Quotes you remember...

Raithe

Realising how often I pull out obscure quotes that for various reasons I find amusing or thought provoking in one form or another...

I thought I'd see what quotes other forumites might have found sticking in their minds, or just saved for later dates..

Such as:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

'Happiness? Happiness...is to wake up, on a bright spring morning, after an exhausting first night spent with a beautiful... passionate... multi-murderess.' Iain M. Banks; Use of Weapons

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I love neat sounding quotes. They are an awesome resource for when one has nothing original to say, and they can make you look real smart when delivered well and coupled with a good use of the eyebrows.

A few off the top of my head:

"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be" - Lao Tzu

"Stop quoting the laws, we have swords" - Pompey

"I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Most often two of these qualities come together. The officers who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Those who are stupid and lazy make up around 90% of every army in the world, and they can be used for routine work. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!" - Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training... what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." -Oscar Wilde

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde

"It's better to be quotable than to be honest." - Tom Stoppard

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've had this quoted to me correctly verbatim by a number of squaddies you'd think never read anything but the **** page:

"Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,"

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well Kipling does seem to last in the Military.. and there are a lot of damn quotable moments from military history..

There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat.

We don't wear singlets because A...one...they're gay.

Baby mammals drink milk, and you sir, are a baby mammal.

When a guy (Alex) asked what to do about his balls hurting after squats...

Alex, buddy, you're on your own here. Unless we get some other input. My balls haven't hurt since 1973, when I learned how to finish what I started.

-all from a truly great man, Mark Rippetoe

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

"In wine there is wisdom,in beer there is freedom,in water there is bacteria" -Ben Franklin

"If, with the literate, I am

Impelled to try an epigram,

I never seek to take the credit;

We all assume that Oscar said it." - Dorothy Parker.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic" -Josef Stalin

"Nobody can map the imagination" -Pratchett

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" -Patton

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What is really fun is to mix and match quotes.

"The death of one is a tragedy, so don't eat the yellow snow."

"We all assume that the Dude abides."

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

:) I have a feeling we may have just identified your personal motto.

-Elwood Blues

"If there was a way to get magic for free, do you really think I'd have spent so much time sacrificing children to my dark gods? For spells, I mean. Obviously there'd still be sacrifices. A hobby's a hobby." - Blackguard

"The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic" -Josef Stalin

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" -Patton

Reminds me of a bit from The Tenth Planet:

Polly: Don't you care?!

Cyberman: Care? No, why should I care?

Polly: Because they're people and they're going to die!

Cyberman: I do not understand you, there are people dying all over your world yet you do not care about them.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." - Terry Pratchett

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams (this in particular seems to have settled itself into my mind as somewhat of a motto)

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened." - Also Douglas Adams

"Events are cowards: they don't occur singly, but instead they run in packs and leap out at you all at once." - Neil Gaiman

Most of my quotes would just bait LoF, so I'll leave them off...

Anyway:

"You shall not pass!"- Gandalf

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."- Einstein

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."- Einstein, again.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

"We live awhile, and then we die sooner then we expect."

"Where's the treasure? Damn it, I'm an adventurer! I demand fiscal rewards for acts of premeditated homicide!"

Reminds me of a bit from The Tenth Planet:

Polly: Don't you care?!

Cyberman: Care? No, why should I care?

Polly: Because they're people and they're going to die!

Cyberman: I do not understand you, there are people dying all over your world yet you do not care about them.

<3 The Tenth Planet

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.