Oblivion is ****.

Humodour

So you are not an explorer...you want story. Again, the games are not for you...best continue to be an Obsidian fan.

So they suck for you? That's fine...they weren't made for you.

Sorry for being rude, but learn to read.

learn to think.

The comment I responded to indicated that the poster wanted quests and things to do. Explorers explore for the sake of exploring. If you like finding things just to find them, then this is the sort of games Beth makes. There was less in Oblivion to find than in FO3, but there were plenty of little villages, shrines, shacks and the like in Oblivion, several of which didn't show up on the map.

That's interesting. Did you not leave town or cut cross country? There are all kinds of places to explore deep in the wilds. Oblivion and FO3 are exploration games. If you aren't interested in exploring, they aren't for you.

How do you mean? What places? Are those places bustling with unique encounters? Are there a multitude of diverse actions a player can perform in those places?

So you are not an explorer...you want story. Again, the games are not for you...best continue to be an Obsidian fan.

So they suck for you? That's fine...they weren't made for you.

Don't confuse story with depth. In Oblivion there's a canvas to explore, but there's nothing in it, other than generic enemies to kill and generic loot to pick up. As I've said before, open world gameplay isn't just having different directions to move, it also requires different things to find, and different places see depending on the path you take. And I'm not talking about quests. "Emergent gameplay" would be the expression, I guess. The game world should be reactive rather than passive: implementing an economy would an obvious step forward, a social class system would be nice, different professions would be an excellent addition. Of course, this would mean more emphasis on content most players would never get to see, something Bethesda seem moving away from.

Also, regardless of the viability of implementing my suggestions, I guess what bothers me the most about Oblivion is how little has been improved from Daggerfall, a 12 year old game with the same fundamental design, done by the same company.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Morrowind and Oblivion are great for exploration in the sense that there's a ton of stuff to find. Same goes with FO3. The only problem is that, in oblivion in particular, the lore and backstory matters so little in terms of what you can do, they all devolve into extremely monotonous loot/monster pickup (even worse if its level-scaled badly and randomised), and are formulaic (every city / guild).

I put a lot of hours into MW, OB and FO3. MW's advantage is that the world makes the most sense and is the most interesting, but it's also the most monotonous. OB has the most fun combat IMO, simply because VATS is horrible and you didn't DO anything in MW combat, and it's also the most fun to just run around in, but you get sick of it the quickest because of the level scaling and the lowest writing quality out of all 3. FO3 really did a lot better in making each location and thing you find both explained (if not always logically) and providing a variety of ways to interact. If only the world wasn't so clearly nonsensical...

They're all flawed games that provide a lot of exploratory fun though.

Don't confuse story with depth. In Oblivion there's a canvas to explore, but there's nothing in it, other than generic enemies to kill and generic loot to pick up.

I agree with you... but technically... In Oblivion there's a canvas to explore, and there is something in it :(

(it was one of the few memorable occurrences in the game)

Edited by Gizmo

The comment I responded to indicated that the poster wanted quests and things to do. Explorers explore for the sake of exploring. If you like finding things just to find them, then this is the sort of games Beth makes. There was less in Oblivion to find than in FO3, but there were plenty of little villages, shrines, shacks and the like in Oblivion, several of which didn't show up on the map.

Exploring isn't really a game.

It's cool stumbling upon a little village... until you realize that everything to do there is an awful fetch quest

It's cool stumbling upon a little village... until you realize that everything to do there is an awful fetch quest

And that is why you kill all the inhabitants. :o

Mod it so the town guards have to fight off a small wave of monsters every other day. :)

Mod it so the town guards have to fight off a small wave of monsters every other day. :sorcerer:

There's a great zombie mod beta I've helped with that does just that - I'll upload it or post a link if you want. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Mod it so the town guards have to fight off a small wave of monsters every other day. :sorcerer:

There's a great zombie mod beta I've helped with that does just that - I'll upload it or post a link if you want. :)

A mod that gives this game life!? Yes please! :)

Edited by Syraxis

A mod that gives this game life!? Yes please! :)

19086-1-1219764571.jpg

19086-1-1218324811.jpg

19086-3-1235264620.jpg

19086-3-1225384842.JPG

Here you go, it requires the Oblivion Script Extender (too large to upload at 1.8 Mb) to run but after that it's all set up by in-game menus (and you can change those at any time). I'd recommend trying lower settings at first (if you do not want to be overwhelmed the first time you enter a main town) although holing up in a stronghold -id est the Blade's fortress- and seeing how long you and your allies (you can recrute NPCs to your aid) can hold out is also fun. If you need any help feel free to contact me (I'm not one of the two main creators but I'm the only one who is actualy on and active)! :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

you guys are all banned for quote pyramids.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Me thinks he doesn't like pyramids all that much.

What do you mean?

No way.

Heja Sverige!!

What do you mean?

No way.

Don't spam.

Heja Sverige!!

What do you mean?

No way.

Don't spam.

that's it. banned.

Hah, we've reached the quoting limit. I can't post with all those quote boxes.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"