Blizzard Forums to use real ID name

As spokesperson for the international trolling federation, I condemn this heinious attempt at keeping us from our favorite hobby.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ok, this is BS... I'm guessing the official WoW boards are up in arms about it (they've been up in arms about the whole "real id is your name" stuff rather than letting you pick a handle). Particularly given that stalking is a pasttime over there

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

How does Real ID know what your name is?

Certainly if its manual entry then all you have to do is pick something that seems like a real name. If its pulling off your billing information, I'd be a little worried about data privacy.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bad idea (as we all know).

I'd be surprised if their forum moderators would be comfortable with that.

Just look at the Justin Bieber fiasco (never heard of him before yesterday), but just imagine the havoc this will cause.

I like using my real name online, I really do, but those forums are prone to a LOT of scams and account hacking, so this just sounds like an awful idea.

PS: I might even change my forum name here to my real name if I could, but even then I don't think anyone replies to my posts. Ha.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

How does Real ID know what your name is?

Certainly if its manual entry then all you have to do is pick something that seems like a real name. If its pulling off your billing information, I'd be a little worried about data privacy.

When you first sign up for an account it asks you for a name. Most people put in their real ones just in case they needed to talk to blizzard for whatever reason and didn't want to be "Twatty mcTardhatch". Now people have been grumping but were generally ok with the Real id initially because only those whow were within your friend circle could see it (like facebook) but with this change EVERYONE can see it, including the infamous forum trolls and those nutjobs who hunt you down and kill you

for reference on "hunt you down and kill you":http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/01/20/lineage-2-kill-leads-to-real-life-death/

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

While I eprsonally don't care if someone knows my real name on the net (heck, i've given both my phone number and adress out freely, R00fles!); the idea they'll force someone to share their real name on the forums is scumbuggery to the highest level.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I haven't been on any Blizzard forum in years....but wow, this is a bad move. I mean, rationally, for majority of people their real name isn't going to bring stalkers to your front door (assuming it's ONLY your name that's revealed, not email and other stuff) but psychologically many are uncomfortable about it...and not just the spammers/trolls.

I have yet to knowingly put my real name 'out there' for Google to hunt down, and I refuse to do so for Blizzard. :sorcerer:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Now people have been grumping but were generally ok with the Real id initially because only those whow were within your friend circle could see it (like facebook) but with this change EVERYONE can see it, including the infamous forum trolls and those nutjobs who hunt you down and kill you

Note that this change only affects those that post on the forum. Which means you can easily take your posting time to a different forum if it is a deal breaker for you.

Oh, no, Candyland is real. Never question Candyland.

But I can't say where in Candyland I reside. Queen Frostine still has a grudge against me for when I chewed on her taffy throne.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My real name is unique, so any trolling I do without a cover will be right up there for anyone to see for years and years :sorcerer: Ill have to change it to John Smith, Phineas Merriweather, Norbert Nipplebottom or some other really common name so I can hide in the crowd.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ill have to change it to John Smith, Phineas Merriweather, Norbert Nipplebottom or some other really common name so I can hide in the crowd.

I vote for Norbert Nipplebottom!

Lol, looks like people are starting to recoil at the mere suggestion of putting their money where their mouth is.

I think this is a great way of dealing with trolls and general wankers. Obviously, the problem is for those who have actual reasons to want their identity kept secret (public officials, developers for other companies, media personalities), but I'm sure Blizz will find a way around that.

Anonimity = unaccountability. This is bad, in case you didn't know. :lol:

And, as has been posted earlier, if you don't like it... take your posting elsewhere.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's not like anyone is forcing you to post on their boards. Their boards their rules.

Bad idea (as we all know).

I'd be surprised if their forum moderators would be comfortable with that.

Just look at the Justin Bieber fiasco (never heard of him before yesterday), but just imagine the havoc this will cause.

If by "Justin Bieber fiasco" you mean epic trolling and by "havoc" you mean hilarity, then I agree wholeheartedly.

Like I said, haven't been to their forums in ages...so maybe it's different now. But in the past the serious troll problems seemed to have more to do with lack of 'policing' the forums than anything else. A lot of stuff was just allowed to go on and on w/no one stepping in to curtail it.

Has that improved? If not, how are real names going to help with that if the modding of the forums isn't more stringent?

Last I checked the forums were still a gongshow.

At the same time, it's probably easier to get the trolls to just leave of their own volition, then to get 1000 moderators to try to keep up 24/7.

I think the idea is that if people have a small level of anonymity pulled away, they may think twice. This may not be the case.

Though if Mr. Public Official was a gigantic douchebag in the Paladin forums, it certainly would be laugh out loud funny if his antics were exposed haha.

But I suspect this will likely increase in the amount of fake names. Having said that, I heard that that is VERY risky should your account be compromised. I recently had my account compromised and things all went off without a hitch. Imagine calling Blizzard Support saying you're name was Amanda Huggingkiss :lol:

Edited by Thorton_AP

Last I checked the forums were still a gongshow.

At the same time, it's probably easier to get the trolls to just leave of their own volition, then to get 1000 moderators to try to keep up 24/7.

Point taken, but I'm still not convinced that using real names is going to discourage the career trolls that much, if they aren't also convinced that Blizzard will somehow use that to better police/punish trollish behavior.

Do the Blizzard forums have the 'ignore user' feature yet? That feature is one of the better ones for the posters themselves to at least not have to 'see' troll posts, if one is that consistently upset by certain users...and if you don't avail yourself of that ability, that's your choice.

I think the idea is that if people have a small level of anonymity pulled away, they may think twice. This may not be the case.

It may also encourage 'career trolls' to increase their activity in some kind of rebellious defiance. I dunno...I do understand wanting to foster a more friendly community, I'm just not convinced this is the way to do it. As always, time will decide. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson