Movies you have seen lately

Walsingham

AVP-R

Incredible. The female lead and her daughter made very good Ripley and Newt impersonations. If she'd been white with curly hair, I would have mistaken her for Sigourney Weaver. And it introduces a very nice new alien technique.

A queen impregnating without eggs. And multiple impregnations of a single host this way.

That's just bloody silly.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The reviews on AVP-R are shockingly dire. I think I'll wait 'till this comes to cable.

I swear some of those critics are trying to look at the plot. I didn't go to see a plot. I went to see predators and aliens beating the crap out of each other and that's what I got. On that count it was much better than the first one.

That's just bloody silly.

Silly? It's awesome! A reasonable introduction that eliminates a previously believed weakness.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

No country for old men. I really wanted to like this movie but in the end I was left with just a mild appreciation for it. It was really the ending that rubbed me the wrong way and I don't mean the very very end, that was perfectly fitting for how the movie had taken its turn but I mean the twist towards the end kind of ruined it for me. But hey thats just a character thing about me I suppose. Other than that the "gore" in the movie and action was quite well done. It wasn't overly insane and outrageous and overall the movie was pretty "realistic" which was a nice change of pace. It was a good movie, original, clean, and showed how mexico is tearing this country apart.

I give it 8 dead Latino drug runners out of 10.

Oh yeah and silenced shotgun is awesome.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

"Alien" Directors Cut + a lot of the extras content, including the deleted scenes that didn't even make into the DC version.

"Aliens" is probably up next.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Eastern Promises.

Quite good. Cronenberg at his best. The fight scene is worth the whole movie.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Alien" Directors Cut + a lot of the extras content, including the deleted scenes that didn't even make into the DC version.

Keep in mind that the original cut of Alien is the true Director's Cut. The "Director's Cut" that is labelled as such was cut by Ridley Scott, but only because when the studio tried to recut it he felt they did a horrible job. His definitive cut is still the original. Which is actually a minute longer.

It was interesting when I found this out because it contradicted my previous understanding of what a "Director's Cut" could mean. It was no longer "the cut the director wanted but the studio wouldn't allow," it was "extra scenes to make a buck." Sometimes it is the latter, usually it's the former.

Edited by Tale

Keep in mind that the original cut of Alien is the true Director's Cut. The "Director's Cut" that is labelled as such was cut by Ridley Scott, but only because when the studio tried to recut it he felt they did a horrible job. His definitive cut is still the original. Which is actually a minute longer.

It was interesting when I found this out because it contradicted my previous understanding of what a "Director's Cut" could mean. It was no longer "the cut the director wanted but the studio wouldn't allow," it was "extra scenes to make a buck." Sometimes it is the latter, usually it's the former.

I know :)

Some of the stuff was nice, some of it pointless. I can understand why some of the restored stuff didn't even make into the DC version. Still nice to see it on the extras DVD though.

I just watched "Aliens" last night. Now, there is a movie which definitely benefits from the 40 minutes of additional footage "put back in", as it actually makes sense and in some ways make for a more coherent movie. I always wondered how Ripley knew how to drive one of those power lifters :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sweeny Todd was great. Romantic, tragic, disturbing, beautiful. Music and acting. I hadn't seen the original musical or anything, so I can't compare it. Depp was great, and I was really pleasently suprised at how well his singing turned out. It fit perfect. I'm in love with Helena Carter. Sacha Baron Cohen was also a really pleasent suprise, I don't know what I expected, but what I got was wonderful. I love Helena Carter. All the songs were great, and I went out and bought the soundtrack afterwards. Great movie. I love Helena Carter.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Bonham

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sweeny Todd was beautiful.

AVP-R was exactly what I had hoped it to be.

No Country For Old Men was the best film of the year for me.

DVDs: MPD Psycho was weird, even for a Miike film.

The Interrogator (Mike) was pretty normal for a Miike film, but impressive that he could shift gears so dramatically.

Kickboxer was even worse than I remembered.

The Seventh Seal made me ashamed I hadn't seen it earlier.

Going through my Neon Genesis Evangelion box set has been a weird bit of time travel (I watched the series last during my senior year of high school).

Planet Terror made me very excited for Machete.

Deathproof made my wonder why everyone had hated on it so much when it was out in theaters. Watching the two films back to back really made me wonder why Grindhouse didn't do better in the box office.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

Blade Runner Remastered Directors Cut

This movie pretty much sucked. I can understand that during it's time it was probably really stylish and futuristic but just like gaming, good graphics doesn't mean good content. It was overtly weird as hell but most importantly I honestly don't understand for a 2 hour movie a whole not of absolutely nothing happened. It seemed like I was in a coma because something that could take 30 minutes lasted an entire hour and 50 minutes yet at the same time it didn't exactly seem like it was extremely long and drawn out. The acting and plot was alright I suppose it was just the way it was executed. I'd have to say the only redeeming factor of this movie is probably seeing that one chicks bewbs and the music.

5/10 Never would watch again.

I don't think you actually watched the right movie, because Blade Runner is great even now.

I've been thinking about getting the two Grindhouse films every time I see them at Circuit City. I also saw the Planet Earth Blu-Ray set at Wal-Mart today for $65 and am determined to buy that either today or tomorrow. Or the three Evil Dead movies for $7.50 each. I don't think I'll get enough enjoyment out of them to say it was a good purchase, my interest in probably in the novelty due to their cult status.

Really? The ending completely ruined it for me. The book's ending was so much better in my opinion.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Or the three Evil Dead movies for $7.50 each. I don't think I'll get enough enjoyment out of them to say it was a good purchase, my interest in probably in the novelty due to their cult status.

If Evil Dead 2 has the commentary with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell, skip the others and just buy that one. Army of Darkness doesn't bare well to repeated viewings.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Blade Runner Remastered Directors Cut

This movie pretty much sucked. I can understand that during it's time it was probably really stylish and futuristic but just like gaming, good graphics doesn't mean good content. It was overtly weird as hell but most importantly I honestly don't understand for a 2 hour movie a whole not of absolutely nothing happened. It seemed like I was in a coma because something that could take 30 minutes lasted an entire hour and 50 minutes yet at the same time it didn't exactly seem like it was extremely long and drawn out. The acting and plot was alright I suppose it was just the way it was executed. I'd have to say the only redeeming factor of this movie is probably seeing that one chicks bewbs and the music.

5/10 Never would watch again.

I don't think you actually watched the right movie, because Blade Runner is great even now.

It's a worthwhile film, but theslug is correct that the best part about it is the production design, art direction, and other stylistic elements.

Here is a recent retrospective of the various reactions to the film since its release. Summary excerpt:

The movie is a transfixing multisensory turn-on from beginning to end. But because its story is underplotted and its characters almost totally opaque, the weight of the film falls to its sumptuous visual palette

Ocean's thirteen: Nice movie, fun to watch, and no one dies. Which is a nice chnage from time to time.

I am Legend: Absolutly loved it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"