Best comic book villains

Walsingham

While I was posting in the games section I had to look up the Saint of Killers, from the Preacher series. In doing so I came across this filthy streak of mucus, in which IGN try to claim that Magneto is a better villain than either the aforementioned Saint, Grandma, Starr, or indeed the nutter one eyed guy from the Walking Dead series.

Please tell me I'm not the only person to see the phoney 2D hooha surrounding these cartoon cutout villains.

EDIT: Thought it might be nice to have a non politics thread.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

AAA comics.

Also, just because a comic it's edgy or gory doesn't mean that it makes a great villain. Arguably Magneto has more history than a newcomer making him an enough complex character to merit the award.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Doomsday is only #46! Whats this nonsense? He single handedly killed Superman!

I think that's mainly because his appearances since then have basically been him getting his ass handed to him by anyone with a smile.

As to Magneto, The guy gets it because he's one of the most... ambiguous characters. At one point in the 80's he ended up as the leader of the X-Men (Just before the Rise of Apokolypse) while Prof X was getting his mojo on with the queen of avian aliens. During the 90's he was moved back to the villian column when he learned that Moira Taggert had actually manipulated his DNA to make him "Nice" (or something similar).

Personally I prefer Darkseid as a villain... well him or Thanos (how can you say no to a nihilist who kills half the universe with a snap of his fingers?)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Magneto has a lot of history and personality, but honestly, I don't feel he's very iconic. I'd pick the number 2 choice, The Joker, over him in a heartbeat. Of course, everyone's burned out on The Joker since The Dark Knight and Arkham Asylum and he was a too obvious choice as well, so they passed him over.

Looked through the list and they're all very standard choices, Superhero comic antagonists. We need more non-Superhero villains on the list.

What happened to Magneto after House of M? That's about where I stopped reading X-men.

I believe he's back alive but depowered, of course I don't know if this is true.

None of the really great comics have a big baddie, so it's tough to come up with someone interesting. I like the Joker when he's written as "evil genious" (like in The man who laughs, Joker, Killing Joke) rather than his usual Mark Hamill-voiced "crazy clown", but since TDK that's highly unfashionable to say.

The Adversary from Fables is as big a big baddie as they come, and he's cool. Note, DO NOT read post #91 if you havent read fables because they spoil its true identity.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think part of that Kafty is that most villians have a GALLERY rather than one single "above them all" opponent. Of course 90% of the time the villians that enter that gallery start out pretty awesome and get moved into stereotype territory pretty fast (Bane, for example).

That said, I'm not sure why this guy is so friggin low

http://uk.comics.ign.com/top-100-villains/68.html

I mean COME ON!

Although he's not so much a villian as an anti-hero.

A lot of the villains peak with their initial presentation. You have a good idea, a certain panache.. but then once that introduction is over and past, they settle into rather average gumbo position rather then full blown classic evil villain type.

Although I half expected to see Unicron on that list somewhere.. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What was that villain in Spawn which extracted all the tears out of people?

Sorry, but Magneto? "Oooooh look at me, I'm super powerful, and I sometimes can't decide if I'm good or bad."

**** off. Doesn't scare me in the least. Real villainy is twisted and darkl it makes you understand them, then reject them as altogether alien. Not just a super hero with a more assertive pension plan.

Judge Death is a good one, but not a patch on Garth Ennis' bad guys.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well Magneto has moved to a fairly complex layer of motives these days. No longer just that whole.. one shot "i hate normals to protect mutants" rage and reverse racism. A lot of where he seems to come from is understandable. It's not like you can really empathise the Evil Villainy of types like the Joker or Judge Death.

Alien or insane villains might be scary at a certain level.. but the villains you can understand, that you could sort of recognise what might lead you into that behaviour.... :shifty:

I'm not saying Magneto is the greatest, but I can see why he ranks up there.

Best comic book villain ever: Zorglub

zorglub.jpg

Only Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing in the TV series "Dallas" comes even remotely close in irrestibly villaineous behaviour.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Lol, that takes me back.

:shifty:

True megalomania, grand scheming and dreams of domination. Not like a bunch of lycra wearing emos I could mention, running around whinging and going "Oh Woe is me" and "You are all gonna pay" ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Lucifer being on that list pissed me off. He's not a villain in his book or Sandman.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You want Lucifer, try Satan from the Judge Anderson storyline 'Shamballa'

shamballa2.jpg

Not perhaps teh deepest character, but one of the most memorable representations I've ever seen.

~~

As an aside, perhaps it would be beneficial to open the floor to ALL media villains. Perhaps get some feel for how the contest ought to be judged.

-Elwood Blues

As an aside, perhaps it would be beneficial to open the floor to ALL media villains. Perhaps get some feel for how the contest ought to be judged.

Or representations of Comic Villains in other media?

I mean, John Shea's representation of Lex Luthor in the old "Lois and Clark" was downright spot on for the stylish and smart Evil Mastermind. Definitely pulled off the whole magnificent bastard idea quite a few times.

While Gene Hackman's version was .. amusing for a movie, but an amazingly bad rendition of Luthor.

I mean, John Shea's representation of Lex Luthor in the old "Lois and Clark" was downright spot on for the stylish and smart Evil Mastermind. Definitely pulled off the whole magnificent bastard idea quite a few times.

While Gene Hackman's version was .. amusing for a movie, but an amazingly bad rendition of Luthor.

Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of LL was the best thing about Smallville.(apart from Erica Durance) Kevin Spacey's portrayal was also quite funny.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

You want Lucifer, try Satan from the Judge Anderson storyline 'Shamballa'

shamballa2.jpg

Not perhaps teh deepest character, but one of the most memorable representations I've ever seen.

~~

Those comics gave me nightmares as a child. Judge Andersson was always fighting really disgusting demons and crap :( I probably shouldnt have read heavy metal and those mags as a 7yearold but the grocery store had a very limited stock of comicbooks.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "