Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

i want some reviews to pass the time. stupid no reviews till release malarky.

i also want the release date moved to right now, so i can play over this weekend.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

UK/Aus release seems to have changed to 22nd, according to retailers. why does every game ever do this? >_<

edit: I should have known, actually, as all UK releases are Fridays.

Yeh, the release date totally sucks. I hope that my UK shop will send out the game before this date, so that it will at least not need *that* long to arrive here.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm busy sharpening my superlatives. They will come to good use once I've played the game for a few hours, as no normal geek can ever describe a game as anything other than the best game EVAH or the worst piece of tripe EVAH. There is no middle ground.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gamasutra: The Music of The Mojave Wasteland by Scott Lawlor, Obsidian's audio director

As the player starts to see a house on the horizon, the first layer (of three) starts to play. The player hears the tension change. As he nears the house, a second layer comes in, and once he is in the center of town, the whole music track plays.

The same thing happens in reverse as the player leaves the area. This gives a very natural flow to the experience of exploring the wasteland. And to this, we also make sure the music has night and day variations.

Fallout is a game that allows for its players to choose their own role, and their own morality. Some players play the good guy, and others play the bad guy. We decided that the music system should reflect that.

If the player runs through the town of Goodsprings and kills everything in sight, the music will reflect that with a dark, foreboding tone. If the player is helpful to the townsfolk and doesn't cause too much trouble, the there is a much lighter, rural tone to the music.

That sounds really cool to me!

I usually turn the music off and just go with ambient world sounds.

ALthough ambient sound work has improved somewhat over the years, it could still be a lot better. Ambient sound only makes for a more evocative experience vs some cruddy background muzak.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I just used the music radio in Fallout 3, because I couldn't stand the ambient music. Hopefully in New Vegas it will be reverse.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Wait. Why the behemoth hate? Weren't there only 4 in the whole game or something? At least they were a significant enemy (one of very few) in the vanilla game.

I'd like to see some bloatfly hate. Let's put the hate where it belongs.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I liked them a bit, too. It was a holy crap, it's Godzilla moment.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wait. Why the behemoth hate? Weren't there only 4 in the whole game or something? At least they were a significant enemy (one of very few) in the vanilla game.

Big big enemy that is incredibly easy to kill and has pathfinding problems. But I don't really hate it I just think that he doesn't belong on the West Coast.

Big big enemy that is incredibly easy to kill and has pathfinding problems. But I don't really hate it I just think that he doesn't belong on the West Coast.

Oh. I always found them fairly difficult to kill, more so than most other things anyway, so I always think of them fondly for that reason. Generally my most difficult fights.

But, ok on the WC part. I'd rather not see SM at all anymore, truth be told, but I guess they are too much a part of Fallout lore to ever go away at this point.