Mass Effect!

Arkan

I understand what you are saying now. Hey, everyone, did you know that FO1 and FO2 are 3rd person shooters? Holy crap!?! I played those games multiple times and I didn't know they were shooters!!!

Seriously, this is just more evidence that you cna't be taken seriously at all.

FO is a 3rd person shooter. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Do you seriously not understand that there is a difference between third person and isometric perspectives, or are you just trolling me?

someone (lord of flies) is somehow making less sense than volourn. well day, you cant get any wierder :lol:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

He might just be mocking you like everyone else. :lol:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I had been playing ME for a while. and I really like it. It looks great, and has excellent cinematic feel to it (what Bioware is good at these days), but I put it on hold for a while until I receive my new system that I can really ramp up the graphics and have a blast.

I'll probably go for an adept or the adept/soldier combot...maybe an infiltrator.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Isn't this similar to asking: "What's the difference between playing as a Mage with a Cleric in the party and playing a Cleric with a Mage in the party?"
Quite possibly, but that's not a defense. If every RPG jumped off a bridge, would Mass Effect?

No, it's more just you not having a clue.

Who would have thought that having two characters with their classes reversed wouldn't result in any significant differences in the execution of those classes.

Mine might not be a defense, but that's more because yours wasn't a valid criticism.

Isn't this similar to asking: "What's the difference between playing as a Mage with a Cleric in the party and playing a Cleric with a Mage in the party?"
Quite possibly, but that's not a defense. If every RPG jumped off a bridge, would Mass Effect?

Who would have thought that having two characters with their classes reversed wouldn't result in any significant differences in the execution of those classes.

Mine might not be a defense, but that's more because yours wasn't a valid criticism.

On the run through I stopped I didn't level up my group, but couldn't you level up the characters differently so that they have different strengths and weaknesses as well? I was playing a warrior who only used his shotgun, so the design was built around close quarter combat.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Honestly though, there is a difference. It's not noticeable in KotOR (for example) because you can switch between every character; if you couldn't, this wouldn't be true. Imagine in KotOR, that you could only control Captain Butts (as I called him); the gameplay for each class would obviously be quite different. In ME, despite the fact that you can only play one character, it plays the same period.

Hmm... no.

mass effect had fairly limited options for making diff char types, but a careful sniper played pretty differently from a shotgunning berserker

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Meh, when I played as a Biotic I used biotic skills that had the enemies do all sorts of weird things.

When I played as a soldier, I focused on using guns.

Of course, in KOTOR, when I was consular, I'd still use my lightsaber. Just like when I was a guardian, I'd still use my force powers.

I guess really there's no difference at all :o

mass effect had fairly limited options for making diff char types, but a careful sniper played pretty differently from a shotgunning berserker

Ding.

Edited by alanschu

"Do you seriously not understand that there is a difference between third person and isometric perspectives, or are you just trolling me?"

Ooooooooooo... so, your TRUE claim is that FO is an 'isometric shooter'.

Hey, EVERYONE, did you know that FO is an isometric shooter?

The more you knbow....

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, but careful sniper is pretty much irrelevant in 90% of the game's situations, since you're only a few meters away in almost all situations and a high-level pistol is just as useful at those ranges.

Meh, when I played as a Biotic I used biotic skills that had the enemies do all sorts of weird things.

When I played as a soldier, I focused on using guns.

Oh so you ignored the companions and used the terrible non-pistol guns. Well, I guess if you did that you would notice a difference in gameplay. On the other hand, if you were smart you would do something else.

Ooooooooooo... so, your TRUE claim is that FO is an 'isometric shooter'.

Hey, EVERYONE, did you know that FO is an isometric shooter?

The more you knbow....

Oh, so you are trolling me, but in case it isn't clear how so to anyone here: FO had turn based combat.

but in case it isn't clear how so to anyone here: FO had turn based combat.

orly?

"Oh, so you are trolling me, but in case it isn't clear how so to anyone here: FO had turn based combat. "

Why does that matter?

It's isometric. It has guns that you 'shoot'. By, your way of defining things, that makes FO an isometric shooter. Or 3rd person shooter. Take your pick.

"used the terrible non-pistol guns."

Except the non pistols were awesome.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why does that matter?

It's isometric. It has guns that you 'shoot'. By, your way of defining things, that makes FO an isometric shooter. Or 3rd person shooter. Take your pick.

I literally cannot imagine a turned based video game that could be called a "shooter;" even if you had guns, it'd be an RPG, strategy game or a point and click adventure game. Shooters are in real time, I figured that was so self-evident that it didn't need to be mentioned.

Except the non pistols were awesome.
Wrong again, and the only way you even fiddled with the non-pistols was by playing Soldier, where you got to choose between the incredibly inaccurate AR or the pistol. For everything else, by the time you unlocked non-Pistol skills your Pistol skill was high enough to make them seem excruciatingly terrible to use.

seems like your big problem was that pistols were the best weapon...

seems like your big problem was that pistols were the best weapon...
They were, and they were also available to all classes rendering a good chunk of the Soldier's skills useless. Since by the end of the game you've already filled up almost all your skill bars, this renders the class useless. Since all classes had the same weapons, and all classes had access to the same skills via their companions, they all played the same. QED.

You could turn off auto aim in ME.

I played as a soldier and used all the guns except pistol. The AR and shotgun were pretty different, although you could get by with just the AR. The sniper rifle was pretty cool to use on the rare occassion it was actually useful.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Sniper Rifle Adept can be fun, but Shotgun Adept is pretty much the easiest way to beat the game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I quite like Mass Effect.

I think they've created a pretty solid and fun sci-fi universe and I hope that after Dragon Age, it'll be the next one to get a Pen and Paper RPG treatment (hopefully by somebody really competent in present-day & futuristic RPGs, like Crafty Games).

The first game is not perfect (it has technical, gamplay and story issues), but I still quite enjoy it as it is. Looking back, it reminds me a lot of Baldur's Gate I and how I feel about that game: a good game on its own merits, but the prequel to one of the best games ever made. So yeah, you could say I have high expectations of ME2.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif