GTA IV gets a perfect 10 at IGN

Meshugger

For everyone who's jealous of Kaftan paying GTA4 early: it's been out on torrent sites for a week or so.

And probably most of those are simply viruses and Trojans - yes, I distrust torrent and pirated things in general. :(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

For everyone who's jealous of Kaftan paying GTA4 early: it's been out on torrent sites for a week or so.

And probably most of those are simply viruses and Trojans - yes, I distrust torrent and pirated things in general. :(

lol. If you can't figure out which ones are obviously fakes (filesize, filename, user comments, seed vs peer ratio, release date) or you don't have a virus scanner, then you shouldn't be using P2P anyway.

To those discussing torrents, a few hints:

Using torrents for legal distribution is good. Especially for those who doesn't have the bandwidth to distribute large files, demos etc. Using torrents for illegal distribution is bad. Posting information about how to obtain illegally distributed products (or generally endorsing such) is a no go (which results in people getting warnings and moderated status).

Lets stick to discuss the merits or not of GTA IV and the quality of reviewers.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

To those discussing torrents, a few hints:

Using torrents for legal distribution is good. Especially for those who doesn't have the bandwidth to distribute large files, demos etc. Using torrents for illegal distribution is bad. Posting information about how to obtain illegally distributed products (or generally endorsing such) is a no go (which results in people getting warnings and moderated status).

Fair enough. I don't endorse using torrents for games, so I don't mean to come across as advocating such piracy. On the music/video industry I hold much more controversial views, however. Views which are unfortunately censored today due to fear of the RIAA, but will in the near future become the norm, as more and more artists and distributors recognise the benefits of pear to peer & online distribution, and the benefits of copyright openness in general (though some are as short-sighted as always).

Just consider the success of things like Wikipedia, Firefox, Linux, OpenOffice, search engines and online mail, Google's myriad of free software especially Google Docs, Google's Cloud philosophy, the OLPC type projects (and open-source programs used to knock hundreds off the price), etc...

Eek, before I officially derail this thread I shall cease posting in it. :(

Exactly like Hollywood. "OH WOW, EXPLOSION".

To be fair, I don't even know the GTA stories, though I would be surprised if it wasn't like that.

On topic, I hear people ranting about GTA's 'compelling' and 'driving' story. Could someone enlighten me how a game about sex with hookers, murdering people to steal their cars, and drug running could possibly have such elements?

Now now, most people here probably didn't find it quite fair when I characterized The Witcher as a "tittytastic grindfest" even when the game did contain lots of hand-drawn nude art, lots of opportunities to live the PC's sex life vicariously, and lots of grinding.

Though to be fair to myself, I actually did play that game prior to passing judgment.

Exactly like Hollywood. "OH WOW, EXPLOSION".

To be fair, I don't even know the GTA stories, though I would be surprised if it wasn't like that.

The first and second game didn't have any story to speak of, they were missions-for-the-sake-of-missions games. The third game was about a nameless, mute tough running missions for various criminal organizations. Vice City, which is probably the best of the series, was about an expatriate gangster in 80's Florida and thus immersed itself in ridiculous fashion and the cocaine trade. It heavily indebted itself to Scarface and Miami Vice and so on. San Andreas had a slightly more serious tone, being about a guy who comes back to his home in the ghetto to find his mother dead and his family in trouble. Generally the tone of the games has been light, with lots of jokey side characters and slapstick violence. The core characters in any given game have generally been pretty well written and are almost always given great voice actors. Ray Liotta was the voice of the PC in Vice City.

GTAIV is to depart from the norm in that the main character is an immigrant who is initially innocent and is pressed into crime.

So in a nutshell, GTA = Crime opera.

Edited by Pop

On topic, I hear people ranting about GTA's 'compelling' and 'driving' story. Could someone enlighten me how a game about sex with hookers, murdering people to steal their cars, and drug running could possibly have such elements?

Just like how a game about murdering people with baseball bats and handguns for speaking dirty to your lover, a game featuring an assassination of a judge because you don't agree with his views, a game about illegal whisky trafficking and killing because of protection money can have such elements, right?

I'm writing about Mafia, if you didn't catch it yet.

You can argue that the themes are entirely different and I'm writing way off-base, but I bet we can at least agree that they don't actually have to play a big part for the story to be awesome?

Edit:This thread is so August that's it's not even funny.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

GTA is a game about sex with hookers in the same way that Arcanum is (to pick the first game featuring prostitution that came to mind). At least Tigranes admits he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I suppose if you are opposed to playing a game in which the player is a criminal, like the GTA series, or Mafia, or Hitman, or Thief or whatever, then this might not be for you. Or maybe it's the combination of criminality and the general light-hearted tone of the games. If I was ever going to be morally outraged by something in a game, I think I'd put "killing humans" above sex with prostitutes or stealing cars, but then I'd need to find a new hobby. At least GTA has the police after you for killing innocents, in Deus Ex you can do it without consequence.

Pop is right, GTA is a crime opera. It's also the best damn open-world sandbox game ever, so there.

I always liked just getting on a motorbike and riding around the countryside in San Andreas, Good times.

I always liked just getting on a motorbike and riding around the countryside in San Andreas, Good times.

I understand what you mean but how is that gaming?

I mean, if I want to roam the country side on a motorbike I'll put on a leather jacket, jump on my motorbike and go for a ride in the country side.

If you didnt know, T2 issued the following release last week

http://bp1.blogger.com/_ejVhPSXllX0/SBDF2a.../27ywepcmr8.jpg

GTAIV has been unofficially available in all stores with copies in stock since the 24th

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I understand what you mean but how is that gaming?

I mean, if I want to roam the country side on a motorbike I'll put on a leather jacket, jump on my motorbike and go for a ride in the country side.

Being that I don't have a motorbike nor a licence, I guess driving a motorcycle around the countryside is as unrealistic for me as flying a helicopter for the sake of it, something I also do in the game. Besides, it's not something I'd load the game to do specifically, it's something done when taking a break between missions. It's the driving mechanics of the game that I enjoy, while sitting back in a comfy chair with controller in hand.

Not to mention, you can't run over pedestrians while enjoying the sights in real-life most of the time.

I've seen the footage/trailers/review from Gametrailers. Can't see I hold much interest in it. I'm not into crime operas, so the story aspect isn't drawing me in. The gameplay itself doesn't seem to be particularly special. The sandbox elements are nice, but I've been spoiled by Crackdown and its fully-fledged 2p co-op through the whole game. In that sense, given the importance I place on co-op, GTA4 is a massive, massive step down. I can't justify myself taking that step. My next sandbox game will be Mercs2, also with full 2p co-op.

That being said, the multiplayer aspects are the most interesting part of the game. The (limited, sadly enough) co-op missions sound like the best part, though they seem a very minor part of the game - too bad. However, and this is GTA4's greatest asset for me, the sandbox format could bring some fresh elements to PvP. Having access to the full/a large part of the city in PvP would be pretty cool. Some of the gamemodes also sound pretty compelling. Cops vs robbers sounds really nice. Car chases could be a load of fun. Mafiaworks as well, as each team compete to complete objectives throughout the city. Not to mention pulling all sorts of crap and running down pedestrians in-between all the action.

My main skepticism is that my main reason with getting the game would be for the PvP (with the co-op missions being a very very sweet bonus, but only a small bonus). The last game I did this for was CoD4 - a game I've even regretted purchasing (well, trading in - I never planned on using real money to pay for it, but it seemed like a good deal for a trade-in). It was mainly PvP-focused, and I've found that PvP alone cannot sustain me. Maybe it was because the singleplayer in that game kind of sucked. I might pick it up once it drops in price, or once it really seems like everyone else is embracing the mp part of the game and it proves itself to have some sort of lasting value (which CoD4 frankly didn't really have).

In any case, it sounds like I condone running down pedestrians, but I don't. I really don't.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

If you didnt know, T2 issued the following release last week

http://bp1.blogger.com/_ejVhPSXllX0/SBDF2a.../27ywepcmr8.jpg

GTAIV has been unofficially available in all stores with copies in stock since the 24th

Nice try.

http://kotaku.com/383724/that-release-gta-...er-its-not-real

No, we still know how you got it, Kaftan.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Still, it would have been the most sound bussiness strategy to actually do go ahead and release it early as a form of damage control. I know that over here, noone with a hacked 360 chose NOT to download it and play it over the weekend. There no saying if some of those people would have bought it on release if there hadnt been a pirated version, but T2 has theoreticly missed some revenue because of this.

But despite piracy or ridicilously inflated review score, GTA4 will sell a gazillion bloody copies when the day is done.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

GTA's story is great, but it's really a combination of many factors that makes it one of my top picks. I've never actually played the story line all the way through, I usually just try and unlock as much of the map as possible and then enjoy exploring. The drive mechanics aren't perfect, but they work for the game. I can't really think of many other games that give you such a comprehensive sandbox experience.

There is just an endless possibility for adventure. One time in San Andreas I was riding a motorcycle down a highway. A cop car went speeding by, chasing someone else. Suddenly he turned into me, causing me to head straight towards the railing. I went over the handle bars and plunged about 20 feet down into the ocean. I looked back up at the cliff when I hit and was rewarded by the sight of a squad car crashing over the railing and following me into the ocean. It was just awesome. I swam to a nearby boat and sped off smiling.

What specifically is yor guys' problem with the driving?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I forget. Did you play Crackdown, Hurlie? How would you compare them?

I played it and loved it. Crackdown is like a weird combination of GTA and Super Mario Bros. All I wanted to do was collect those jumping things throughout the city. Needless to say, it's a heck of a lot more cartoony, not just with the art but the entire physics of the game.

They are both at their best as sandbox games, but I'd still say they feel very different. GTA feels a lot more alive as a world. The city itself feels more finely crafted, and whichever one you are playing (3, VC, or SA) has a unique style with the music, clothes, and cars.

I'd give the GTA series an August, and Crackdown an October.

I've always thought of GTA as more of a taupe.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What the crap does that rating system even mean? Is August 10/10, or is October? To put things into perspective, if you were to rate - say - Hades or Gabrielle, where would you put them on that scale?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)