Mass Effect!

Arkan

Combat footage. Looks like a vast improvement.

vast improvement?? I looks almost exactly like the original, only with slightly better graphics and it seems the enemies responds a little to being hit now, that really the only difference I see..

You can't really tell much about the AI from that video (Husks = Zombies), however it does look like Husks have gotten a speed boost. In the first game they never got near you, now they seem to do so on a regular basis.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

vast improvement?? I looks almost exactly like the original, only with slightly better graphics and it seems the enemies responds a little to being hit now, that really the only difference I see..

Let's use our eyes and watch the video.

The first thing you notice, beyond the graphical improvements, is the animation has really become a lot better. Mass Effect 1 had the same problem a lot of RTC RPGs had, which is that it felt like you were playing a game of chess from the viewpoint of a pawn - characters practically slid instead of moved. Strafing and backpedaling looked ridiculous, the slow-motion run of the husks was comical, and everybody stood up straight all the time. The animations here are more fluid and dynamic.

The second thing you notice is the reactions of the characters, which you noted. Combat looks much faster-paced.

The third thing you notice is that weapons, at least the ones the PC is using, are off of the tiring battery system and actually have ammunition counts now. Gunplay in general just looks more satisfying.

The first thing you notice, beyond the graphical improvements, is the animation has really become a lot better. Mass Effect 1 had the same problem a lot of RTC RPGs had, which is that it felt like you were playing a game of chess from the viewpoint of a pawn - characters practically slid instead of moved. Strafing and backpedaling looked ridiculous, the slow-motion run of the husks was comical, and everybody stood up straight all the time. The animations here are more fluid and dynamic.

The second thing you notice is the reactions of the characters, which you noted. Combat looks much faster-paced.

The third thing you notice is that weapons, at least the ones the PC is using, are off of the tiring battery system and actually have ammunition counts now. Gunplay in general just looks more satisfying.

Asides from the reactions, which we both noticed, the only things you've listed are cosmetic changes.. I don't think that's vast, mostly because I thought you were talking about improvements to the gameplay mechanics.

Fortune favors the bald.

Asides from the reactions, which we both noticed, the only things you've listed are cosmetic changes.. I don't think that's vast, mostly because I thought you were talking about improvements to the gameplay mechanics.

It's a video - it's kind of hard to see anything but cosmic changes, especially when it's edited like this one. Which is why I'm reserving my judgment on changes in the gameplay one way or the other. But hey, everybody else is free to jump into as many 'conclusions' as they want. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'd say it's as good (or bad) as it gets with 3rd person combat. Other games aren't really better on that front, either.

Have you played Uncharted 2?

Personally, I'd like to see a western-style RPG that uses JRPG turn-based combat a'la Lost Odyssey.

Oh god no!

I'd rather have all combat played out by having kart races.

I'd say it's as good (or bad) as it gets with 3rd person combat. Other games aren't really better on that front, either.

Personally, I'd like to see a western-style RPG that uses JRPG turn-based combat a'la Lost Odyssey.

Oh god no!

Morgoth, have you played Anachronox?

Alternatively Purkake, I agree 100%, traditional JRPG combat is teh verhomitz!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Oh god no!

No I haven't, but I once played Uncharted 1 and it's combat wasn't very memorable or special or anything.

If anyone wants a JRPG-style combat done well, check out Penny Arcade Adventures or Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden(free!).

Traditional JRPG combat can go back to the hell it came from.

Looks like you've never experienced true pain and suffering. Try Final Fantasy: Endless Nova, Three the hard way or Abaddon: Fallen Angel (no linky to this one). FF and TtHW have really fking good stories, but the leveling.. and Abaddon is just plain HORRIBLE.

I was hoping the portable Mass Effect game is going to be like that. Skills and biotics in Mass Effect 1 could translate pretty well into turn based system.

I dont have iPod, but from what I have read the Galaxy game is average at best, which is shame since the art style seems pretty good and the story is said to be decent as well.

I had been playing ME for a while. and I really like it. It looks great, and has excellent cinematic feel to it (what Bioware is good at these days), but I put it on hold for a while until I receive my new system that I can really ramp up the graphics and have a blast.

I'll probably go for an adept or the adept/soldier combot...maybe an infiltrator.

I like ME a lot as well! I have a lot of fun with it. I usually play a female soldier, but when I played a male I went the Sentinal route and took Ashley instead of Kaidan. Wow, did I have a blast with that. Sentinal rocks!

i enjoyed mass effect a lot more than jade empire.

i probably had fun for about 20 hours or so, not exactly game of the year material, but fun nonetheless

i'd probably buy the sequel for 30$

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

So that's why Shepard gets a rocket launcher in ME 2. Because there are volcanic enemies that shoot rockets from their hands themselves.

It's all a question of equilibrium.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ugh, those cutscenes look terrible, and there are way too many spoilers in that video.

The collectors just look like reskins of normal geths, so no different AI to write. :/

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"