Dragon Age 2

Nepenthe

im not preordering this game unless we start hearing some good news in the next few weeks.

was the leadup for dragon age 1 like this? the only major gripes i remember hearing about that one were the cheesy heavy metal marketing and blood spatter effects

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

was the leadup for dragon age 1 like this? the only major gripes i remember hearing about that one were the cheesy heavy metal marketing and blood spatter effects

Yes. The closer to the release date, the worse it gets. The Mass Effect forums before ME 2 were especially bad. The DA 2 forums are quite civil and well behaved so far.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

As soon as I saw the first real footage of DA:O, I was pleased. It was a GiantBomb quick look, and there was enough gameplay shown to make me happy. If BioWare could release an interesting gameplay video for DA2, it would make me more optimistic. In the mean time I will remain pessimistic. Because the info and screens I have seen so far, doesn't exactly fill me with joy, but I do hope BioWare proves me wrong, oh I really do.

I have like all tveir games so far, I hope this will be the case for DA2 also.

I thought the DA graphics were just fine, and it looked pretty great at times from the top-down perspective. The direction of the visuals was a bit lacking though.

But... They've been harping about "finding a visual style" for DA2 to give it a more unique feel and all that, but I just think it looks even blander than DA1. I really don't "get it" I suppose. It looks extremely boring and drab.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Thanks for the GB/Game length-ratios everyone! Seems like it has less to with each other after all! :-

Looks actually much better than what i previously thought. The hud has distinctive colors (hope that it is editable though) and the combat reminds me of every other RtwP that's out there.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"was the leadup for dragon age 1 like this? the only major gripes i remember hearing about that one were the cheesy heavy metal marketing and blood spatter effects"

It was much worse. people were claiming that DA1 would bomb. L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not sure how they can claim that you can play it as an action rpg. If anything, that video shows that you can't, unless you want an immensely clunky and dissatisfying experience. The new UI hurts my eyes.

This. I was really hoping it would play like Fable with a bit more RPG in it, or what Dungeon Siege 3 seems to be doing, but this just looks like DA1 with more flips and bland art design. What are the controls for the action RPG part anyway? How does that mode work?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That "action" mode looked like complite suicide tactics. Heh, maybe game is that easy that you can just charge in and forget about it. Then again, video cut out just before Mr. Hawke is killed in "tactical" mode :-

To make it worse frieldly fire wasn't even (then again, I don't even know if it can be turned on in DA2 )

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Not sure how they can claim that you can play it as an action rpg. If anything, that video shows that you can't, unless you want an immensely clunky and dissatisfying experience. The new UI hurts my eyes.

This. I was really hoping it would play like Fable with a bit more RPG in it, or what Dungeon Siege 3 seems to be doing, but this just looks like DA1 with more flips and bland art design. What are the controls for the action RPG part anyway? How does that mode work?

Exactly as the other one, but they probably turned off the auto-attack so that you can do something awesome every time you push a button! :-

What are the controls for the action RPG part anyway? How does that mode work?

exactly :ermm: doesn't look like you control where to flip over to, looks like the regular "1. bind-actions-to-1,2,3,4-buttons 2. select target 3. ???? 4. PROFIT" scheme.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Friendly fire is tied to difficulty. I think only nightmare has it.

Exactly as the other one, but they probably turned off the auto-attack so that you can do something awesome every time you push a button! :ermm:

You can't turn off auto-attack on the PC.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

New character reveal: Fenris

Fenris= Zevran v0.1

But more XTREEEEEEME!

So he's a power top? :ermm:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You don't hit the pause button.

I'm not sure if the attack animations are just choppy or they were moving too fast so it seemed like they were. Regardless, combat doesn't look too smooth. I don't like how there seems to be no physical interaction between bodies when they collide. Like when Hawke makes that jumping attack, he seems to land just on top of enemies, but they don't stumble or anything just phase out to the side. If they want to say 'action rpg' they should have the animations and physics to back up the action part.

Running animations looked fine. I liked the mage combat animations. Much improved over the wavy hand gesturing and poses.

No friendly fire except on nightmare? :ermm:

Camera pan out is good enough for me. I was afraid I'd be stuck way up close behind the shoulder, but what I see is good.

I'm sure the HUD is a placeholder. Why would they make it more intrusive than the original right? Right? I don't want to see long health and magic bars across the bottom of the screen. The circle around the portraits was nice and unobtrusive.

I was expecting something more like the DS3 presentation.

Overall it seems lacking for a game coming out in 3 months.