STEAM!

Calax

I bought UFO: Extraterrestrials but I dare not repeat the spending frenzy that occured during the xmas sales. Looks like you picked up some nice titles though, I own Homecoming and it's my favourite of the series after SH2.

I was a bit unsure about Homecoming, given that reviewers said it lost it's horror elements, but hey you can't go wrong for $7.50.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I bought UFO: Extraterrestrials but I dare not repeat the spending frenzy that occured during the xmas sales. Looks like you picked up some nice titles though, I own Homecoming and it's my favourite of the series after SH2.

From what I've seen and heard of Homecoming, it's horrible and at best not spoken of in the context of the rest of the series.

It did make for some fun let's plays on youtube where people had near mental breakdowns from all the frustrating repetitive gameplay.

Edited by Purkake

Homecoming has a different style to it's story telling but there's certainly horror in there. I think part of the problem is that The Collective were making a sequel to someone else' series, so they had to include enough iconic stuff so that people wouldn't accuse them of cashing in on a brand name. How many times can we see a nurse or a straightjacket and be scared?

From what I've seen and heard of Homecoming, it's horrible and at best not spoken of in the context of the rest of the series.

Eye of the beholder and all that but I'd argue that it was at the very least better than The Room. There was a lack of tech support for people who bought the PC version, so if you were one of the unlucky ones who suffered from the graphical bugs, or not being able to launch the game in the first place then you'd essentially thrown your money away. The game itself was good when it was working though, in my opinion.

Edited by Serrano

• 2 months later...

Eye of the beholder and all that but I'd argue that it was at the very least better than The Room.

In what ways other than combat? For all its faults SH4 at least tried to do something new. Homecoming was just a mindless mix of most popular elements of the series.

I tried to replay KOTOR a few weeks ago. Once you get to Taris and realize that's there's so much walking and long-winded conversations just to reveal simple or unimportant information. And then when you get to combat again it's a bunch of autoattacking...

I just couldn't do it.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I tried to replay KOTOR a few weeks ago. Once you get to Taris and realize that's there's so much walking and long-winded conversations just to reveal simple or unimportant information. And then when you get to combat again it's a bunch of autoattacking...

I just couldn't do it.

Cue Nightshape saying the RPG fans are incredibly forgiving of bad gameplay mechanics. I think I belong to that group. As long as I don't have to waste my time openworld roaming, I'm happy. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You implying that I'm not an RPG fan, good sir?

Handbags at dawn? :bat:

But, no.

Cue Nightshape saying the RPG fans are incredibly forgiving of bad gameplay mechanics.
IIRC that was Josh, no?

Could be. I wondered, as it sounded a bit too advanced for Nightshape, tbh. :p

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I was thiiiis close to buying KOTOR since a lot of people seem to love it but then I noticed this:

and realized my Win7 x64 would never run it and I just cant handle having to fiddle with the software to get it to run. Honestly, if it doesnt work right out of the box for me then it becomes a coaster/object of my eternal rage.

It's lucasarts week on STeam, so I don't know exactly what the next one is going to be, but it should be up soon.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I was thiiiis close to buying KOTOR since a lot of people seem to love it but then I noticed this:

and realized my Win7 x64 would never run it and I just cant handle having to fiddle with the software to get it to run. Honestly, if it doesnt work right out of the box for me then it becomes a coaster/object of my eternal rage.

I run it on Win7 myself. D:

i played through kotor 2 about a year ago and thought it held up pretty well. I havent played kotor 1 since release so i dont know about that one

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

x32 or x64? How hard was it to get it running?

I've got Windows 7 x64 Professional and KotOR works fine out of the box (at least I don't remember doing any tweaking). :thumbsup:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

i think id rather get sins of a solar empire plus that star wars total conversion mod thing over Empire at War.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I will not have this... thing on my computer.

I use impulse myself. I seem much lighter client, don't need it running in the background to play digital games and easier to get approved from my experience.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

x32 or x64? How hard was it to get it running? The KOTOR II forum below is like a years-long problem fest so I assumed the original KOTOR would be even more of a pain to get up and running.

I don't understand why people still use x32 ver of win7. Time to move into 2010 :lol:

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Because some people would rather not waste money just to 'keep up' with whatever tech calendar Wired and such have set... yeah, we're poor :thumbsup:

Actually, I've lived on a 'computer lag time' most of my gaming life and I have to say it's not that bad. It sort of helps you become a gamer that doesn't wait like a drooling dog for the latest hyper-graphics release, you take your time and get to appreciate all kinds of good games...

Anyway. After that debacle with ETW this piece of bloatware hasn't been allowed near my system, but still going back and forth over F:NV. I've decided to give Civ V a miss, though, not good enough to make me put up with Steam.