Dragon Age 2

Nepenthe

Which is: Have CRPGs become too NPC-centric?

For you they clearly have, but not for me! The more, the better :)

I guess I'm the Anti-Monte Carlo. Is that good or bad?

I think it makes more sense to say they've become too PC-centric, actually.

Could you expand on that please?

I'd hazard a guess that he's referring to the idea that RPGs nowadays are particularly ego stroking. I know we've had discussions on such before a few years back.

Game world revolves around the player's character and such. As opposed to possibly more mundane fare.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ah, 'Son of Bhaal' syndrome.

Obviously, I don't want to play for a hundred hours and end up as a goat-herd, alternatively it's no biggie for me if I don't end up as the scion of a god either.

I'd settle for middle-ranking, castle owning type person.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'd be content with any of them. Even goat-herding if it's a The Hero's Journey type thing where I start off goat-herding, go fight a war, then spend the next half trying to get home to my goats.

I'd be content with any of them. Even goat-herding if it's a The Hero's Journey type thing where I start off goat-herding, go fight a war, then spend the next half trying to get home to my goats.

Sounds like a romantic story. Do you think that BW will make the goats romanceable?

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That's almost Dungeon Siege in a nutshell.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The first thing to come to your mind is Dungeon Siege? Really? And not the Odyssey?

Right, but the whole "spends half the adventure just trying to get home" bit.

I think the Odyssey is a great example for a variety of reasons. Here's some poor bastard basically dragged away from his hearth and home to fight for some numbnuts across the sea. His idea actually wins the war, but everyone's talking about this other 'hero' who is so childish he gets a whole slew of his comrades killed. When Odysseus comes up with the idea that wins the war, he gets screwed over and ends up taking as much time getting back to his home as he spent fighting the war in the first place. He finally gets home to find his wife besieged by suitors who want to take over the joint. I'd say that would be a great story. In fact, it is.

I mean, I don't really care that Odysseus was a 'king.' Keep in mind that he still plowed his own field and in a straight line no less. Don't mistake Homeric kings for medieval monarchs.

If anything, the fact that he started so high and ended up losing literally his whole crew only to end up fighting to regain control of his fatherland could add a little something to the story.

Just as an aside, here's one take on Odysseus. http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/tennys...lyssestext.html

Can't follow the line too literally, though. The story is too well known and folks would recognize it immediately.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I mean, I don't really care that Odysseus was a 'king.' Keep in mind that he still plowed his own field and in a straight line no less. Don't mistake Homeric kings for medieval monarchs.

Or for Egyptian Pharaohs or Babylonian or Assyrian kings. Crap land seems to have done well for the Greeks.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

haha Did you see MC's post in the middle of that selecion? I think she was making fun of those of us who talk about 'realistic' armor. lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Obviously, I don't want to play for a hundred hours and end up as a goat-herd, alternatively it's no biggie for me if I don't end up as the scion of a god either.

Oohh, what a great lay-up for more Gothic preaching!

In Gothic you play an unknown dude who gets thrown in jail for an unknown reason (you never find out if he is guilty or not either), and your only goal is to break out of jail. That you happen to overthrow an evil demon in the process is a mere side effect of your escape plan. You are never the chosen one, never a "scion of god" (eww!), you're just a petty, nameless criminal. I love that.

I actually prefer these more personal stories. I am SO SICKKKKKK of playing the Chosen One!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes. You did.

I could swear Xardas rambled about the gods and how about clearly since I succeeded that far I had their favor. But that doesn't count I guess?

Are you seriously arguing that you felt like the Chosen One in Gothic? Really?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes. You did.

I could swear Xardas rambled about the gods and how about clearly since I succeeded that far I had their favor. But that doesn't count I guess?

Are you seriously arguing that you felt like the Chosen One in Gothic? Really?

Just arguing that it's not like there's no ego-stroking in Pyranha Bytes' games.