What are you playing now?

Tigranes

Been playing World of Tanks for a month or so now, and I though it would be good thing to write a guide how to play the game. Most players already are playing by these unwritten rules, so why not write them down so new players would know hot to play it from the start! Here goes:

World of Tanks is a team based game. so the very most important thing is to NOT play as a part of that team and use any means at your disposal to weaken your teams chances to win. Here are some basic tips:

- Never ever, under any circumstances, help your fellow team member. If you see an enemy moving to flank your team member, DO NOT intercept the flanker! Instead keep doing what you were doing behind that rock, like picking your nose.

- If you are defending base, and the flank near you is attacked by clearly bigger force than the defenders can stop, DO NOT go to help! It's always better to keep picking your nose behind that rock until the attackers get through and kill you.

- If you are the closest team member to your base, and a enemy has managed to slip through to your base and is currently capping it (taking over which will result in winning the game), DO NOT go defend the base! That nose of yours need picking, remember?

- If you are playing on euro server, DO NOT speak in english! Use your native language so most likely at least 80% of your team do not understand a word you say. No one will understand your warnings or tips, ain't that cool!

- And last but not least, remember: If you die, it's because your team members are fu**ing noobs! Remember say that many many times in the in-game chat!

I could go on and on, but I think you got the idea :grin:

WoT frustrates me like there's no tomorrow, but every once in a while you get to be part of a good team and that makes it all up, did you win or loose does not matter.

playing Battlefield Play4Free currently and most of the things you've said apply quite nicely to it too :grin:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

WoT frustrates me like there's no tomorrow, but every once in a while you get to be part of a good team and that makes it all up, did you win or loose does not matter.
That pretty much applies to all team-based online games, at least in my experience. Back then when I was serious about CS, I stopped playing in open servers altogether... there was no point. Clan vs clan and in-clan training matches being the only way the game plays as it's meant to be played mean that playing with strangers is basically a waste of time at best, and the way to an early grave at worst. That said, it can be pretty amusing to park your jeep in the middle of that runway. That's a Battlefield griefing classic, right there. And, if you do it right, the plane pilot will be punished for teamkilling. Not that I've ever done that myself, no sirree. :grin:

Ironically, the hassle of finding a decent bunch of players inclined to teamplay is the biggest turnoff for online games for me these days...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Was playing this:

http://www.phoboslab.org/ztype/

First try scored: 4016, accuracy: 90.8% (around wave 38)

What a quirky little game. I got 5244 (95.1% accuraacy) on my first attempt, died somewhere around wave nr 35 because I was checking another tab. Firefox decided to crash during my second attempt, oh joy.

Anyway, I finished Dead Space. I liked it alot, is that good enough a reason to buy the sequel for $60?

Was playing this:

First try:

Score: 4516

Accuracy: 95.8%

Wave: 30-31 ish. Don't remember exactly what level it was.

I lost because my keyboard didn't register a keystroke in the middle of a word. It didn't click in time for me to finish the word and get the next one before it hit me. You need to kill those big ones fast before they let out their swarm of smaller ships. And I hate you now because I'm going to end up playing this for half the day.

Edited by Deraldin

I played it a couple of weeks ago and what bothered me wasnt so much my teammates, but the fact that the game continously puts you with high-level players in tanks you have no chance of defeating. I made it to tier 4 before I got so pissed off that I uninstalled the beta, and even then I was matched against heavy tanks that were invulnerable against even a fully upgraded gun.

Oh, and also its more fun to do tank combat in battlefield than this game, which is kind of a big failiure gameplaywise. The only reason youd play the game is to get a big ****off tank that you can utterly rapegrief lower-level players with, the game itself is about as stimulating as watching paint dry.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I played it a couple of weeks ago and what bothered me wasnt so much my teammates, but the fact that the game continously puts you with high-level players in tanks you have no chance of defeating. I made it to tier 4 before I got so pissed off that I uninstalled the beta, and even then I was matched against heavy tanks that were invulnerable against even a fully upgraded gun.

Two things:

1. This is why the game is team based and not all against all. Every tank class has it's own job. Lights scout ahead, mediums use their speed to take important spots and defend them till heavys arrive. Tank destroyers are the snipers and SPG rain hell on people. You can't roam the map with a "I kill you all!" attitude, you need to know what you can and should be doing.

2. The games match making system is still wonky and it's being constantly worked on. Still, I have seen MANY times where tier 1 leichttraktor or similar has been put to a game where everybody else is tier 5 and up. I once shot one loltraktor with a tiger, which was hilarious. The loltraktor driver wasn't probably laughing.

Oh, and also its more fun to do tank combat in battlefield than this game, which is kind of a big failiure gameplaywise. The only reason youd play the game is to get a big ****off tank that you can utterly rapegrief lower-level players with, the game itself is about as stimulating as watching paint dry.

Haven't really played any battlefield so I can't compare, but I really like the seemingly tactical system in WoT, where people need to know their job and concentrate on that.

Hm, so this is sort of like Aces High, but with armour ? Sounds interesting.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Was playing this:

First try:

Score: 4516

Accuracy: 95.8%

Wave: 30-31 ish. Don't remember exactly what level it was.

I lost because my keyboard didn't register a keystroke in the middle of a word. It didn't click in time for me to finish the word and get the next one before it hit me. You need to kill those big ones fast before they let out their swarm of smaller ships. And I hate you now because I'm going to end up playing this for half the day.

I got to wave 40 and quit because the difficulty hardly increases between each wave. I played the first 30 waves and it felt like it doesn't get any harder.

I understand making a game start off easy, but why slow down the progression?

the game is team based and not all against all. Every tank class has it's own job. Lights scout ahead, mediums use their speed to take important spots and defend them till heavys arrive. Tank destroyers are the snipers and SPG rain hell on people. You can't roam the map with a "I kill you all!" attitude, you need to know what you can and should be doing.

As I could tell, there were no specialized roles for anything except artillery. Big tanks are faster, better armoured and pack more punch than small ones. There is no point in using any other type of tank. Tank destroyers doesnt take as long to level up, but are severely limited with their low armour and lack of turret.

The whole MMO thing just looks like an attempt to hide a substandard game that lacks the gameplay variety to keep people interested, if they didnt have the "I bet the game will be fun once I unlock a big tank!" carrot to sucker you with. If it was just a multiplayer game like Battlefield or Red Orchestra, no one would play it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Finished Origins. Happy endings for everyone! Except Brother Berkel. Poor Brother Berkel.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Onto Awakenings. Playing Origins again has made me hopeful for DA2.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

mmm, cross stitch. I wasted years doing that in art school

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Hm, so this is sort of like Aces High, but with armour ? Sounds interesting.

Have no idea what kind of a game Aces High is, but check out the games FAQ and/or try out the open beta, if you are interested.

As I could tell, there were no specialized roles for anything except artillery. Big tanks are faster, better armoured and pack more punch than small ones. There is no point in using any other type of tank. Tank destroyers doesnt take as long to level up, but are severely limited with their low armour and lack of turret.

There are roles, trust me. It makes a huge difference to the whole game if people accept their roles and do what is expected from them. If you want always be able to kill anything on the field, this game isn't for you. No matter what tank you have, you are NEVER a invincible tool of destruction.. unless the match making bugs out and put you on a really low tier match..

But what are these supposed roles? Light and medium tanks are just superfluous if there are bigger tanks in the match.

Replaying New Vegas for the third time. How in Feth are there still enormous areas I seem to have wandered past on ethe previous two play throughs? And why are nightstalkers so terifying? And where do babies come from? Outside Mojave?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But what are these supposed roles? Light and medium tanks are just superfluous if there are bigger tanks in the match.

In a game where are all types of tanks:

Light tanks:

Very fast, but die fast and cant kill alone anything than other lights, artillery or low tier TD's. Main role is to scout, either for the big guns or for artillery. If a tank slips near enemy line without been seen by them and hides in a bush, he will see moving enemies before him. When he sees them, so do everybody else on your team, allowing them to shoot without fear of getting shot back, at least not accurately. Other ways are to speed around behind enemy lines giving targets to artillery and hunting down enemy artillery. Life expectancy is short, but the damage to enemy just might be enough for a win.

Mediums:

Mainly for support role. Can't usually (but can be done) kill a heavy of the same tier alone, but can do some real damage to them. Being fast, they are excellent at flanking enemies and taking important spots when the game starts. Can also beat the crap out of heavy tanks if they team up.

Heavys:

The main battle tanks. Can take a beating and make some serious damage, but have looooooonngggg reload times, so they are vulnerable for fast attacks if they are alone. Also being slow, enemy artillery loves to target them.

Tank Destroyers:

Do not have a rotating turret and have strong armor only in front, which makes them the perfect defenders and sharp shooters. They have massive firepower which makes even biggest heavy tanks hesitate, but if you manage to flank them, they are toast.

Artillery do what they are meant to do, shoot from a distance with a big gun but very inaccurately.

When people do their roles, the team a very strong opponent. Problem is, there's so many people who either don't understand what they should be doing or just plain refuse. Light tanks acting like heavy tanks, heavy tanks acting like light tanks and so on. It's not to fun lose 15-2 when your team do the strangest things and enemy team is organized and that happens way too often.

I got to wave 40 and quit because the difficulty hardly increases between each wave. I played the first 30 waves and it felt like it doesn't get any harder.

I understand making a game start off easy, but why slow down the progression?

The difficulty does continue to ramp up (when you get a few of those mothership types coming in). But the game tends to crash once I get past wave 40 though (i have gotten to wave 42 and 45, and then FF crashed).

When people do their roles, the team a very strong opponent. Problem is, there's so many people who either don't understand what they should be doing or just plain refuse. Light tanks acting like heavy tanks, heavy tanks acting like light tanks and so on. It's not to fun lose 15-2 when your team do the strangest things and enemy team is organized and that happens way too often.

Some people just don't focus on teamwork. They're just in it for the flashing lights and the occasional win by random chance.

I've seen the most bizarre and aggravating things in both Red Orchestra and Left 4 Dead 2. A lot of which I can only suppose comes from twitch games where the only thing you seem to do is move about in a brownian fashion and shoot at anything which moves. Which is kind of why I play the games I do, because if you try that in Red Orchestra you'll get whacked by the experienced players who work together; and if you try it in Left 4 Dead then you last an even shorter time.

I should say that I don't consider myself a good gamer, in the sense that I am slow, and poor at shooting. But I do what I'm told, and I tell my team mates what I'm doing, and I help others. Which I like to think is why I get so many invites every time I log on. Unless it's just because I always say please and thankyou. :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I tend to play every multiplayer game like it's team deathmatch regardless of what we're really doing. And most game rewards taking that route, giving you more stuff and thingies for killing stuff than capturing strategic points etc. Your skill as a player is also usually determined by your kill/death ratio, and not how many team games you've won.

If you want multiplayer teamwork, the game needs to both have the actual tools to do it, aswell as the reward players for doing it. World of Tanks has neither.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

I should say that I don't consider myself a good gamer, in the sense that I am slow, and poor at shooting. But I do what I'm told, and I tell my team mates what I'm doing, and I help others. Which I like to think is why I get so many invites every time I log on. Unless it's just because I always say please and thankyou. :lol:

I bet it's because of both, I'm not surprised at all that you get invites. Willingness to work with your team + positive attitude = :sorcerer:

I tend to play every multiplayer game like it's team deathmatch regardless of what we're really doing. And most game rewards taking that route, giving you more stuff and thingies for killing stuff than capturing strategic points etc. Your skill as a player is also usually determined by your kill/death ratio, and not how many team games you've won.

If you want multiplayer teamwork, the game needs to both have the actual tools to do it, aswell as the reward players for doing it. World of Tanks has neither.

Okay, that's cool.

You are actually right that the game doesn't reward players for teamwork, which is a shame, but what do you mean with the tools?

Played the Bulletstorm demo today, and wow, this game stinks. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Yup, it sure sucks. I played it through a couple of times, and it just sucked more with each iteration.

Has anyone played Killzone 3 or Crysis 2 yet?

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!