Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Fallout 3 is possibly the finest example of a western RPG as you are likely to find in recent years. With a massive open-ended world, intriguing characters and a wonderful mix of superb storytelling and sly humour, it pretty much has it all.

They must have played another Fallout 3. Mine didn't have superb storytelling at all.

crap.

this is the first piece of news I have read in the year+ i have been following this game that pisses me off.

weapons degrade FASTER in hardcore mode?

good god why? Weapons degraded WAY too quickly imo in fallout 3, it was ridiculous that you could wander the wastes for days without food or water, but if you used a minigun to kill a super mutant then the gun was half broken by the time the mutant was dead...

i really hope that preview was wrong about that info, or that the degradation is completely different in new vegas, because I really didn't care for how quickly it happened before and I was really looking forward to playing hardcore mode. oh well, im sure i can just fix it in the geck so i guess it doesnt matter actually.

nm about the sadness i guess... there is still a geck right?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I would be quite careful with "info" from previews, it can be really hard at times to tell what stuff is A) actually true B) assumptions made by the previewer and C) just crappy writing by the previewer.

I didn't really have a problem with weapons breaking down quickly though (well ok, some weapons seemed to degrade way faster than others to an annoying rate). What I didn't like was that you had to have spare weapons to repair with (I dunno how New Vegas is changing this, but the repair kits seems to indicate that something is indeed changed). I also felt the degradation wasn't particularly noticeable on the weapon performance.

And yes entrerix, there will be a GECK (with upgrades done by OEI for New Vegas) released afaik.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Fallout 3 is possibly the finest example of a western RPG as you are likely to find in recent years. With a massive open-ended world, intriguing characters and a wonderful mix of superb storytelling and sly humour, it pretty much has it all.

They must have played another Fallout 3. Mine didn't have superb storytelling at all.

Mine didn't come with superb storytelling either. :thumbsup:

Damn those press people, they get all the perks.

ok so most likely the preview was wrong and if not I can fix it with the geck. mini-crisis averted

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'd like to see weapon degradation eliminated entirely. It's tedious busy work, nothing more. Unless it has some real core gameplay aspects, which is highly unlikely.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think it would be cool to have a "shoe-tying" skill to go along with the repair skill. The higher your skill, the longer your shoelaces stay tied, but even with a high skill in shoe-tying, I can fill up my gameplay hours stopping every few minutes to tie my shoes. For absolutely no reason other than to justify the skill.

Stupid, well, duh, but that's exactly what the repair skill is.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'd like to see weapon degradation eliminated entirely. It's tedious busy work, nothing more. Unless it has some real core gameplay aspects, which is highly unlikely.

I thought that multiple ammo types provide that mechanic. Use more powerful ammo, but screw up your gun, use cheaper ammo, but screw up your gun...

DOn't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to weapon degredation in a crpg if it has some important in-game consequence and ramification. But I've never seen one that did. Even a great crpg like System Shock 2 had a cruddy and pointless degredation mechanic.

Most often it seems that repairing weapons and armor is simply put in to justify a repair skill. Because of course it much easier to do that rather than put the repair to actual in game use solving quests and stuff. Which is what a repair skill should be used for.

I'm still hoping NV at least returns to Morrowind/Oblivion style repair tools that will at least eliminate the need to tote around 10 sets of power armor and 12 minguns.

Mine was also lacking in 'intriguing characters' and 'wonderful'.

I wonder if there's somthing wrong with me. I consider myself a lot less cynical than most of my fellow obsidianites, but I'm yet to play an open X world game that I feel would be worth even 10 % the hype... ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

ESRB summarizes Mature rating of F:NV (minor spoilers) [via Examiner]

;)

there is also an extended sequence suggesting (no depiction) sexual activity with a robot (e.g., "Fisto reporting for duty . . . Please assume the position," "I suppose I should test you out . . . Servos active!" and "Something wrong with someone if they got to f**k a machine."

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

ooooh, mark 2 enclave issue power armor? yessss! and is that a turbo plazma rifle?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

ooooh, mark 2 enclave issue power armor? yessss! and is that a turbo plazma rifle?

[Ausir]Actually, that's the Advanced Power Armor, the Mk II is the one that appears in Fallout 3 (yeah, that's how Bethesda decided it looks in 3d).[/Ausir]

Bethblog podcast

Contains some New Vegas music and confirmation about DLC announcements 'soon'.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian is already working on it.

Hopefully NOT Bethesda.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver