FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

I could click on a female solider and she'd say her main story one-liner, then I'd click on a male soldier and he'd say the exact same thing, word for word, as the female soldier, but with a different voice.

I actually had it that I clicked on a male soldier and he said his main story one-liner, then I clicked on a female soldier and I got the same one-liner...in the exact same voice as the male soldier! :wacko:

That reminds me of Boiling Point, where a character conducted an entire conversation with a different voice actor for each line.

The Witcher had shades of this at times. Geralt would just randomly change voices between lines, but there only seemed to be the two.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I could click on a female solider and she'd say her main story one-liner, then I'd click on a male soldier and he'd say the exact same thing, word for word, as the female soldier, but with a different voice.

I actually had it that I clicked on a male soldier and he said his main story one-liner, then I clicked on a female soldier and I got the same one-liner...in the exact same voice as the male soldier! :wacko:

That reminds me of Boiling Point, where a character conducted an entire conversation with a different voice actor for each line.

The Witcher had shades of this at times. Geralt would just randomly change voices between lines, but there only seemed to be the two.

Interesting. I never noticed that. So there were 2 different VA's who did the US version of Geralt?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Getting back to the BoS topics, has anyone gotten the more open minded paladin in charge and seen any BoS patrols in the wastes afterward? I am not sure if that was just talk on his part once he takes over or it does happen and I just kept missing those patrols my first play though.

I think they never show up because they might engage in fights with any NCR they'd encounter otherwise, and wipe the NCR out (regardless of the Helios One shoehorn, the Brotherhood can't possibly lose a fight against the NCR in the actual game, save maybe several veteran rangers) which might break some quests.

It still would be great to see the BoS lay some smackdown on the NCR arseclowns. But that's a valid point. Having scattered fights of NCR and BoS troops could frag up some quests or at the very least make things overly difficult in some situations. Either case still a let down he mentions sending patrols out but none are ever seen :wacko:

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I used to feel the similar re:voices vs. written dialogue...clickity clickity.

But when I turned subtitles off I found I enjoyed listening to the npc's a lot more because there's no text to automatically draw my eye away from the voice. You can still click through them if you want (and sometimes I do, especially when you already know what they're going to say) but for the long npc 'speeches' at least, it really helped with immersion to listen vs. read quickly and click away.

Edit: 'nother topic...some ppl tested and Ferocious Loyalty appears to give companions a fairly big boost to their DR (not DT), as they were able to take a lot more hits from deathclaws before falling. Like, 12-15 vs. 2-4. This means if you dont mind keeping your health at 49% or lower all the time, you have constant super-buff companions. Awesome! And I thought FL was useless...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Has anyone tried a melee/unarmed build, btw? My second playthrough is reaching lategame, and I'm thinking next one I might go a silent assassin/ninja type character, make use of those ninja perks. High luck, melee or unarmed, tag sneak. Just wondering which is more 'fun', or fun enough to stop me from just resorting to guns.

I don't mind melee in isometric games but monsters are gross and icky and I don't like to be near them.

That and I'm too lazy to run up to them. Most fights I fire of a couple token potshots and let the given human companion do the bulk of it. That said, anyone used throwing spears to any real extent?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

With a jaguar slowly hovering by in the background..

Boiling Point had the advantage of being so unpolished it was constantly hilarious though!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Love and Hate!

.....I still find melee boring.

For this game that's prob the best melee weapon in it. They are pretty deadly for melee. However I could never bring myself to melee like yourself, as with my head shots and perk that gives me bonus to VATS, their brain is exploding before they can get in melee range to me. So I do find melee kind of boring. Melee may be more damaging then guns but tell that to all the exploding heads in front of me haha. I love in when those idiot raiders with melee weapons charge me.. its like freebie XP!

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Getting back to the BoS topics, has anyone gotten the more open minded paladin in charge and seen any BoS patrols in the wastes afterward? I am not sure if that was just talk on his part once he takes over or it does happen and I just kept missing those patrols my first play though.

I think they never show up because they might engage in fights with any NCR they'd encounter otherwise, and wipe the NCR out (regardless of the Helios One shoehorn, the Brotherhood can't possibly lose a fight against the NCR in the actual game, save maybe several veteran rangers) which might break some quests.

It still would be great to see the BoS lay some smackdown on the NCR arseclowns. But that's a valid point. Having scattered fights of NCR and BoS troops could frag up some quests or at the very least make things overly difficult in some situations. Either case still a let down he mentions sending patrols out but none are ever seen :p

I did flip out earlier tonight when I saw what I thought was a BoS power armor set at an NCR camp (It was an NCR heavy trooper). He looked like he could go toe to toe with a BoS soldier and give the guy a good fight.

Along these lines one thing that's been bugging me is that you hear all about how this faction hates that faction etc etc, but you only ever really see the one military action between the NCR and Legion. The Kahns are practically invisible, and almost everyone else is just a tiny part of the wasteland with only the NCR being the shown throughout the wastelands.

Also, I wish there was more interaction with the Legion. As it is you only really interact with them negatively until you get to the strip and then you can work for them, but the way that the NCR talks, it feels like they should have an entire section of the map that is technically their territory, which shows the benefits and drawbacks to the Legions way rather than the NCR way.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I paused my main game because I realized I'd recreated my character from FO3 (what can I say, I :p lasers) and have been toying around with an unarmed character.

There was something rather hilarious about running in and punching a giant ant soldier.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have a feeling melee was designed around VATS, because in realtime it's too chaotic. You just run towards your opponent at full speed (so he doesn't shoot you to pieces before you even reach him) and then you click like a maniac on the attack button, all the while spinning around trying to see where your enemy has gone. Because of the first person perspective you end up so close to everything that you lose bearing and can't even see who you're fighting.

It usually ends abruptly with you still violently clicking away on your mouse and a slo-mo scene showing a shower of mutilated body parts spraying the landscape.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, but from what little I've tried, it seems that with melee you can't target limbs in VATS? Maybe it was just those times / low skill, but that seemed really stupid. I think I'll try unarmed, what with those neato tricks you pick up along the way, and of course I'm seeing Veronica's prowess with the Paladin Toaster. Super-high sneak + unarmed should be fun, and make the wasteland pretty tense even at lategame. Hopefully.

Speaking of which, the infamous bug-ridden Veronica quest has now ground to a standstill, which sucks because I want to get all the companion content over with and then play solo for the ninja playthrough. According to the wiki it's because

I got the rangefinder then Vault 22 data, then came to try and talk to Elder - I should only have got one.

Now they just stare and wont' talk to each other and the various fixes I've seen don't really address that. :p

I wasn't aware Nexus had mods that aren't hentai! This isn't the nexus I have learned to know! My world is crumbling down on me!

Nexus in name only!

Yes, but from what little I've tried, it seems that with melee you can't target limbs in VATS? Maybe it was just those times / low skill, but that seemed really stupid. I think I'll try unarmed, what with those neato tricks you pick up along the way, and of course I'm seeing Veronica's prowess with the Paladin Toaster. Super-high sneak + unarmed should be fun, and make the wasteland pretty tense even at lategame. Hopefully.

You can't target limbs in VATS with Melee or Unarmed (you can still break bones if you hit a limb enough to do it though - I broke a giant ant's head).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Interesting. I never noticed that. So there were 2 different VA's who did the US version of Geralt?
I owned the UK version.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I wasn't aware Nexus had mods that aren't hentai! This isn't the nexus I have learned to know! My world is crumbling down on me!

Nexus in name only!

LMAO!

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente