Fallout 3

jaguars4ever

The NPC are certainly less cardboard and anodyne than in Oblivion. But that's like saying someone is more animated than Stephen Hawking.

The gun issue with needing to reload makes very good sense, and only occurs when something is poorly maintained.

I can live with the bullet physics as is, because VATS is so freaking cool. I just love it. My only gripe is that a location specific headshot doesn't seem to do much to an opponent when they are crippled. I also miss being able to shoot the nuts off things. Even more so now there are flies.

[i had agility 10 to start with and took action girl. I can destroy an entire squad of enemies in one round with headshots. Plausible? no. Fun? Hell yeah.]

I can't believe they got rid of the action dependent end sceens! I've been going out of my way to do interesting things out of curiousity to see what impact they have. It's so obviously meant to wind up with some endings changing! Gah.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Head shots are awesome as they tend to blow their heads completely off.

Which gets annoying in about an hour. The game really lacks an option to turn Kool Slo Mo Effectz off.

20795.jpg

[quote name='H

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I donno. all my opponents seem to get a really quick acting case of leprosy when they fight me because I kill them and all their limbs go flying in five separate directions

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I love how grenades and mines take the legs off of people.

On Deathclaws:

I ran into my first deathclaw, courtesy of the Enclave. An Enclave officer was waiting for me near that Russian drunk guy's pad. She opened the doors to a big crate and out ran a Deathclaw! I took careful aim for the funny thing on his head, disabled it, and he turned around and mauled the officer. Good times!

I do like the deathclaws. And by like I mean am terrified of. I was just walking around with my trusty death ray, scorching them, and remarked "These deathclaws aren't so tough really." And a second deathclaw blindsided me over a bus shelter. There's a just a tonne of those little quirky humour bits in the game.

-Elwood Blues

Alright, I don't use VATS, but like, sniping is weird. Like, the sniper rifle doesn't zoom in too much, and it doesn't seem as accurate as it should be at all.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Not sure which thread this belongs to, but I read an article that Fallout 3 has already outsold ALL other Fallout games put together!

The cross-platform release pretty much guaranteed that from the get-go.

Plus, the first two games weren't that great.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Plus, the first two games weren't that great.

The first one was pretty good. But by todays standards both 1 and 2 are "niche" so their lack of appeal is pretty understandable. Even at the time Fallout was first released, it was considered a pretty hard-core crpg.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

will give more feedback later, but for now...

Gromnir is enjoying fo3... which is weird. no, we ain't a nma or codex freak who hates anything that screws with fo canon. heck, up until the robots portion of the game, we actually really enjoyed fo:t. "OMG, they put fur on the deathclaws. Those dumbf#@&$!" unlike others, we ain't measuring fo3 'gainst real & imagined standards of fo... or fo2.

kotor and mass effect. when Gromnir lists what were wrong with those games we can comes up with BIG lists. however, in the end we enjoyed both kotor and mass effect in spite of numerous and seemingly insurmountable flaws. fo3 is similar.

fo3 SPECIAL ain't particularly well-balanced. the skills ain't balanced neither... though it is nice to see that various combat approaches seem viable (melee weapon, unarmed, small guns and big guns all seems to works well...haven't tried energy weapons yet, so we hopes they ain't overwhelming powerful.) the writing ain't horrible, but is nothing to get excited 'bout. am seeing that skills and SPECIAL options pop up in dialogues often 'nuff, but the dialogues themselves is kinda pedestrian... and the quests won't be stuff we recall much beyond time we eventual stop playing fo3. jnpcs (like dogmeat) suck. have met a couple, and they is poorly written stimpack sinks. enemy ai is far less sophisticated than iwd2 or nwn2 and its expansion... which either means that developers didn't know how to make smart enemies, or they purposefully made stoopid so that it would be easy fro Gromnir to kill'em. skill points is too readily available so by end of game Gromnir's character will be pretty much great at just about everything... which diminishes our replay value. etc...

sounds like Gromnir dislikes fo3, no?

no.

am liking fo3. combat is fun... enough. the quests is fun... enough. in spite of all the aforementioned flaws (and many more we didn't bother to list above,) Gromnir is having fun playing fo3, which is ultimately more important than identifying individual flaws.

Gromnir likes Robert E. Howard. ask Gromnir to does a critical analysis o' any Robert E. Howard pulpy stories (and single novel) and we can makes sound like Robert. E. Howard were a hack without no skill in the craft... but that not change fact that Gromnir likes Robert E. Howard.

Gromnir is liking fo3... so far.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Alright, I don't use VATS, but like, sniping is weird. Like, the sniper rifle doesn't zoom in too much, and it doesn't seem as accurate as it should be at all.
Sniping is gimped. For some reason, not only do sniper rifles not zoom in too much, but also they seem unable to hit targets at extreme distances, or at least, as extreme as the zoom permits. The hits simply don't register, which forces you to close in - which kinda defeats the point of a sniper rifle to begin with.

The viewpoint is UTTER CRAP, as well. It's impossible to shoot from cover, because you are either not behind cover at all, or hitting whatever it is you are using for cover instead of the target, nevermind that there's a clear line between the barrel of the gun and the target.

VATS + missile launcher = luv

Edited by random n00b

It doesn't have to make sense. It only has to look cool. And shooting people's heads off never gets old.

Never before have I enjoyed gore in a game. Yet, there's just something about sneaking behind a master super mutant, crit hitting them in the head, and getting a slow mo image of it exploding and ripping off their neck.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I agree that the AI sucks.

When I first found dad, he said we needed to head out to Rivet City. I originally told him that I had my own stuff to do and I'd meet him. I finished looting everything in Vault 112, and so he was actually still running towards Rivet City and I managed to catch up with him. I don't see how he could have done it without me. Dad is something of a hot head, charging mini guns armed with nothing more than his fists and a badass attitude. No way in hell pops could have made it alone. Not the way he handled encounters. And I couldn't even tell him to wait a sec while I scouted ahead. Nope, once we beat down the baddies, dad was all for charging forward.

It doesn't have to make sense. It only has to look cool. And shooting people's heads off never gets old.

Never before have I enjoyed gore in a game. Yet, there's just something about sneaking behind a master super mutant, crit hitting them in the head, and getting a slow mo image of it exploding and ripping off their neck.

My problem with the gore is that nothing really happens to the torso. No huge chunk taken out of it when crit'd with a point blank shotgun blast. Not like in FO1&2. Limbs and headshots are straight, though :lol:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

My problem with the gore is that nothing really happens to the torso. No huge chunk taken out of it when crit'd with a point blank shotgun blast. Not like in FO1&2. Limbs and headshots are straight, though :o

I've never done a torso shot. Not one. If I have them in VATS then I'm going for the head.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Just started playing, and must say I'm impressed! What hasn't impressed me is the loud music that drowns out dialog. I've set my menu audio "music" and "radio" down to zero, and it's still blaring. I can't find a configuration menu that allows me to do anything else... am I missing something here? Would appreciate any help.

The game benefits from a proper sound card. These days many people make do with on board sound chips, but they usually don't handle directional audio on multiple channels that well.

First thing to do is to run directx setup and update sound drivers.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I honestly don't know how to do that. :o Anyway, I'm not the only person having this problem. Over on the Bethesda boards, several others are too. It's really a game breaker since the music is blasting constantly and I cannot hear anything else. Someone said they got relief by setting the wave output on Vista to direct sound. Unfortunately, I have XP and yep, I don't know how to do that either. I'm kind of hopeless...