Fallout

TwinkieGorilla

We probably won't be seeing much FO:NV info anytime soon. Brink is scheduled for Q1 2010 and Bethesda still forbids Splash Damage from releasing video footage.

I'd suggest Beth's obsession with tightly controlling the flow of information is ripe for Freudian interpretations.

Anyone remember what happened to HL2 a year before its release? Jus sayin.

You mean the unintentional leak?

The guy who did that was a :truepatriot:. That's what we need right about now.

edit: I have a version of the leak burnt onto a DVD. They were never going to make the original 2003 deadline, it's such a hunk of ****.

I'd suggest Beth's obsession with tightly controlling the flow of information is ripe for Freudian interpretations.

That's becuase if people new too much about their games before release, they wouldn't buy them. :lol:

I kid

Ya know.... in all probability, that's actually pretty accurate.

Edited by Syraxis

In a way though, the pimping that devs and publishers do kinda bites them on the butt. No games can ever be as good as they are hyped to be.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Demos? Haven't heard that word being associated with games in many a year.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

No games can ever be as good as they are hyped to be.

Saying that no game can ever be as good as the hype claims is really no different to saying that no game can ever be as good as reviews claim.

Whether or not a game is overhyped depends on how one feels about that game, and possibly how cynical one is regarding marketing and user feedback.

In a way though, the pimping that devs and publishers do kinda bites them on the butt.

Do you have an example of this?

?

Not all games get demos, but that's always been the case, but they're not really that rare, either.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Oner just nailed it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

This is where I ask slowtrain what constitutes being bitten in the butt, because people seemed to have interpreted it as it makes angry internet men even angrier. Peter Molyneux is without doubt the best and most extreme example, but other than getting himself a bad rep, how is he a problem? Those Fable games sell pretty well. And while certain folks may vomit all over themselves at anything Bethesda says, hype certainly hasn't done any harm to sales of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Shame though, was nice to get a bit of a sense on how it'd play (and it served as a good hook for some games too) as opposed to relying on "professional" game reviewers or the users of IGN, Gamespot, etc. Stupid industry.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What? Fallout New Vegas is going to be the first Post Apocalyptic Musical Role Playing Game?!?!?!

*Killian begins to sing*

The mutants are alive...

with the sound of music!

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Fallout The Musical! :ermm:

Featuring Elvis and The Andrews Sisters (or whoever made music in the 50'es)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

By the way, I have a thought/idea/recommendation. Possibly already mentioned by someone, or you were doing it all along, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm playing NWN 2, and reading the LP - with a relatively big lag. Somewhere it says that the ...hmm..what's it called.. umm, well, story feats (Blessing of Vaukeen and co.) were originally an idea to mark progress and give slight bonuses based on accomplishments. This unsurprisingly reminded me of Fallout's karmic perks. Those in turn reminded me of achievements. I've read complaints about DA's immersion breaking achievement pop-ups and the stupidity of FO 3 pop-ups, so my suggestion would be this:

Instead of a big ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED, mark the achievements as karmic perks (complete with Vault Boy pic and funny description)! Blends in, makes sense, compact, full of WIN etc.