Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

WHat's wrong with critical hits being based on chance?

Over time, wearing better armor will always reduce the amount of damage you take, which is the point, but a critical hit can still cause problems, so don't get too comfortable, since you never know when its coming.

Critical hits don't have to be insta-kills. FO1/2 had too many of those. A critical hit just has to do enough damage to up the threat level to the player.

If it happens infrequently enough that it's an uncommon occurrence and not an instant kill, the player can pretty easily heal out of it. MinDam against the player means there is always a cost, even if minor, to walking into gunfire.

"Getting comfortable" isn't really a behavior of the player. The player is either attempting to avoid attacks or isn't. A continuous small penalty for getting hit is pretty likely to feel better to a player than a stray bullet hitting the femoral artery for 120 damage.

Like I wrote before, you can change any of this stuff in GECK if you'd like to, but I think most players will find that MinDam (both against them and against enemies) tends to produce more enjoyable game play than allowing damage to tank to 0.

The more I see, the more I like. In fact, because I am a heathen I am digging this more than the original games (except Tactics, of course).

I have pre-ordered a CE.

And I'm looking forward to DS3, go Obz, GO!

I approve of this post.

A question, where did you manage to order a Collector's edition for NV? I've only seen regular editions in Europe so far.

The more I see, the more I like. In fact, because I am a heathen I am digging this more than the original games (except Tactics, of course).
Shhh, you're supposed to hate BoS, not Tactics!

But don't tell anyone!

I have pre-ordered a CE.

And I'm looking forward to DS3, go Obz, GO!

I approve of this post.

A question, where did you manage to order a Collector's edition for NV? I've only seen regular editions in Europe so far.

Look here.

I'm not saying what country it was, but I'm still waiting for my Fallout 3 Collectors Edition to appear in stock o:)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's not completely updated anyway. I could fine the Collector's Edition (though grossly overpriced) on the Gamestop italian website.

Yea I've been able to find it on cdon.com for 113 euros for ps3 or the 360. Talk about overpricing...

Hate the living, love the dead.

It's not completely updated anyway. I could fine the Collector's Edition (though grossly overpriced) on the Gamestop italian website.

Yea I've been able to find it on cdon.com for 113 euros for ps3 or the 360. Talk about overpricing...

Wow. That's excessive. I was talking about the 80 euros range for the PC. High, overpriced even, but not that much. That's probably a NTSC version imported by the states. Can't really understand the price tag otherwise.

Wow. That's excessive. I was talking about the 80 euros range for the PC. High, overpriced even, but not that much. That's probably a NTSC version imported by the states. Can't really understand the price tag otherwise.

Not really sure if it's even an import. Since I thought I saw when I was googling for it that cdon.com is selling CE for the Danes, so I would imagine they will also be selling it to other nordic nations as well. The store is for Finns, Danes, Norwegians and Swedes.

But still there's no price for the PC version on the finnish version of the site. Just says they are out of stock... and there's only that one price for one of the consoles.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Not really sure if it's even an import. Since I thought I saw when I was googling for it that cdon.com is selling CE for the Danes, so I would imagine they will also be selling it to other nordic nations as well. The store is for Finns, Danes, Norwegians and Swedes.

But still there's no price for the PC version on the finnish version of the site. Just says they are out of stock... and there's only that one price for one of the consoles.

It seems strange to me. I'd try to contact the community manager of Bethesda (Matthew Grandstaff) privately and ask him about that.

Now I'm curious Monte, what makes you more interested in this than the originals?

No, I'm not going to rage, even if I do post on No Mutants Allowed to comment news.

I've never been a massive fan of the original Fallout games. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the setting and acknowledge that it's probably the most original and intriguing video game setting I've experienced. I completely understand the love for it.

But I feel that the old-skool clunky TB gameplay doesn't really do it justice. I know, it's heresy, the Turn-Based Taliban will shoot me down. But as an old-skool gamer myself I've never really liked turn-based combat at a tactical level with firearms. Jagged Alliance 2* is the only game that's captured that for me, the Fallouts (apart from Tactics - which I always played in semi-TB mode) didn't.

The Bethseda FO3 was OK, I enjoyed it. But it missed the dialogue and characterization that I associate with Obsidian games. So here I am, confronted by an Obsidian realisation of a cool PA setting with the FO3 polish vis-a-vis the engine and one of the most credible collector's edition packages I've seen for a while.

So all in all I am looking forwards to FO:NV a great deal.

Am ready for incoming.

Cheers

MC

* Edit - I forgot XCOM. I think the clarification is that squad-based games work for me turn-based, RPGs don't anymore.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Now I'm curious Monte, what makes you more interested in this than the originals?

No, I'm not going to rage, even if I do post on No Mutants Allowed to comment news.

I've never been a massive fan of the original Fallout games. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the setting and acknowledge that it's probably the most original and intriguing video game setting I've experienced. I completely understand the love for it.

But I feel that the old-skool clunky TB gameplay doesn't really do it justice. I know, it's heresy, the Turn-Based Taliban will shoot me down. But as an old-skool gamer myself I've never really liked turn-based combat at a tactical level with firearms. Jagged Alliance 2* is the only game that's captured that for me, the Fallouts (apart from Tactics - which I always played in semi-TB mode) didn't.

The Bethseda FO3 was OK, I enjoyed it. But it missed the dialogue and characterization that I associate with Obsidian games. So here I am, confronted by an Obsidian realisation of a cool PA setting with the FO3 polish vis-a-vis the engine and one of the most credible collector's edition packages I've seen for a while.

So all in all I am looking forwards to FO:NV a great deal.

Am ready for incoming.

Cheers

MC

* Edit - I forgot XCOM. I think the clarification is that squad-based games work for me turn-based, RPGs don't anymore.

Perfectly understandable, though it is my opinion that it is more of a fault in execution than in theory (I would have been curious to see how Van Buren would have felt mechanically speaking).

But yeah, I do agree that combat was a really weak point in the first two games.

Took a look at the game.co.uk website. New Vegas SE is 'Terms & Conditions: UK ONLY.' So the whole discussion is academic.

Actually that's just the preorder bonuses.

Hm, ok.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif