Mass Effect!

Arkan

Even if you bought it for 10 bucks and used STEAM I've found there are TONS of people having trouble with it all around. Look at the official forums and the steam forums and their all having issues, especially with windows 7 64 it appears.

I'm having problems with Vista 64...maybe it's a 64 bit problem?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Never played Diablo 2. But, since it's because Diablo 1 BUT more, Diablo 2 is what i refer to as a fake Action RPG.

ummmmm.... didnt diablo 1 create the action rpg genre? how could it be fake?

Don't even bother arguing with Vologic. It's probably safer to just put him on your ignore list, but I like to be entertained from time to time!

But categorizing games is fun!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bah defining art is difficult and it can take away from the beauty of it! I perosnally don't like to be labeled either, then people can over generalize about my stances and assume too much, while forgetting the rest about me. Its like looking at my hand when its the whole of me that is me. Why look at one part of a game and define it by that one part? I suppose it has its practical needs so one can find that game, and find like games, but I don't see it as important on my part. Alas another opinion from a opinonated person! :thumbsup:

"Don't even bother arguing with Vologic. It's probably safer to just put him on your ignore list, but I like to be entertained from time to time!"

YAY! A troll post!

"Bah defining art is difficult"

Games aren't art.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Games aren't art.

Not all games no, but it's pretty harsh to simply brush them all of on that premise.. some games are art, even some that don't aspire to it. But of course your average FPS, RPG etc is not. Just like your average movie is not, but saying that movies can't be art because the majority isn't, is also quite wrong.

Fortune favors the bald.

Meh. Art is art. I don't remember ever being taught movies, or games in Art Class.

I wasn't taught music or poetry in art class either.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Discussion of what constitutes art notwithstanding, I managed to get Mass Effect to finally install on my machine. Ironically enough, I had to do it through means that would be frowned upon in this community. Hey, I purchased a game that didn't work...my back was against the wall.

I'D DO IT AGAIN!

Go figure.

Now, whenever I change the texture size to anything other than low, the change doesn't stick! I'm stuck with low texture sizes but max everything else? INCONCEIVABLE!

You might be able to change a settings file with wordpad. Not sure where it'd be located though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You might be able to change a settings file with wordpad. Not sure where it'd be located though.

I edited the gameengine.cfg to force a maximum of 16 Antistropic Filtering and changed the value of Trilinear to "TRUE". I also changed the antialiasing override in the Nvidia control panel from 16XQ to 16X and now the game looks gorgeous.

... What's wrong with Garrus' face?

Bioware fangirls/boys don't seem to think so. :)