Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Inception. Holy ****.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Also, why

was there gravity in the snow base and in limbo?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

The Fountain

Quite beautiful movie.

With a damn good soundtrack. If you like orchestral scores that pluck at the soul.

Welcome to the Clint Mansell fan club.

Also, why

was there gravity in the snow base and in limbo?

Because of the same reason that there is gravity in the rest of the world.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think his question is in regarding ...

how they never lost gravity during the period where the van was falling, like in layer 2 w/all the matrix-fu. edit:I know there's the time-lag stuff to explain most of it but it still felt a bit inconsistent

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

how they never lost gravity during the period where the van was falling, like in layer 2 w/all the matrix-fu. edit:I know there's the time-lag stuff to explain most of it but it still felt a bit inconsistent

It was a difference in time.

It was like a fold in the time-space the whole duration of the van falling was the same time that they had to create another kick on a deeper level. At the end they rode the kick all the way back to the real world.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Has anyone watched HBO's True Blood? While buying some other DVD's, I impulsively bought season 1 'cause I recalled reading some decent reviews of it. Got home, read more about it, wondering if I made a mistake/should return it (haven't opened it yet). o:)

I like vampire stories if they're done ok but can't quite figure out what type of show True Blood is really supposed to be. ie, is this going to be a "tween" soap-opera style show - 90210, nekkid, gory vampire edition! - or something more interesting than that?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Has anyone watched HBO's True Blood? While buying some other DVD's, I impulsively bought season 1 'cause I recalled reading some decent reviews of it. Got home, read more about it, wondering if I made a mistake/should return it (haven't opened it yet). o:)

I like vampire stories if they're done ok but can't quite figure out what type of show True Blood is really supposed to be. ie, is this going to be a "tween" soap-opera style show - 90210, nekkid, gory vampire edition! - or something more interesting than that?

I really enjoyed both Season 1 and 2. It isn't 90210 drama. It is a bit of Buffy/Angel, a bit of Twin Peaks, and has some great characters. Jason Stackhouse is an awesome character, too.

Has anyone watched HBO's True Blood? While buying some other DVD's, I impulsively bought season 1 'cause I recalled reading some decent reviews of it. Got home, read more about it, wondering if I made a mistake/should return it (haven't opened it yet). :lol:

It has a bunch of cool characters and the vampires are vampires instead of emo boys for teens. I find it quite sexy and gory, well written, and with an ok plot. Some plotlines are better than others but that's what happens in these sorts of shows.

Jason Stackhouse, Eric Northman, and Lafayette are all really great characters.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Has anyone watched HBO's True Blood? While buying some other DVD's, I impulsively bought season 1 'cause I recalled reading some decent reviews of it. Got home, read more about it, wondering if I made a mistake/should return it (haven't opened it yet). :)

It has a bunch of cool characters and the vampires are vampires instead of emo boys for teens. I find it quite sexy and gory, well written, and with an ok plot. Some plotlines are better than others but that's what happens in these sorts of shows.

Jason Stackhouse, Eric Northman, and Lafayette are all really great characters.

I had a problem getting into it.. but then I was coming at it as someone who has read the books... So while I can intellectually recognise why some of the changes were made and why they suit a tv version better.. it just doesn't click right for me. That and the central plots kind of dragged out, and the cheap sex seemed to get thrown in every episode as a way to show off some nudity... but it had a damn good theme tune... :lol:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thanks for the input, ppl. It does sound interesting but I decided to take it back because $55 (local Best Buy's retail price :p ) for 12 episodes is too much - didn't realize it had so few episodes in the season at first, either. I'll get it thru Netflix rental or something instead. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson

Indeed, it was...

It was a difference in time.

It was like a fold in the time-space the whole duration of the van falling was the same time that they had to create another kick on a deeper level. At the end they rode the kick all the way back to the real world.

Folds in space time

don't work like that, but that's whole 'nother can of worms. It just seems like an oversight to me.

They had no gravity in layer 2 because they were free-falling in layer 1, in which they were dreaming. Since there was no gravity in 2, it seems to me that there shouldn't be gravity in 3, or, for the same reason, 4, although I guess 4 should work differently, because it wasn't a dream per se.

Folds in space time

don't work like that, but that's whole 'nother can of worms. It just seems like an oversight to me.

They had no gravity in layer 2 because they were free-falling in layer 1, in which they were dreaming. Since there was no gravity in 2, it seems to me that there shouldn't be gravity in 3, or, for the same reason, 4, although I guess 4 should work differently, because it wasn't a dream per se.

My impression was that it was supposed to like

there was a ripple-effect between layers. Truck starts to fall in layer 1 - immediate effect. In layer 2, it took 10-20 minutes (at layer 2 time-rate) before the 1st second of truck-fall from layer1 'hits' or reaches layer 2 & no gravity. In layer 3, it took almost an hour before that 1st second of truck fall would 'ripple' down to layer 3, so the concept was they got out of layer3 before the ripple of that 1st second of truck-falling reached layer 3. But as I said in other thread that leaves the issue of the fact that length of time anti-gravity lasted implies not only a ripple effect but a slow down in rate of time passing (in layer 2) which doesn't make sense relative to other things and ... uh...yeah. heh :p

Thanks for the input, ppl. It does sound interesting but I decided to take it back because $55 (local Best Buy's retail price :p ) for 12 episodes is too much - didn't realize it had so few episodes in the season at first, either. I'll get it thru Netflix rental or something instead. :)

I think I picked it up on sale at Target for cheaper than that.

Folds in space time

My impression was that it was supposed to like

there was a ripple-effect between layers. Truck starts to fall in layer 1 - immediate effect. In layer 2, it took 10-20 minutes (at layer 2 time-rate) before the 1st second of truck-fall from layer1 'hits' or reaches layer 2 & no gravity. In layer 3, it took almost an hour before that 1st second of truck fall would 'ripple' down to layer 3, so the concept was they got out of layer3 before the ripple of that 1st second of truck-falling reached layer 3. But as I said in other thread that leaves the issue of the fact that length of time anti-gravity lasted implies not only a ripple effect but a slow down in rate of time passing (in layer 2) which doesn't make sense relative to other things and ... uh...yeah. heh :p

It could be that there was gravity because it was a dream crafted to specification; and they did say that time passes slowly on deeper levels compared to the real world. Possibly because its a dream there is a difference between time spend dreaming, recalling that dream and the time that actually passed on the real world. What it still doesn't explain is why deeper levels have slower time

village_idiot.gif

Watched PRINCE OF DARKNESS. Hadn't watched in awhile, and I'd forgotten a lot of the beginning (prior to them getting into the church). I thought the idea of good and evil through the lens of theoretical physics was interesting. Dennis Dun's character has some really weird actions/reactions and the film and the female lead is sadly underdeveloped (but the same could be said for most of the characters, who don't really know one another prior to the film and the running time hasn't the ability to develop them).

Later I watched THE SWARM, 1970s Killer Bee movie, infamous for being one of the top critical and box-office failures of its time. Its interesting because the first 2/3rds of the film aren't awful (mind you, they're not good either, but entertaining in a 70s disaster flick way) but there are some leaps in logic that leave the viewer scratching their head. Unfortunately this is a signpost of things to come, as the last 1/3rd of the film takes all leave of its senses and presents quite possibly one of the goofiest and far fetched conflagration of events ever put to celluloid. At 2 hrs and 30 min its about 40 minutes too long (possibly more; the original theatrical version was just under two hours but isn't available anymore).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Later I watched THE SWARM, 1970s Killer Bee movie, infamous for being one of the top critical and box-office failures of its time. Its interesting because the first 2/3rds of the film aren't awful (mind you, they're not good either, but entertaining in a 70s disaster flick way) but there are some leaps in logic that leave the viewer scratching their head. Unfortunately this is a signpost of things to come, as the last 1/3rd of the film takes all leave of its senses and presents quite possibly one of the goofiest and far fetched conflagration of events ever put to celluloid. At 2 hrs and 30 min its about 40 minutes too long (possibly more; the original theatrical version was just under two hours but isn't available anymore).

"Michael Caine stated in an interview that during filming he thought the little yellow spots left by the bees on his clothing was honey so he began to eat it, unaware he was eating bee poop."

"Michael Caine stated in an interview that during filming he thought the little yellow spots left by the bees on his clothing was honey so he began to eat it, unaware he was eating bee poop."

Yeah bees regugitate nectar for honey.

Caine also said its one of the three worst films he's been in (and Caine's been in some awful films).

Its also the last film made by Fred MacMurray - he retired from acting after it.

Irwin Allen was so disappointed in the film, he refused to talk about it after it bombed.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There was a time in the mid 80s where Caine was literally in everything. Alimony for 100 kids with 100 different wives or something to that effect.

Oh Alfie, he really should have used a condom.

village_idiot.gif

Saw the trailed for 'Sucker Punch'. Looks at least superficially interesting.

Besides that, watched Godzilla. Corny, over the top and hilarious bad ruining of suspension of disbelief in many places, but Jean Reno is always fun watching.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah just saw it too.. It seems the screen writer couldm't decide on a setting and just choose -

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah just saw it too.. It seems the screen writer couldm't decide on a setting and just choose -

"Set in the 1950s, it tells the story of Baby Doll (Browning)...(s)he ends up in [a] mental institution in Brattleboro, Vermont and while there she starts to imagine an alternate reality. She plans to escape from that imaginary world but to do that she needs to steal five objects before she is captured by an unknown adversary. She has 5 days to escape before being lobotomized. In order to cope with the situation, she enters the hyper-real world of her imagination, and the lines between reality and dream begin to blur. She is joined with friends who are inmates from the institution. Lessons learned in the said fantasy world could help the girls escape their real-world fate.".

Saw "Unthinkable" today, pretty graphic. There are no good guys by the end of this movie, the cinematography is commendable, is one of those "quasi-Satrian" existential films but with a more current theme. :)

village_idiot.gif