Oblivion is ****.

Humodour

Oblivion is ****

It is? I rather enjoyed it for the most part, except the NPCs they were quite wooden and boring. Get some mods and enhance the game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Probably one of the dumbest/funniest things I've ever seen in a game was seeing my brother do the VAT's thing in FO3 positioned 10ft away from the enemy. It cut to the kill cinematic as machinegun rounds littered the vicinity of the enemy's face and the enemy keeps charging, not even so much as a flinch. That's just so freakin dumb to have a stats based shooter. A bullet isn't a bullet unless you have the stats for it? Insane.

the thing is with any game, you will either like it, or you will not.

since you dont like it, or the elderscrolls ruleset, which has been in place since ARena, might I suggest you go and sell it at your local Hastings and get some of your money back.

I think it might have to do, in some part, with the TYPE of RPG people like to play. Beth has always produced open, story lite, sandbox games. They aren't for everyone, and it's understandable that on this forum, where folks are more likely interested in strong story, strong quest games, that there won't be many Oblivion fans.

since you dont like it, or the elderscrolls ruleset, which has been in place since ARena, might I suggest you go and sell it at your local Hastings and get some of your money back.

I think it might have to do, in some part, with the TYPE of RPG people like to play. Beth has always produced open, story lite, sandbox games. They aren't for everyone, and it's understandable that on this forum, where folks are more likely interested in strong story, strong quest games, that there won't be many Oblivion fans.

Actually, I'm a big fan of open world games, and the problem with Bethesda games isn't that they're light on plot but that the worlds are so poorly realized. Really, the only open thing thing about Oblivion is that you can walk right, left, forward and back. Regardless of where you go, you'll find the same quests, the same dungeons, the same loot, the same people. What kind of open ended, exploratory RPG is that?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It is?

yes.

the problem with Bethesda games is that Regardless of where you go, you'll find the same quests, the same dungeons, the same loot, the same people. What kind of open ended, exploratory RPG is that?

simplified to highlight something i agree *furiously* with.

It is?

again, yes.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Probably one of the dumbest/funniest things I've ever seen in a game was seeing my brother do the VAT's thing in FO3 positioned 10ft away from the enemy. It cut to the kill cinematic as machinegun rounds littered the vicinity of the enemy's face and the enemy keeps charging, not even so much as a flinch. That's just so freakin dumb to have a stats based shooter. A bullet isn't a bullet unless you have the stats for it? Insane.

Emptying a whole clip on an enemy at point blank range and missing every single shot, is the bread-and-butter of turnbased combat. Without catastrofic failiures, the victories wouldnt feel as sweet.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This. It makes me wonder if the reason they implemented VATS was to create the illusion of 'turn-based lite' in an attempt to appease the old fans.

Think that's it pretty much (same reason they threw everything from the old games in as much as they could too).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

VATS doesn't make an FPS turn based.

This. It makes me wonder if the reason they implemented VATS was to create the illusion of 'turn-based lite' in an attempt to appease the old fans.

Of COURSE that's why they did. (absoloutely no sarcasm)

Speaking of which, I've become convinced that the numbers that display during VATS in Fallout 3 are in no way indicative of your actual chance to hit.

I say this after an hour of nailing 1% shot after 1% shot while testing out my perception-revamp mod.

It's weird, because I liked Morrowind quite a bit. Not in a "best game evah" kind of way, but I enjoyed it and loved mucking around with the alchemy, wandering aimlessly around, and other tinkering stuff. But I recall becoming annoyed halfway through the actual game plot/sidequests and just editing my way to supergear-hood and doing freaky things with the editor for giggles & entertainment, or trying to do things like stay lvl 1 forever (to keep the monsters low), rather than truly finishing the game.

With Oblivion, it didn't take me too long to realize it was going to make me feel the same way, so I stopped playing before I even really began. I did think it was pretty, tho. :(

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Think that's it pretty much (same reason they threw everything from the old games in as much as they could too).

It's a shame too, considering that the game plays much better without VATS.

Actually, I'm a big fan of open world games, and the problem with Bethesda games isn't that they're light on plot but that the worlds are so poorly realized. Really, the only open thing thing about Oblivion is that you can walk right, left, forward and back. Regardless of where you go, you'll find the same quests, the same dungeons, the same loot, the same people. What kind of open ended, exploratory RPG is that?

That's interesting. Did you not leave town or cut cross country? There are all kinds of places to explore deep in the wilds. Oblivion and FO3 are exploration games. If you aren't interested in exploring, they aren't for you.

It's weird, because I liked Morrowind quite a bit. Not in a "best game evah" kind of way, but I enjoyed it and loved mucking around with the alchemy, wandering aimlessly around, and other tinkering stuff. But I recall becoming annoyed halfway through the actual game plot/sidequests and just editing my way to supergear-hood and doing freaky things with the editor for giggles & entertainment, or trying to do things like stay lvl 1 forever (to keep the monsters low), rather than truly finishing the game.

With Oblivion, it didn't take me too long to realize it was going to make me feel the same way, so I stopped playing before I even really began. I did think it was pretty, tho. ;)

Yeah, sorta the same with me. The music, the atmosphere and the art design in Morrowind was pretty nice. Plus going into the editor and finding cool stuff to magically appear on your character was somewhat fun. In Morrowind it was actually nice to roam around because each area was pretty unique and there weren't as many enemies to just flat out charge you for it.

Damn, what a difference just a few years make. I was a lot more ill then but also a lot more happy. Now I'm pretty much just floating in toilet water.

That's interesting. Did you not leave town or cut cross country? There are all kinds of places to explore deep in the wilds. Oblivion and FO3 are exploration games. If you aren't interested in exploring, they aren't for you.

How do you mean? What places? Are those places bustling with unique encounters? Are there a multitude of diverse actions a player can perform in those places?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

at least with morrowind it actually mattered what level you were

there's no way in hell you'd be going into ghostgate at low levels or you'd get annihilated

in oblivion you can complete every single quest in the game at like level 1/2 :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

How do you mean? What places? Are those places bustling with unique encounters? Are there a multitude of diverse actions a player can perform in those places?

So you are not an explorer...you want story. Again, the games are not for you...best continue to be an Obsidian fan.

So they suck for you? That's fine...they weren't made for you.

So you are not an explorer...you want story. Again, the games are not for you...best continue to be an Obsidian fan.

So they suck for you? That's fine...they weren't made for you.

Sorry for being rude, but learn to read.