RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

It's not like they released a broken game recently or anything...

Or took a dump all over their Gamer's Bill of Rights.

It being broken is a bit of an exaggeration though - although that depends if you include a 0-day patch in the picture- they've issued a tonne of patches out for it anyway so it's stable(or ish) now. How did they take a "dump" on their Gamer's Bill of Rights? It says "demand" a finished game, not receive one, so it justifies their being pissed off.

I'll keep rolling for massive layoffs at Ubisoft though :thumbsup:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It is true.

Elemental's revenue was anticipated to provide the revenue both for our main games team's next project as well as a second team. Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen so we've had to start laying people off.

No one is being fired. None of these people did anything wrong. Stardock is a small company and each person here is truly amongst the best and brightest. So you can imagine how much it sucks for all of us to lay off anyone. We haven't had to lay anyone off since our migration from the OS/2 market in 1998. It would be great if we can bring as many of these people back over time if the studio can afford it.

No one involved on the core components of Elemental is affected.

Elemental's rocky launch can be summed up (IMO) as follows: Our QA process was insufficient to handle a brand new platform (Elemental = Kumquat 1.0 versus say Galactic Civilizations II was using Pear which was the same engine, modified, from 1997's Entrepreneur) + my own catastrophic poor judgment in not objectively evaluating the core game play components.

Well if he's right, there's a strong likelihood he let go people who didn't do a "poor job".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well it is sort of tragic how you get cut for a poor job you didn't do, as you argued otherwise. Funny that you think that's how it usually works, you should see the government and banks here. :thumbsup:

Edited by Malcador

Wasn't saying this was without cause (lawsuit for that, I'd guess), but still pretty sad. Well, ok, if you like the studio anyway..

*goes back to the Ubisoft voodoo doll*

Firefall CG trailer

What's it for it's hilarious badness.

Here's the gameplay trailer. The style is very different from the CG trailer... it looks very... Borderlands.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pax-10-firefall/704072

From the website: http://www.firefallthegame.com/

FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types.

So it seems it's a FPS MMO with an emphasis on instances and multiplayer modes, although, from the gameplay trailer it looked like there was a lot of open space to explore too.

Edit: Some more information: http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/Red-5-.../Item19442.aspx

Red 5 has some serious pedigree as they've got the team lead from World of Warcraft and the lead designer of Tribes on staff... Firefall will feature a free-to-play model...

I will definitely be checking this game out when it gets released.

Edited by LostStraw

Eh, if you can call it that. It's quite easy for you to see flaws in something but still say it's ok to release as is though, I've done it and all you need to do is just say "Well, I have high standards!" or "They'll never notice X", etc.

This is like Eduardo and the British press :fdevil:

Edited by Malcador

Something about TOR tells be that it will be Bio's first bomb.

I'm still uncertain I'm going to invest into a MMORPG that requires me to switch operating systems (to Windows) every time I want to play. I guess I'll see. Trailer wasn't bad!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The main competitor will be Secret World. As much as TOR try to sell a focus on story & full voice-over, the Secret World from Funcom will have the same... not to mention it's a much better looking game, in a unique setting.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The main competitor will be Secret World. As much as TOR try to sell a focus on story & full voice-over, the Secret World from Funcom will have the same... not to mention it's a much better looking game, in a unique setting.

And no one really heard about it/cares about it. Make no mistake, Purkake is right. The game will have a spectacular launch, it's whether it will manage to keep an audience or not. That's Bioware's battle. *cue dramatic music*

Nobody really wants a unique setting. The Secret World will probably suffer the same Fate as AoC, having a mediocre start and lousy subsciption numbers afterwards.

Nobody really wants a unique setting. The Secret World will probably suffer the same Fate as AoC, having a mediocre start and lousy subsciption numbers afterwards.

AoC had a spectacular launch, moving over a million units in the first month. They went on a hiring spree to deal with it.

Then they lost a huge amount of subscriptions in the first few months, and weren't prepared to deal with the economics of that.

If Secret World can sell that many out of the gate, hopefully they will be smarter about how they handle that capital.