branches leaked it because they hire idiots. not much to do with piracy really, if this is the case.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

EA uses alot of external QA sweatshops who get paid very little for long hours of extremely repetitive work, so its not unlikely that some schlob in India or whatever just copied it on a USB stick and took it home.

If you look at the figures and go "If a million people pirate our game, thats a loss of one million copies" you're counting like a small child. The fact is that something like 95-99% of the people who downloaded the game would just have not bought it, if it wasnt available as a pirate download.

lol. Their speculation is nonsense but my speculation is TROO FAKTS!

The fact is that it's impossible to know just what percentage of people would buy the game if a pirated copy wasn't available, and both sides will simply argue whatever works in their favour.

not much to do with piracy really, if this is the case.

What? So the copy that is currently available on the net is legit? Good to know. Crytek are so generous.

What? So the copy that is currently available on the net is legit? Good to know. Crytek are so generous.

that's not what I meant.

people keep repeating "pirates stole". pirates didn't steal anything, some idiot employee did. EA should pay more attention to whom they grant access to important information. unless Crytek has been working for free all this time in hopes of racking up in royalties, this won't affect them. I remember when Half-Life 2 got leaked. so what?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.