Quotes you remember...

Raithe

"All my bullets have someone's name on them. To save time, I simply label each one 'Spaz'."

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"There are only four types of officer. First, there are the lazy, stupid ones. Leave them alone, they do no harm

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic" -Josef Stalin

"Nobody can map the imagination" -Pratchett

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" -Patton

Reminds me of a bit from The Tenth Planet:

Polly: Don't you care?!

Cyberman: Care? No, why should I care?

Polly: Because they're people and they're going to die!

Cyberman: I do not understand you, there are people dying all over your world yet you do not care about them.

Kudos for the obscure!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"How much can you possibly know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?" - Tyler Durden, Fight Club.

"A liberal is a person so open-minded his brain fell out" - anon, although I use it quite a lot.

"A Conservative is a Liberal who's been mugged - a Liberal is a Conservative who's been arrested" - also anon, and pretty much on the money.

"Stand by the river long enough and you will see the bodies of your enemies floating by" - anon, Chinese (of course).

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink - when they wake up in the morning that's the best they're gonna feel all day" - attributable to Peter Lawton or one of the other Rat-Packers.

"Remember, your personal weapon was manufactured by the lowest bidder" - Murphy's Law of combat.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity" - O' Hanlon's Razor

"The enemy advances, we retreat; the enemy camps, we harass; the enemy tires, we attack; the enemy retreats, we pursue

sonsofgygax.JPG

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God.... I could be eating a slow learner." --Lynda Montgomery

"Untrained courage is useless in the face of educated bullets, because I don't like eating fish, and I realize, Oh my God.... I could be eating a slow learner."

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic" -Josef Stalin

"Nobody can map the imagination" -Pratchett

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" -Patton

Reminds me of a bit from The Tenth Planet:

Polly: Don't you care?!

Cyberman: Care? No, why should I care?

Polly: Because they're people and they're going to die!

Cyberman: I do not understand you, there are people dying all over your world yet you do not care about them.

Kudos for the obscure!

Quotes from Doctor Who are obscure?

Clearly I'm on the wrong message board... :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Justice: Why have you not brought retribution upon your opressors?

Anders: That just seems... difficult

Justice: Apathy is a weakness

Anders: So is death! I'm just saying!

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"A Conservative is a Liberal who's been mugged - a Liberal is a Conservative who's been arrested" - also anon, and pretty much on the money.

---

I absolutely love this. A shame you can't recall where you heard it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

---

I absolutely love this. A shame you can't recall where you heard it.

Well I've found variations on the "A Conservative is a Liberal who's been raped" in assorted books (fictional and non) that have been published throughout the 20th century going back to early pulp novels.... So it's probably one of those "universal lines" that's emerged somewhere...

I saw this great quote on fourchon last night. It's my new inspiration in the gym.

"I never admitted it to anyone but every time I go to the gym all I think about when I feel like I can't go any longer is "Batman could. Batman WOULD." and then I keep going."

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Find something you love and stick with it.

He was an inspiration to a young Joe that needed it. It wasn't the sole reason, but it definitely did help me kick my drug habit. He's a former professional BMX rider and now works for Eastern Bikes near Raleigh, NC.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

I misread that as 'Find someone to love with a stick'

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."

"Relationships are hard. It's like a full time job, and we should treat it like one. If your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to leave you, they should give you two weeks' notice. There should be severance pay, and the day before they leave you, they should have to find you a temp." --Bob Ettinger

"Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student! At least they can find Afghanistan ." --A. Whitney Brown

"Should I be upset that everyone thinks we're murderers, or just happy that they're all trying to help us get away with it?"

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives, You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now living in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Kemal Ataturk, on the war memorial at Gallipoli, and further evidence were it needed that he was an extraordinary statesman. The Turkish don't venerate him for nothing.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives, You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You the mothers who sent their sons from far away countries wipe away your tears. Your sons are now living in our bosom and are in peace. Having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Kemal Ataturk, on the war memorial at Gallipoli, and further evidence were it needed that he was an extraordinary statesman. The Turkish don't venerate him for nothing.

That is certainly an extraordinary and admirable sentiment. I went with a group of British officers to Monte Cassino a few years ago and we made a deliberate trip to lay a wreath at the German cemetery, after our own.

-Elwood Blues

"Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mold-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final." - Dr Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt

I had to copy this out by hand, rather than copy paste, so have a read:

The 71st Infantry Division was attacking on all sides the grain stores which were being defended by the Russian soldiers. After three days the defenders sent a radio message to their commanders...

'We have no food'

The answer was 'Fight, then you will forget your hunger.'

Three days later they transmitted again: 'We no longer have anything to drink, what are we to do?' And back came the reply:

'Now is the time to live on your wits and your ammunition'

The defenders waited for two days and then came the last message.

'We no longer have any ammunition'.

Hardly five minutes had passed and they had their reply:

'The Soviet Union thanks you, you have served your purpose.'

Quoted in 'Hero or Coward' by Elmar Dinter.

-Elwood Blues

"Playing a game you've worked on, is like asking a woman to wear the dress she was raped in." - Max Cant.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!