Fallout: New Vegas

J.E. Sawyer

Apparently there are around 200 "marked" locations, and over 70 sidequests and 90 "free quests" (no idea what that means).

That is fabulous. WIth that many quests, the odds are that quite a few of them are going to be interesting.

Quality over quantity.

Stop it. I'm trying to be celebratory. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Perhaps we're underestimating them now. They say they've barely worked on the engine, about a year and a half focusing on creating the world and quests. I suppose it is possible to make a larger number of quality quests in that time?

I'm really hoping "free quests" means, for example, finding a diary underneath an upside-down tub, inside of which you find clues as to where the previous owner hid his custom Magnum revolver. Like, quests without a giver that you can find if you turn the entire wasteland upside-down. Literally.

I love those types of quests. The most memorable quest from the original Gothic was of that type and I think I found it on my third playthrough!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

X-Play's Fallout: New Vegas Special Monday @ 6:30PM!

Fallout fans, your time has come once again. Fallout: New Vegas is only scant days away from rearing its wasteland-oriented, mutant-ridden head, and,this Monday, October 11th, at 6:30PM, X-Play has a special episode all about it. Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb will bring you exclusives on the game, including some gameplay you won't see anywhere else, and interviews with the team at Obsidian who are hell bent on making sure you stay riveted to your screen for the next several months.

For more Fallout: New Vegas content, including one pure evil mission, and for all kinds of exclusive content about the games that you care about, including Call of Duty, Epic Mickey, and TRON: Evolution, make sure you keep it right here for G4TV.com's big fall preview week, Epictober. Stuff yourself with our epic previews!

F:NV creative lead John Gonzalez (without Avellone and Ziets) will talk about the narrative designs of Obsidian games at GDC Online tomorrow.

PC Gamer UK preview

Guardian preview

Edited by funcroc

I guess it's always a nervous time to release a game. But it seems like things are going the right way. Previews are positive and pre-order numbers appear to be very good. :) And good for Josh that he finally gets to release a game again.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

feel too silly

My single biggest fear. Judging by the some of the content we've seen. But until I can play through the game and see the content in context, I can't judge it.

Yet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I was very pleased to see this comment:

Also, I forgot to mention that 3rd person was actually playable. I used it more than first person.

as I was really worried that the "headbob" would give me vertigo. Unbelieveably, even the slight "weaponbob" that you see in Borderlands starts to bother me after a while of playing.

I guess it's always a nervous time to release a game. But it seems like things are going the right way. Previews are positive and pre-order numbers appear to be very good. :sorcerer: And good for Josh that he finally gets to release a game again.

Yes, but it seems this must be the biggest release Obsidian has ever shipped. At least in terms of expectations. That must be an added pressure.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It is true. Remember the tech demo, where Corporal Armstrong yells "Move aside, citizen! You are in my line of fire!". This was like, wtf?

Aw, I wish the tech demo would have been longer. Or there would have been some more 'accidental' source leaks...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think I've spotted a Vault 34 jumpsuit. Anyway, this was definitely the most interesting Developer Diary so far.

Hmm... I do believe I spy the venerable .223 automatic pistol @ the 2:40 mark.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Hmm... I do believe I spy the venerable .223 automatic pistol @ the 2:40 mark.

Probably a look-alike like the 12.7 pistol but.. yeah. :p

Hehe, they can call it whatever they like, It's close enough for government work.

EditL: Also, just spotted yee old cattle-prod at 0:36

Edited by Mikhailian

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

It's a small thing to most people but as usual the gameplay footage has judder going on, I keep hoping it's just bad video capture or youtube messing up the cadence but I'd bet money at this point that New Vegas is going to have the same 64hz issue as Oblivion and Fallout 3.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't but it'd be nice if they'd have sorted out that problem by now, otherwise I'm hoping that Fallout Stutter Remover doesn't take too long to get ported to New Vegas.

On the actual topic of the dev diary, things do just keep sounding better and better the closer we get to release day :p

Am I the only one who feels totally bored in the moment? I don't know what to do in the last 1+ week of waiting time. Played through some games again in the meantime, but it doesn't really help. If I could, I would sleep until the 22th...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Am I the only one who feels totally bored in the moment? I don't know what to do in the last 1+ week of waiting time. Played through some games again in the meantime, but it doesn't really help. If I could, I would sleep until the 22th...

University lessons and social life help making the wait more bearable! :p

civ 5?

i know thats gonna keep me busy at least until fallout.

like movies?

you could set a goal for yourself to watch 2 movies you've never seen before, every day, until fallout is released. I've done this before to pass time, it works really well for about 1-3 weeks before it starts getting too monotonous, plus you get to see a bunch of movies you've not seen before.

take up painting warhammer minis?

this can take tons of both time and money from you.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.