Oblivion is ****.

Humodour

I'm really bored so I got around to playing this game. And I'm trying to like it; I really am.

But the game is a steaming pile of rubbish. It's even worse than Morrowind.

The graphics are adequate... if you stand completely still. The voice-overs are mismatched for the NPCs and often poor quality. The quests are mundane, predictable, linear and simply unmotivating. The Leveling system is identical to Morrowind's (which is already a bad thing) yet somehow seems even worse inside Oblivion. The open spaces barren and lifeless and the engine doesn't even render grass for half the screen because it's too far in the distance, producing atrocious looking long shots. Did I mention the dialogue system? Yeah, it's basically unchanged from Morrowind's, except now its stupidity is conspicuously obvious inside reply list instead of embedded inside monologues from NPCs.

And the combat... ah, the combat. I didn't think Bethesda could **** it up any worse than they did in Morrowind, but they certainly surprised me there. Not only did they make it **** but they made it unmotivating. It becomes something you want to avoid because it's so tedious and annoying.

So how exactly did those morons at IGN and Gamespy and such end up giving this POS ratings in the high 80's and 90's? I will never trust game reviewers again.

Heh, yeah. Oblivion is garbage. But hey, at least you didn't waste a few hours downloading and installing FCOM.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well, it seems you hated Morrowind too. Can't help you there, that's something you've got to work out on your own to figure out why you're wrong about things sometimes.

But as for Oblivion, there are a ton of mods to make the pill easier to swallow, but by the end of it you're left wondering why you went to all the effort of swallowing it. I do recommend the Dark Brotherhood quests, at the very least do them. Mage's Guild and Thieve's Guild are passable.

But for the love of God stay away from the Fighters Guild Quests and *especially* stay away from the Main Quest. Oblivion's Main Quest makes Fallout 3's look like Nabokov.

...it's like Bethesda went on bribing spree with the reviewers.

They did. Advertisements were being handed out like candy on Halloween and all a publication, or website, had to do to get some of the cash was give the game a good review. :grin:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The quests are mundane, predictable, linear and simply unmotivating.

Keep looking, then... there are a lot of quests that are quite different from what you describe.

But yes, I'm done with Oblivion myself. I only fire it up if I want to mess around with Morroblivion a bit.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well, it seems you hated Morrowind too.

Maybe because it was bad? o:)

...there are a lot of quests that are anything like you describe.

Lulz. Wot? There are not "a lot of quests" that are not "mundane, predictable, linear and simply unmotivating." Sure, I can think of a few but most of the game was utter druggery.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Lulz. Wot? There are not "a lot of quests" that are not "mundane, predictable, linear and simply unmotivating." Sure, I can think of a few but most of the game was utter druggery.

Imo, the Daedric quests, the entire Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild questline and some of the unique city quests were hardly mundane, predictable, etc.

the thing is with any game, you will either like it, or you will not.

since you dont like it, or the elderscrolls ruleset, which has been in place since ARena, might I suggest you go and sell it at your local Hastings and get some of your money back.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Yup, it was only the mods that made Oblivion playable. There were a few cool things, like getting sucked into a painting, but imaginative stuff was few and far between.

Why I was absolutely shocked that Fallout 3 was such a fun game. Figured it would only be saved by mods.

Vanilla Oblivion feels like it hasn't progressed any farther than Alpha development stage, I'm actually surprised a build watermark isn't present on screen.

But mods truly are its saving grace.

Shivering Isles >> Oblivion. Once I entered the 'mysterious door', I never returned to Cyrodiil.

Heh, Haskill & Sheogorath are the only memorable NPCs in the whole Elder Scrolls IV, which is pretty sad. o:)

I thought Shivering Isles overrelied on repetitive dungeons even more than the OC. I enjoyed exploring the open world in Oblivion and a lot of the quests were pretty fun. I don't get what people hate so much about the main story, it's no worse than most RPG's. Also Knights of the Nine is a bit better quality than most other Oblivion content.

Edit:

Here are the sidequests from Oblivion I posted a while back, I marked the ones I can remember being good with *, these don't include the main story or the guild quests (from here http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/927345/46026).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anvil Quests [s01]

- Newheim's Flagon......................................................(AN01)

- The Ghost Ship of Anvil...............................................(AN02) *

- The Siren's Deception.................................................(AN03) *

- When the Vow Breaks...................................................(AN04)

- Where Spirits Have Lease..............................................(AN05) *

Bravil Quests [s02]

- Caught in the Hunt....................................................(BR01)

- The Forlorn Watchman..................................................(BR02) *

- Through a Nightmare, Darkly...........................................(BR03) *

- Buying a House in Bravil..............................................(BR04)

Bruma Quests [s03]

- A Brotherhood Betrayed................................................(BU01)

- Two Sides of the Coin.................................................(BU02) *

- Lifting the Veil......................................................(BU03)

- Buying a House in Bruma...............................................(BU04)

Cheydinhal Quests [s04]

- A Brush with Death....................................................(CH01) *

- Corruption and Conscience.............................................(CH02)

- Darkness Eternal......................................................(CH03)

- The Renegade Shadowscale..............................................(CH04)

- The Wayward Knight....................................................(CH05)

- Buying a House in Cheydinhal..........................................(CH06)

Chorrol Quests [s05]

- A Shadow Over Hackdirt................................................(CR01) *

- Canvas in the Castle..................................................(CR02) *

- Fingers of the Mountain, Part II......................................(CR03)

- Separated at Birth....................................................(CR04) *

- Legacy Lost...........................................................(CR05) *

- Sins of the Father....................................................(CR06)

- The Killing Field.....................................................(CR07) *

- Buying a House in Chorrol.............................................(CR08)

Imperial City Quests [s06]

- An Unexpected Voyage..................................................(IM01)*

- Imperial Corruption...................................................(IM02)

- Unfriendly Competition................................................(IM03) *

- Order of the Virtuous Blood...........................................(IM04) *

- The Collector.........................................................(IM05) *

- Nothing You Can Possess...............................................(IM06) *

- Secrets of the Ayleids................................................(IM07) *

- The Arena.............................................................(IM08)

- Origin of the Grey Prince.............................................(IM09) *

- Buying a House in the Imperial City...................................(IM10)

Leyawiin Quests [s07]

- Mazoga the Orc........................................................(LE01) *

- Knights of the White Stallion.........................................(LE02) *

- Tears of the Savior...................................................(LE03)

- Whom the Gods Annoy...................................................(LE04)

- Buying a House in Leyawiin............................................(LE05)

Skingrad Quests [s08]

- Buying a House in Skingrad............................................(SK01)

- Helping Hands.........................................................(SK02)

- The Rosethorn Cache...................................................(SK03)

- Paranoia..............................................................(SK04)

- Seeking Your Roots....................................................(SK05)

Settlement Quests [s09]

- A Venerable Vintage...................................................(VQ01)

- Bear Season...........................................................(VQ02)

- Goblin Trouble........................................................(VQ03)

- Go Fish...............................................................(VQ04)

- No Stone Unturned.....................................................(VQ05)

- The Gravefinder's Repose..............................................(VQ06)

- The Potato Snatcher...................................................(VQ07)

- The Sunken One........................................................(VQ08)

- Raid on Greyland......................................................(VQ09)

- Revenge Served Cold...................................................(VQ10)

- Zero Visibility.......................................................(VQ11)

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Bethesda pretty much sucked before FO3. Honestly, at least they're getting better. See the DLCs.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bethesda pretty much sucked before FO3. Honestly, at least they're getting better. See the DLCs.

Honesty the first 3 DLC (Pitt, Broken Steel Anchorage) were.... not that bad, at least they *tried* to somewhat keep the...uh... fallout feel. Then it went all down hill from there.

Redneck Mutants

Mothership Zeta

:picard facepalm:

Seriously Bethesda.

Thing is, I really like sandbox games but hate Oblivion too. A lot.

Why? I mean, the gameworld is pretty. The graphics are nice. I can join things and make stuff and jump a lot to enhance my stats.

Because it's dull. Dull and humourless and machine-like. I feel like I'm taking part in some radical early 80's Czech animation film that is in fact a simile for the grinding pointlessness of living in a totalitarian regime.

Any videogame that makes you feel like this cannot be good.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I only played Morrowing for an hour before I gave up on it, but with Oblivion I kept on playing because there was this lure that "maybe it'll get really cool an interesting around the corner" but it never did, so I stopped. Still, it wasnt a bad game by any means. But Fallout 3 was a huuuuuuuge improvement from Bethesda.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

i played through oblivion once and the only way i could handle going back for more was after installing some mods

you know the main things that irked me?

1. the voice acting - i'd rather no VA at all for minor npc's rather than heading into a store and talking to Generic Breton Voice 2 for the 50th ****ing time

2. the mages guild quests

it's the fricken MAGES guild, yet once you get past the (dull) recommendation quests, all the quests read the same - go to this dungeon, kill people, retrieve item - ad nauseum

i'd expect crap like that with the fighters guild, not the mages guild - at least the morrowind mages guild had you doing some actual mage-relevant quests!

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!