Mass Effect 2

Pidesco

Have you seen the videos?

No. Bioware's standards of writing have never really changed perceptibly, though, so I'd surprised if ME2's dialogue is noticeably worse.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There is no Jennifer Hale. There's only Deionarra.

*They really need to fire Gaider, he's burned out.

I don't really get that, his work on the Dragon Age mythos has been very solid. I even read his book and was surprised at how decent it was for a video game novel.

I don't really get that, his work on the Dragon Age mythos has been very solid. I even read his book and was surprised at how decent it was for a video game novel.

Yeah, and as far as I know, he had nothing do with either Mass Effect. Which I assume was implied, this being the Mass Effect 2 thread.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Gaider didn't work on either of the ME games.

Graphics: ME > DA

Dialog that doesn't make you want cringe: DA > ME

And the sex scene conversations don't count because they all had bad moment. "Oh Captain, my Captain" is just as bad as "Tis cold in my tent!"

The voice acting in ME is generally superior, but they need to boot Mike Meer and replace him with someone like Micheal Ironside (that's the guy who plays Sam Fisher, right?)

Locations: DA > ME

Side Quests: DA > ME

Main Quest: ME > DA

Hate to say it, but Saren was more interesting than Loghain, and the Unicron far more interesting/scary than the Archdemon.

I hope Alpha Protocal has good characters and isn't half as shallow as it looks.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

He's repeating himself and running out of ideas. i keep having deja vu when playing post BGII games, probably because of the same sentence structures. Which is only natural after the amount of work he has to pull off each time. *sigh* It would be good to get some fresh blood in, its not as if Gaider and Avellone are the only writers out there who can write a story.

Yeah, and as far as I know, he had nothing do with either Mass Effect. Which I assume was implied, this being the Mass Effect 2 thread.

I meant it in general. I didn't know whether he worked on ME or not. i assumed that he had a part in it at least,Now that I know he didnt I suggest that the writing team behind ME be drawn and quartered.

@Maria:

If the main quest of ME beats the main quest of DA it must be a sorry quest indeed.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I hope Alpha Protocal has good characters and isn't half as shallow as it looks.

After spending way too much time playing games, you get to the point where you can see everything you need to know (95%of the time) after looking at a handful of screenshots.

Thus, I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm expecting nothing, so technically I can't be disappointed.

I'm still waiting for the Homeworld of role playing games (or just Homeworld 3 if Relic is kind enough to get to it), and it looks to be a loooong wait.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

The writing in DAO was far superior to ME for the most part. Unfortunately the same tired old plot that was beaten to death in NWN2 was trotted out again. The rest of DAO design unfortunately hews too closely to Bio's new paradigm of fight, fight, fight, talk a little, then fight some more. Overall DAO was a bit better than ME, but that's only a small step above mediocrity.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Dialog that doesn't make you want cringe: DA > ME
OTOH every NPC in DA could as well be called Hammingway. Both games were full Mr and Mrs Expositions, but the ones in DA felt like they think they're supposed to live up to some Shakespearian legacy or something.

If the main quest of ME beats the main quest of DA it must be a sorry quest indeed.
I can't really say if one was better than the other, but I enjoyed the ME main quest a lot more. Devil is in the details I guess. Edited by Oner

I don't know squat about Dragons Age main quest, except that it was supposed to be a spiritual successor to the BG series and thus set my expectations sky high as far as the main quest is concerned.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

"*They really need to fire Gaider, he's burned out. "

Thankfully, your opinion is the minority and has no influence. Afterall, if BIO listened to the likes of you, they probably would have been out of business 15 years ago.

"The writing in DAO was far superior to ME for the most part."

No, it wasn't.

"The rest of DAO design unfortunately hews too closely to Bio's new paradigm of fight, fight, fight, talk a little, then fight some more."

New? It's always been thatw ay but at least the dialogue and C&C has improved a great deal compared to the overrated BG series crap.

"After spending way too much time playing games, you get to the point where you can see everything you need to know (95%of the time) after looking at a handful of screenshots."

I simply don't believe. When someone claims they saw 'soemthing a mile away'; I just smile, pat them on the ehad, and go what a genius you (think) are.

Then aagin, your list of games showsm how silly, you are. You actually like MW and TW. LMOA

p.s. BG is, by far, BIO's worst RPG. It was their first and it shows.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't know squat about Dragons Age main quest, except that it was supposed to be a spiritual successor to the BG series and thus set my expectations sky high as far as the main quest is concerned.
Are you one of those people who believe Darth Nihilus was badly presented? If so, expect nothing of the two big bads of DA and you won't suffer. Edited by Oner

I was wondering where my whining imp got to. *waves to Volo*

Now that you mention it I'd say he wasn't presented at all. You just kinda got to him and killed him not really knowing why except that he had the bad guy look. That and I wanted the mask. If DA bad guys are like that then *yawn*.

Sarevok says: n00bz.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Depends who you think the main bad guy in DA is. HINT: It's not *really* the darkspawn.

Nhilus is an alright villain; but he's not that impressive. He sure beats KOTOR2's main villainess whose entire motivation reeked of retardedness.

Then again, I find Sarevok pretty cool as a main villain and he too isn't exactly of the deep variety either.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

sarevok and irenicus were AWESOME villains, waaaaaaaay better than any villains in dragon age. dragon age was still a great game, but lacking in the villain department for sure

even that dude from mass effect was better

oh yeah and if they bring back unicron for ME2 they should only use clips of orson welles' voice

original transformers movie FTFW!!!

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

On that note, I saw a Saren tribute video on youtube and the viewers were discussing how Saren is the best and most complex villain ever. Best looking maybe, but best? And yeah, he was complex (though IMHO the overall presentation of his principles could've been a bit better), but really. Best villain?

What about Ravel/Kreia? Dr. Breen/G-man (complexity arguable)? Shodan? All those other people?

The average age of a Youtube viewer is probably 15 years.

The best villan could be Irenicus, or the Nameless ones practical incarnation, SHODAN, the guy from Bioshock or tons of others depending on what aspect of a villain intimidates you most.

logosig2.jpg

As far as viliians go I was always partial to Queen Deidranna from Jagged Alliance 2.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"The rest of DAO design unfortunately hews too closely to Bio's new paradigm of fight, fight, fight, talk a little, then fight some more."

New? It's always been thatw ay but at least the dialogue and C&C has improved a great deal compared to the overrated BG series crap.

No it wasn't. Neither KOTOR nor JE had an unending stream of fighting. It was always interspersed with other types of content.

If DA bad guys are like that then *yawn*.
I would say DA bad guys are nowhere near as charismatic as Nihilus.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I lost all respect or fear for Saren after that cutscene fairly early in the game where he goes into an emo-rage fit. That was almost embarrassing to watch. :o How could I take him seriously after that?

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

sarevok and irenicus were AWESOME villains, waaaaaaaay better than any villains in dragon age. dragon age was still a great game, but lacking in the villain department for sure

Irenicus, sure. By far the best Bioware villain (read: only interesting and memorable Bioware villain) I've seen.

But Sarevok was lame. Both hilariously cliched and stupid-by-plot-necessity. ("I think I can become god if a lot of people die." (silly, but arguably within 'fantasy' believability) "A lot of people will die if Baldurs Gate and Amn go to war." (Logical) "I need to sabotage some iron mines." (wat?)) I'll take the cliched and characterless DA Archdemon over the cliched and ridiculous Sarevok.

I count Saren and Loghain roughly equally-- cliched, but at least there's a little bit of nuance to their presentation and a little bit of logic supporting their overall schemes.

Edited by Enoch

I don't know.. the main bad guy from Jade Empire has to win a lot of points.. I mean, without any plot spoilers or anything, he was a major manipulative bastard in the classic sense of a mastermind.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I lost all respect or fear for Saren after that cutscene fairly early in the game where he goes into an emo-rage fit. That was almost embarrassing to watch. :o How could I take him seriously after that?
He was overreacting, yes, but at least the thing was nicely animated. :o

Thinking about it, how did Sovereign know that there was a beacon on Eden Prime and that it holds exactly what they're looking for (of which I'm not sure it's supposed to know about)?