Preorder and DLC items

thesisko

I've been curious about this for a while - which type of RPG gamers actually wants powerful items given to them at the start of the game? Because it seems like it's supposed to be some kind of incentive to either preorder (buying the game before you've read reviews) or pay extra (DLC or collector's edition etc.)

I mean, I thought that for most people upgrading your items was part of the fun in playing an RPG. And surely it upsets the difficulty tuning if you start the game with more powerful items than are otherwise available?

Do people who want these items find the game too hard on Easy? If so, then the solution should be to introduce another, even easier difficulty setting...not sell extra items.

Or are there really many people who find upgrading your stuff just tedious and want to have one set of

It's not restricted to Obsidian, but it's very widespread - and in some cases predates DLC, as part of Collector's Editions and such. All recent Bioware games did this, for instance.

Not sure whether it's 1 or 2, I'd guess the former if I had to.

It's not restricted to Obsidian, but it's very widespread - and in some cases predates DLC, as part of Collector's Editions and such. All recent Bioware games did this, for instance.

Not sure whether it's 1 or 2, I'd guess the former if I had to.

I'm hoping so too, which reinforces my belief that publishers are evil and I'm glad Obsidian is relatively independent. As far as I know, none of their NWN2 games had this stuff.

I'm totally OK with DLC as lite-expansions though, looking forward to Dead Money coming to the PC.

There's a couple of other elements too..

A lot of the pre-order bonus stuff came out for companies that had a serious "fanbase" who would pre-order games because they liked previous games by the comany.. So in one sense there was a "give the fans something for loyalty" approach.

On the other hand.. human psychology is we like to feel we've gotten something for "free". Look at how often people will pick something up in a supermarket or grocery store thats on a "2 for 1" deal even when they wouldn't have picked up that 1 item on its own. So it encourages people who might be interested in a game to pre-order because of the sense of getting something for free rather then having to spend time completing quests or such in-game.

The amount of pre-orders for a game can seriously sway a companies budget and how the game is considered by the big bosses. So throw in office politics, and you can see why they want to tempt more people to pre-order.. :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

There's a couple of other elements too..

A lot of the pre-order bonus stuff came out for companies that had a serious "fanbase" who would pre-order games because they liked previous games by the comany.. So in one sense there was a "give the fans something for loyalty" approach.

On the other hand.. human psychology is we like to feel we've gotten something for "free". Look at how often people will pick something up in a supermarket or grocery store thats on a "2 for 1" deal even when they wouldn't have picked up that 1 item on its own. So it encourages people who might be interested in a game to pre-order because of the sense of getting something for free rather then having to spend time completing quests or such in-game.

The amount of pre-orders for a game can seriously sway a companies budget and how the game is considered by the big bosses. So throw in office politics, and you can see why they want to tempt more people to pre-order.. :)

I know why companies want people to pre-order, I don't understand what type of RPG players want free(or bought) stuff....for me finding and upgrading gear is a big part of the fun. Do you think the majority of RPG gamers prefer to be given/buy stuff?

I'm hoping so too, which reinforces my belief that publishers are evil and I'm glad Obsidian is relatively independent. As far as I know, none of their NWN2 games had this stuff.

Didn't the collector edition of NWN2 have the "Blessed of Waukeen" perk or something?

I just now that I'm quite indifferent toward today's 'bonus' items, but that I still am a fervent user of the bonus vendors in Baldur's Gate 2. The power of some of those items is insane, be it the wizard's robe, the slingshot +5 with unlimited ammo or the tower shield that sends back the rays from beholders and such. Those were funny items, lots of easter eggs too.

The pubs do it because it's cheaper and easier to ship a digital goodie than a physical one.

Me, I don't like the free stuff, and haven't used it when I've got it for precisely the reasons you describe.

Now if there was something which only activated later... like a cooler house in a beter position? :) :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I got something for free because I preordered Fallout: New Vegas.. but I was never sure exactly what it was. A wasteland pack? A ranger pack? Not sure. I know I got a shotgun for free, but since that didn't suit my play style I immediately sold it after I found it in my inventory.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I like free stuff and use it all the time. I don't pay extra for it, more times i pay less. So what if someone on the internet thinks it makes a game easier, to me it's all about how much fun i can have and some preorder/bonus/... items just offer a lot of fun.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I think DAO (and Hot Pursuit - and baldur's gate 2) did the "bonus" gear stuff quite well - the "bonus" stuff isn't something that gives you ultra-powerful gear at the start of the game, but instead gives you an option among different higher-tier items/cars at a later date in the game (DAO had preorder stuff of the other variety, as well, though...). This I actually like, the Mass Effect 2/Fallout NV etc. approach a lot less (though, TBH, the only REALLY good preorder item for ME2 was the Blackstorm Projector, and it wasn't exactly overpowered, certainly not longer than for the first recruitment mission or two.)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I've been curious about this for a while - which type of RPG gamers actually wants powerful items given to them at the start of the game? Because it seems like it's supposed to be some kind of incentive to either preorder (buying the game before you've read reviews) or pay extra (DLC or collector's edition etc.)

I mean, I thought that for most people upgrading your items was part of the fun in playing an RPG. And surely it upsets the difficulty tuning if you start the game with more powerful items than are otherwise available?

Do people who want these items find the game too hard on Easy? If so, then the solution should be to introduce another, even easier difficulty setting...not sell extra items.

Or are there really many people who find upgrading your stuff just tedious and want to have one set of

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's about:

1) Kissing up to retailers, to get stuff like good in-store placement, and sometimes piggyback advertising.

2) Boosting pre-orders, which is a metric that publishers and developers watch closely.

Game publishers know that there are large subsets of gamers who are driven heavily by completionist or perfectionist motivations-- some people can't stand not being able to collect everything, and some people can't stand going without something that might provide some advantage in their quest to pwn everything in the game.

I remember ME2, I remember all the pre order armors unique to each retailer, I remember the masks and gun that were available to only those who constantly drank Dr.Pepper. Now they sell us all the weapons a piece at a time.

Quite frankly I'm tired of this DLC gimmick, seems like a cheap way to swindle us of our money. It's not about completionism, ME2 lacked in the weapons and armor department more so than it's predecessor. Not quite fair that they sell us the game one piece at a time.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't mind item DLC's, as long as they are sold and not cheap (See: Baldur's Gate), not just given at an early intervention or at throw-away prices (Blood Dragon Armor in Dragon Age).

Although pre-order/shop exclusives are a pain in the ass, forcing you out of chuncks of actual gamecontent (especially aggrevating if the ingame content is lacking, as mentioned ME2) just to suitor some shop. :)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"I'm hoping so too, which reinforces my belief that publishers are evil"

They're evil because they give bonus items? WOW! That's a twist to the definItion of evil if I ever did see one. L0LZ

It be like complaining that car dealerships are evil if they give you a discount if you pay cash or give you a bonus feature if you buy the car at a certain time. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You can call anything 'bonus' including content that feels more like it belonged in the vanilla game. It really pissed me off that Napoleon Total war sold with just about every non standard unit as part of a DLC or special edition. When I get too much of the car salesman vibe I usually back off. it's bad across the board these days though.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

DLC is only ok if it really is something extra. In most cases its just stuff taken out of the original game, and that's pure shennanigans.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's about:

1) Kissing up to retailers, to get stuff like good in-store placement, and sometimes piggyback advertising.

2) Boosting pre-orders, which is a metric that publishers and developers watch closely.

Game publishers know that there are large subsets of gamers who are driven heavily by completionist or perfectionist motivations-- some people can't stand not being able to collect everything, and some people can't stand going without something that might provide some advantage in their quest to pwn everything in the game.

Regarding option 1, I think it might be more the other way around. I was floored at how much Gamestop was offering us to include custom items for their preorders of DA2.

DLC is only ok if it really is something extra. In most cases its just stuff taken out of the original game, and that's pure shennanigans.

Not really, no. I've never seen a game where the DLC was required to actually complete it.

Maybe you are referring to cut content, in which case, your choices are to either never receive the cut content, or pay a few extra bucks so it is worth the extra development time to finish that content.

It's like selling a car with the doors, windows and everything on the dash optional. Is it a car ?, yes, is it what you wanted - no.

No, it isn't. You couldn't even USE that car.

You can completly finish a game though.