New Obsidz Gaim?

Pop

There are exactly three North America studios with the capabilities and experiences to develop an AAA CRPG. Bethesda hasn't been using external IPs for nearly 15 years. Bioware turned away from external IPs in recent years and is owned by a publisher that a) without a D&D licenses b)Unlikely to cut a co-publishing deal with Atari.

Those left Obsidian as the only choice if Atari wants a D&D CRPG to be made. Given the current 2 years+ cycle, if development hasn't started this year then the game wouldn't be ready until 2012. By then it will be 6 years past Atari's last non-expansion D&D games. It's unthinkable Atari would let such a valuable licenses goes underutilized for so long.

So I would bet Obsidian's secret project is a new D&D game.

Makes sense.

Considering Dark Sun will make its return to the D&D franchise and for the 4th edition, I have high suspicion it would be Dark Sun. Otherwise its the usual NWN3 or BG3.

Edited by Zoma

If it was an established franchise, then wouldn't that mean that they would've had a publisher signed on since the very beginning of the project?

If they signed on with a publisher only 10 weeks ago, wouldn't it be more likely that it's an original project or am I understanding this wrong?

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Didn't they just start development about 10 weeks ago?

Probably means they went into full production 10 weeks ago, what would be the point of starting actual development if a studio is unsure if they'll be able to secure funding in the first place?

This topic was started in April: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=52101

So I guess that means no BG3 for example since Atari would've been attached from the start in that case if I understand how these things work. Hopefully an original setting.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Not necessarily. From what we can tell, Obsidz probably started work on New Vegas before they got an official contract from Bethesda. Aliens got axed in February and Sawyer started playing F3 incessantly, etc. The contract was signed in April and the announcement was made shortly thereafter.

I would doubt that we've got a BG3 or NWN3 in the works simply because relying on Atari is such a big big big risk. They may not be in as bad of straits as they were before Ghostbusters and the like came out, but they're still shaky. They just got a new CFO within the last few days. On the panel Fergie talked about taking a risk to make D&D games in the past since they love the game, but 2 or more years being dependent on Atari is a whole 'nother level of risk.

That having been said, I think Anthony Davis said way back when on the Codex that the unannounced game is fantasy, and I think that was after Seven Dwarves got canceled.

And let me be the first to say a bloo bloo 4th ed a bloo bloo.

Edited by Pop

Gamasutra - GDC Austin: The Pitfalls And Practicalities Of Licensed Games

Says Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, "A lot of it has to do with looking at the economic times. When there's more money, people are more willing to take risks. What we really rely upon on [these economic times] is to look at the catalog of the publisher." This is not a movie license, but the reawakening of a dormant franchise, in other words.

Of course the highlighted part is reporter's own speculation, but as an industry site Gamasutra may have some insider knowledge, so who knows.

So, let's assume it's a RPG. If it's "dormant", it's also (probably) not a franchise someone else is already working at, or something anyone has been doing for quite some time. With both NWN 2, KotOR 2 and now Fallout: New Vegas, Obsidian must have gained quite the reputation for continuing the work of others. Also, the mere usage of the word "franchise" implies that it is just that, a franchise of some repute (and not just a sequel to a single game). Also, Obsidian would probably not strike a deal with a publisher with a weak economy. Or maybe they already hold the rights?

Would it also be reasonable to assume that Obsidian wants to create a game in which they can recycle their art assets from "Alien: Crucible"?

So, let's look at the big publishers and the franchises they hold.

Let's just say this: whatever it is, it's bound to be a big thing :brows:

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Of course the highlighted part is reporter's own speculation, but as an industry site Gamasutra may have some insider knowledge, so who knows.

I think you may have completely misunterpreted the comment, in fact. This wasn't a comment about Obsidian's unannounced game, but a clarification about what Feargus was talking about. The panel seemed dedicated to licences and such, and the journalist just cleared out that Feargus wasn't talking about licences from another medias, but about old game series that didn't see the light of day for a time, and that a developper could ask to revive because it fits with what they do.

I know a lot of people around here love 40K, so I was thinking of talking to THQ at some point about whether they would like to a 40K game that is more RPG than RTS.

This would be rad.

I remember that (or a very similar) line from way back. I needed a cold shower afterwards :)

Heck, all they need to do is re-skin the aliens into genestealers and dress the marines up as Imperial Guardsmen and the the Onyx engine gets a chance to show us what was almost originally intended :o

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gamasutra - GDC Austin: The Pitfalls And Practicalities Of Licensed Games

Says Feargus Urquhart, CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, "A lot of it has to do with looking at the economic times. When there's more money, people are more willing to take risks. What we really rely upon on [these economic times] is to look at the catalog of the publisher." This is not a movie license, but the reawakening of a dormant franchise, in other words.

Do you think he means BG3?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I know a lot of people around here love 40K, so I was thinking of talking to THQ at some point about whether they would like to a 40K game that is more RPG than RTS.

This would be rad.

Hmh. Who said that and where? :o

Hate the living, love the dead.

Any new D&D game would use 4E.

Who cares as long as the story is good. I am not a fan of 3rd edition but NWN2 plus expansions have been keeping me entertained for endless hours.

I don't care, 2, 3 or 4 makes no difference to me. I was responding to:

I'd be very happy with a NWN3, but obviously a bit more wary if it were 4E D&D.
Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I think you may have completely misunterpreted the comment, in fact. This wasn't a comment about Obsidian's unannounced game, but a clarification about what Feargus was talking about. The panel seemed dedicated to licences and such, and the journalist just cleared out that Feargus wasn't talking about licences from another medias, but about old game series that didn't see the light of day for a time, and that a developper could ask to revive because it fits with what they do.

The quotations in the article gave me the impression that Feargus was explaining to rest of the panel Obsidian's strategy to get publishing deals during the economic slowdown, rather than discussing what a hypothetical developer may do. As we knew FO:NV was initiated from the Bethesda side, the project in question could have only been the unannounced title, right?

I we only knew who the publisher for this new game was. If it's Atari, it's bound to be Baldur's Gate 3. I mean, the changes to Baldur's Gate in 4th ed. basically screams for a game to be located there.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"