5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer

Can sex even be mature? People moan like idiots and make stupid faces.

And there's all the jelly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My point is a broader one, which just occurred to me. When we talk of maturity in the West what we most often mean is 'what women think is mature'. Women have their own views, and are perfectly entitled to them. But by the same token, what makes male views intrinsically invalid? And hence the male view so often expressed in games, invalid?
I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that male views and attitudes are invalid. "Invalid" for what, anyway? Males are males, and we do our thing. It'd be like, I don't know, being anti-farting, maybe? Most people won't fart in a crowded elevator, but everyone does it at one point or another. Likewise, it's generally inappropriate to comment on your new boss's absolutely delectable legs when you are first introduced, but that won't stop you from noticing.

I mean, :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

My point is a broader one, which just occurred to me. When we talk of maturity in the West what we most often mean is 'what women think is mature'. Women have their own views, and are perfectly entitled to them. But by the same token, what makes male views intrinsically invalid? And hence the male view so often expressed in games, invalid?

For years the majority of gamers have been male, when you think target demographic you are thinking of that gross stereotype. It's not about validity, it's the consensus of what the majority wants: male leads or hot female leads. That makes it the unofficial default setting.

The Mature rating is not a accurate description of the content but rather of the level of maturity required to understand the content properly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Can anyone think of a game that handled sex with maturity?

Fahrenheit.

I'm not sure... when the plot took a nose dive we did have an instance of "woman taking man who's body is room temperature (about -37 degrees) and he's also dead" going on.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Can anyone think of a man who handles sex with maturity?

What does it mean to handle sex with maturity?

Collectable sex cards, of course! ...honestly, I have no idea. I guess I'm looking for a portrayal of sex that doesn't pander to it's audience or can't be considered some form of fan-service. Fahrenheit might be a good example.

lol :lol:

What does it mean to handle sex? Sounds a bit like you put it in a box and are shipping it by FedEx somewhere. *ba-dum-tish*

Seriously though, I think the problem with sex is that people put too much importance on it. Its this thing that people don't talk about in polite conversation (even with their sex partner!) but at some level most people want it and think about it and (as teenagers) obsess over it. And so it becomes this event that societally is seen as important and serious and yet is really neither.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

lol :lol:

What does it mean to handle sex? Sounds a bit like you put it in a box and are shipping it by FedEx somewhere. *ba-dum-tish*

Seriously though, I think the problem with sex is that people put too much importance on it. Its this thing that people don't talk about in polite conversation (even with their sex partner!) but at some level most people want it and think about it and (as teenagers) obsess over it. And so it becomes this event that societally is seen as important and serious and yet is really neither.

Well, I think americans put to much importance on it. And more particularly on the nudity aspect of it. I can't speak totally accurately but doesn't Europe not get nearly as uptight about it?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

We only get really upset when a boobie is shown at halftime at the Superbowl.

Then it's a national outrage, of course.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I agree with Amentep's point, that being written. Unless sex is an important part of the story there isn't much of a purpose in sex being part of a videogame.

I don't think sex will be interpreted normally in a videogames because most videogames are not targeted towards a mature audience;That and portraying sex properly isn't much of a selling point.

It's not Christmas anymore but I've fallen in love with these two songs:

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=HXjk3P5LjxY

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=NJJ18aB2Ggk

I agree with Amentep's point, that being written. Unless sex is an important part of the story there isn't much of a purpose in sex being part of a videogame.

I don't think sex will be interpreted normally in a videogames because most videogames are not targeted towards a mature audience;That and portraying sex properly isn't much of a selling point.

You've totally missed my point. o:) Tell me what you think a 'mature' interpretation of sex is. because I will argue it is whatever mature people think it is. And frankly I am arguing that there is nothing immature about male attitudes to sex; there is simply a disjunction between those attitudes and what women want us to think. And that there is nothing intrinsically virtuouis about altering our games to reflect a lie.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You've totally missed my point. o:) Tell me what you think a 'mature' interpretation of sex is. because I will argue it is whatever mature people think it is. And frankly I am arguing that there is nothing immature about male attitudes to sex; there is simply a disjunction between those attitudes and what women want us to think. And that there is nothing intrinsically virtuouis about altering our games to reflect a lie.

Quite simply, not being filled with outrage, shame, disgust, nor giggling, forcing the subject, or being too outspoken. Both extremes of the spectrum; the conservatives and the slutty are immature attitudes. It exist, it's natural, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I am arguing that there is nothing immature about male attitudes to sex; there is simply a disjunction between those attitudes and what women want us to think.

Explain the male attitude to sex you are referring to, and what it is (you think) what women want us to think.

I am arguing that there is nothing immature about male attitudes to sex; there is simply a disjunction between those attitudes and what women want us to think.

Explain the male attitude to sex you are referring to, and what it is (you think) what women want us to think.

Fair question. I'm not really sure, not being all men. But I would say it was multi-faceted. On the one hand it's very practical, very shallow. On the other we're fascinated to the point of incoherence by the simple biology of the opposite sex. Then there is the whole issue we have negotiating the occasion with women. Our various encultured hang-ups about women with the conflict between whore and madonna (as in virgin mary).

Orogun mentioned maturity as an absence of extreme, but I couldn't disagree more. Sex for men is extreme. It is tied to our most volatile hormone - testosterone. It is bound up inextricably with power. It can make you feel powerful, it can make you feel powerless, to a large degree it even depends on power. Sex itself can become such a driving passion that it totally enslaves the individual!

I think all the associations with sex in gaming tie into this.

Contrast this with the supposedly 'mature' view of sex and all you find is that we are supposed to treat sex as nothing more than energetic cuddling. An extension of the relationship 'contract'. I accuse this view of being half-formed and terrified of the truth. Like saying the only kind of mature cuisine is baking.

-Elwood Blues

If I may post a piece of doggerel, which I think is more descriptive:

I know my desire. It is dry like the thorn tree and hot like the sun. ...You are the armour of the cobra as she waits beside the path. You are the long slow swell of the sea. My lips are adrift on you.

-Elwood Blues

Contrast this with the supposedly 'mature' view of sex and all you find is that we are supposed to treat sex as nothing more than energetic cuddling. An extension of the relationship 'contract'. I accuse this view of being half-formed and terrified of the truth. Like saying the only kind of mature cuisine is baking.

Kinky anal is pretty mature.

"erotic is what you like, kinky is what everyone else likes.."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Man I'm glad I'm an engineer and sex is a foreign concept.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra