FO: NV (General Discussion)

CoM_Solaufein

But I also assume I'll be able to drop a lot of fixes .esps

I just use the unofficial patch. It includes kind of every fixmod that is out there in the world.

Biggest one is missing of course. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

hah, that's a nice idea. but I don't know if I'd want to play the game like that.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There's also a bunch of weapon tuning in it. ^______________________________________^

Can't be even a little more specific than that? You're such a tease. :p

I just use the unofficial patch. It includes kind of every fixmod that is out there in the world.

I'm too much a control freak for mods like that. One at a time for me. Plus I've been lucky enough that I don't need many "fixes"...either I don't have the issue or don't see what other's don't like as being an "issue" in the first place.

I like making my own mods that suit my personal taste better, anyway. IWS/BooneWarnFix/Umpa/NPC Spawner/one clothing mod/CHA multiple companions and sandbox mod are still the only non-me made mods I use. I try others now and then but invariably end up deleting them. Picky picky picky..... :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No. Unofficial patches have far too much crap crammed in that does not lie in any way in the realm of fixes. I prefer trying to control what ends in my load order as much as possible.

Also this mod http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40340 is really cool.

Ooo Ooo Ooo, that looks useful. I play without the HUD on at all or only at 1 'bar' of visibility, because I can't stand staring at it all the time. Ruins the look, ruins screenshots...the only time I miss the HUD is when I'm trying to pick things up or tell if something is red/theft w/no crosshair-text....so I could use only 1 bar of visibility but use this mod to turn it entirely off when I don't need to read stuff. (I'd still use no HUD period for videos...) Thanks for the link!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No. Unofficial patches have far too much crap crammed in that does not lie in any way in the realm of fixes. I prefer trying to control what ends in my load order as much as possible.

Also this mod http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40340 is really cool.

Not this one, imo. Other mods you could use with it are named, but not added.

hah, that's a nice idea. but I don't know if I'd want to play the game like that.

I am doing it right now and I think it feels really good. With Fallout 3 I can understand that it would suck, because of the way the dialog is written. But in FNV it fits pretty good. So far the game was more fun to me than before. Hell, I talked with Legate Lanius at the end of the game in a way I haven't done it all the times before, because I couldn't pick any other dialog option than the [speech 100] ones...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

There's also a bunch of weapon tuning in it. ^______________________________________^

Can't be even a little more specific than that?

There may still be adjustments to make before the patch is released, but it's mostly about making sub-standard weapons better and a few conspicuously "too good" weapons a small step less effective.

Most of the weapon adjustments in this patch were done to make unattractive weapon options attractive. Usually that meant improving them. In a few cases, it meant that a weapon in the same category that significantly outclassed everything else had to be dialed back. In general, I'd guess the "make better" to "dial back" ratio is about 6:1ish.

Most of the weapon adjustments in this patch were done to make unattractive weapon options attractive. Usually that meant improving them. In a few cases, it meant that a weapon in the same category that significantly outclassed everything else had to be dialed back. In general, I'd guess the "make better" to "dial back" ratio is about 6:1ish.

Any tuning done on explosives?

Yep. They're no joke.

Watch out, though. The bad guys use them, too.

Ultimately to their detriment. *VATS in on dynamite*
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Always wondered how a mad super mutant with a grenade machinegun would feel like.

Early on in development the Nightkin Jailer in REPCONN Test Site had a GMG and it was a controller-hurling moment for most of the people on the team. It was also before Nightkin de-cloaking for attacks was implemented, so you just had this invisible dude across a dark room shooting grenades at you. You'd round the corner and in three seconds three or four of your limbs would be crippled and you'd be at 25% health.

Thanks for that info, J.E.

I like the sound of explosives that are more...explosive, especially if it includes hand grenades. I love the masses of grenades enemeis use in the IWS mod but they're hardly a big threat...this could be interesting! :D

Early on in development the Nightkin Jailer in REPCONN Test Site had a GMG and it was a controller-hurling moment for most of the people on the team. It was also before Nightkin de-cloaking for attacks was implemented, so you just had this invisible dude across a dark room shooting grenades at you. You'd round the corner and in three seconds three or four of your limbs would be crippled and you'd be at 25% health.

:lol: Oh I'd love to be able to try that out just once. It would probably make me cry, but I'd still love it.

Speaking of the IWS mod, which relies on NVSE for it's main spawning capabilities (no NVSE means it'll only spawn a little bit of extra baddies), there's a thread in the beth forum re: a supposedly conspicuous absence from the NVSE creators. eg, they're not responding to emails and such. So people are a bit worried that it may not be updated again. But we're all hoping they're just on vacation or something. :)

Yep. They're no joke.

Watch out, though. The bad guys use them, too.

That sounds great. Explosives are my favorite aprt of the whole Fallout 3 + combat mechanics universe.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I would actually agree with that. Count me in in the whole "harumph don't like this new-fandangled blabla gimme turnbased blabla" crowd, but even though I find throwing stuff pretty wonky in the engine, using explosives in these games is really fun and satisfying.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

excellent. It's great that you guys are still being allowed to work on the game.

I'd like to see someone trying to stop them. You'd need a high backed chair and a sock full of onions.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just realized something more or less funny.

With my new character I just fixed Helios One once again and while I was checking out the surroundings for stuff I might have overlooked in my past playthroughs, I saw the power generators and the power poles... which alle have been broken. :thumbsup: This was the moment where I realized that there is not a single 100% working powerline in the whole area, because most of the power poles are somehow damaged. Helios One is now generating power for nothing, same with Hoover Dam. :)

I know, I know, this is super nitpickery. :> Just wanted to say it.

This stupid game has turned me into a video-making addict! It's not even about playing the game anymore, it's about the task-obsessiveness/learning of making videos. Argh! >_< I've been working on a semi-ambitious (or at least very time-consuming *cry*) umpa dance video and learned how to use AVIsynth to do split screen in VirtualDub. Which is awesome. (the short test vid isn't awesome, just showing 4 vids on one screen).

It may not be Sony Vegas Studio but it's amazing what virtualdub can do once you figure out how. When the next game comes out that I'll obsess over for months, I'll be ready to make nutty videos from day1. Woot.

J.R. Vosovic's blog: GDC in SF

I'm flying to SF for GDC tonight and will prob get an IG vs. Orks in on Fri night and head over to the Microsoft Party on Thurs. Awesome! Funny how much changes in a year, and just how fast this last year vanished. This time last year I was in full crunch on Fallout: New Vegas, wasn't even considering leaving Obsidian, and only had 1 kid! =)

Last year I left GDC inspired and drafted a bunch of single-player 40K scenarios which I never really finished as FNV Crunch crushed my desire to live and work for OBS.

Working at Acti-Bliz the last 2+ months you can really see the differences in successful publishers vs. not, although I do slightly have that cog in the machine feel. It's probably all in my head :thumbsup:

J.R. Vosovic's blog: GDC in SF

I'm flying to SF for GDC tonight and will prob get an IG vs. Orks in on Fri night and head over to the Microsoft Party on Thurs. Awesome! Funny how much changes in a year, and just how fast this last year vanished. This time last year I was in full crunch on Fallout: New Vegas, wasn't even considering leaving Obsidian, and only had 1 kid! =)

Last year I left GDC inspired and drafted a bunch of single-player 40K scenarios which I never really finished as FNV Crunch crushed my desire to live and work for OBS.

Working at Acti-Bliz the last 2+ months you can really see the differences in successful publishers vs. not, although I do slightly have that cog in the machine feel. It's probably all in my head ;)

The only thing missing from that is BURN, OBSIDIAN, BURN!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The only thing missing from that is BURN, OBSIDIAN, BURN!!

Why would anyone even compare one of the very few succesful publishers&developers to an indie crpg developer... Not very classy if you ask me.

Hate the living, love the dead.

To be fair, he did say "publisher," not "developer." While Bliz's success has given it the luxury of being able to release games when they're done, most industry projects have a target release window, which usually involves some serious developer crunch time to hit. Obsidz may not be the best around at managing it, but they're far from the only shop that frequently ends up cramming for deadlines.