Crysis 2 pirated

Serrano

Well it's not, really. If it's true, it's true, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I find paying for something you can end up trying to justify your purchase rather than being honest.
And I find that pirating something, you can end up trying to justify your piracy rather than being honest. Which lends to the speciousness of the entire argument.

But overall, how they got it matters not in their assessment, just how they present it and is it backed up.
Fair.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The worst thing for me is a person who pirates a game, and then proceeds to tell the world, its buggy, and it sucks, and that they finished it and hated it. They're the ultimate wankers in my opinion.

Actually, that's pretty much the situation in which I'd least object to piracy of games - if you're not sure you'd like a game, piracy is a good way to find out if it's worth buying without having to gamble your own money. Assuming, of course, that you buy it if you enjoyed it.

Edited by Oblarg

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Actually, that's pretty much the situation in which I'd least object to piracy of games - if you're not sure you'd like a game, piracy is a good way to find out if it's worth buying without having to gamble your own money. Assuming, of course, that you buy it if you enjoyed it.

Yeah, that's great. But exactly how many people are going to do that? I'm pretty sure most would think of a rationale (like the abovementioned - it suxx anyway!!11) to skip paying for it. Or at the very least they'll decide to wait for the "goty" edition, and pay 10 % of what they would've needed to pay for the game originally. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Or at the very least they'll decide to wait for the "goty" edition, and pay 10 % of what they would've needed to pay for the game originally. :down:

that's the most reasonable thing to do always. so many games get released every year, no reason to rush methinks :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Would anyone be surprised if the Witcher 2, a completely DRM-free game, gets leaked before release? It will be interesting to see how much that game will be pirated... maybe the final test for the PC gaming industry before finally going over to exclusively developing MMOs, indie & browser games.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

so long as PC games are making money there will be companies developing them. If your game costs 1M to produce/publish/advertise/pay salaries of employees/overhead etc etc, and earns 5M in sales, you've just made 4M in profit, regardless of whether or not 30M in pirated copies have been downloaded.

those numbers would certainly piss you off and you would try to minimize piracy to make MORE money, but from a bottom line standpoint, you still have made a 4M profit, enough to fund a few more 1M sized games.

not every company will agree, but there will be people happy to make the 4M.

The problem really arises when your game costs say, 10M, and only makes 9M. You've now LOST 1M, and if say, 30M in pirated copies have been downloaded, you know that if piracy were not to exist, you would have made at least your 10M back, (but undoubtedly not the full 39M because I think everyone can agree that not every pirated copy = a lost sale)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If you play a game all the way through until completion, it obviously couldn't be THAT poor of a game.

I'm much more forgiving for the guy that tries a game for a bit and then deletes it, rather than someone that plays a game through its entirety, and then makes rationalizations for why he shouldn't bother paying for it.

steam should allow you to download a title and play it for one hour before deciding to purchase it or not. That might curb some piracy IF there are pirates who actually download "just to try" (which i don't really believe is true, but I speak only from anecdotal, not statistical, knowledge)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If you play a game all the way through until completion, it obviously couldn't be THAT poor of a game.

or you could just be bored out of your mind and with loads of free time :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The worst thing for me is a person who pirates a game, and then proceeds to tell the world, its buggy, and it sucks, and that they finished it and hated it. They're the ultimate wankers in my opinion.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I think that could actually be an interesting idea. I don't know if there are any security concerns by giving users access for X time, but I think it sounds... well, sound :p

That's what D2D is doing with certain (mostly older) games, though they charge $5 which you get as a discount if you end up buying. I can't see it catching on, it would probably be difficult to implement and regulate properly, and an hours play if about half the length of some games nowadays.

steam should allow you to download a title and play it for one hour before deciding to purchase it or not.

wow, that could actually be fun, who's gone farther in the game in that one hour :p

Walsingham said:

double post.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I think that could actually be an interesting idea. I don't know if there are any security concerns by giving users access for X time, but I think it sounds... well, sound :p

That's what D2D is doing with certain (mostly older) games, though they charge $5 which you get as a discount if you end up buying. I can't see it catching on, it would probably be difficult to implement and regulate properly, and an hours play if about half the length of some games nowadays.

charging 5$ to rent a game for an hour is such a ripoff, i can only imagine it would make people want to pirate MORE. I definitely cant picture that type of scheme winning anyone over.

I'm talking about steam letting you click on any title you want, automatically download, play for an hour, then be asked if you want to buy the game.

it would let people try before they buy without putting anything on the line at all, which is apparently one of the arguments people use in favor of piracy.

I don't see how it could be that hard to regulate, you always get just the first hour of the game, so even if a person uses multiple steam accounts to get the first hour multiple times, they can only get so far into the game.

and if a publisher is dead set on releasing a $50 game and it only takes 2-3 hours to finish it... well then that's what you get for being a jerkface.

some games this type of thing wouldnt work for, ie team fortress 2 or other multiplayer games where there is no real story progression etc

can't you play steam games in offline mode?

Sure, but that expires over time and is known to be very buggy. Plus you still need Steam, and all the accompanying annoyances and restrictions, to run/install it.

or do you mean that you can't even install them without logging into steam?

That's one of the ways that Steam restricts you, yes.

>_<

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I think that could actually be an interesting idea. I don't know if there are any security concerns by giving users access for X time, but I think it sounds... well, sound >_<

charging 5$ to rent a game for an hour is such a ripoff, i can only imagine it would make people want to pirate MORE. I definitely cant picture that type of scheme winning anyone over.

Sorry, the d2d thing is $5 for five hours, so it's a decent amount of time. The second sentence was referring specifically to the 1 hour on steam idea but ended up implying both were an hour.

Or at the very least they'll decide to wait for the "goty" edition, and pay 10 % of what they would've needed to pay for the game originally. :)

that's the most reasonable thing to do always. so many games get released every year, no reason to rush methinks >_<

Reasonable to pirate first, maybe buy later for a lot cheaper? You see no problem with this, at all?

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

there was an indie pack that was selling for whatever you wanted to pay awhile back, and people still pirated it.

Of course they did, indie games are terrible. If I had paid money for some retro-platform rubbish made by some tit who thinks 'bart simpsons vs the space mutants' is the greatest game ever, Id kill myself.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

there was an indie pack that was selling for whatever you wanted to pay awhile back, and people still pirated it.

Of course they did, indie games are terrible. If I had paid money for some retro-platform rubbish made by some tit who thinks 'bart simpsons vs the space mutants' is the greatest game ever, Id kill myself.

Couldn't have said it better myself, ****ing indie trash. Where are the real games?

In my pants.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "