Games you are looking forward to

Darque

Nothing upcoming presently strikes me as something that I am looking forwards to. Of mild note:

• Spore had my attention for a while but now it is only a mild interest. This is due to the hype wearing off, the inevitable aging of the underlying engine and the novelty of many of the ideas is no longer novel.
  • I follow the Battlefront series of strategy and tactical games but I wouldn't say that I wait for their next big release. I no longer invest in RTS games as they are all basically the same with different graphic shells for things.
  • I am paying some attention to the group (Mechwarrior Living Legends) trying to setup a MMORPG through a total conversion of Crysis. They appear to be using technical specs based off of what was available in the Mechwarrior 4 series of Desktop games.

Additionally:

• + A Sequal to The Witcher might get me excited.
  • + A new DND series or another core expansion to NWN2/MOTB would get me excited.
  • + I would buy another Prince of Persia if one materializes -- I usually do not like this type of game but the PoP marginal Role driven storyline with the abundance of adventure puzzles is one that I find engaging usually. I'll admit that a well done flash module doing something similar in 2d gives me about the same level of entertainment at a much, much lower resource cost.

I am not a big fan of small adventure add ons though I do buy them and enjoy them.

Epic adventures are more along the lines of what I find entertaining. I'll pay large for something along the scale of the BG series. I paid maybe 50$ for the entire series and I was late to it -- something like that I'd shell out $300 for minimum and I would consider it a bargain for the level of entertainment it provided (and still provides every few years).

The Witcher was good but hardly epic. Given the lack of any real competition on the Desktop side it couldn't help but stand out -- bugs and all. Call it a lack of real alternatives. I enjoyed it but part of that may stem from being starved for new material and ideas for the genre. At the least the game brought the originating writer to my attention and I will probably buy the novels when they have been translated into English and published (assuming that the tranlations are actually done reasonably well -- Polish does not translate easily into English).

MMORPGS are great for what they do but scratch a completely different gaming itch; they also tend to offer poor environments for storylines or at the most those that do have outstanding storylines are not immersive/atmospheric enough to outshout the emergent metagaming atmosphere that is the possibly inevitable result of 'massive' player populations.

Edited by flirno dale

Epic adventures are more along the lines of what I find entertaining. I'll pay large for something along the scale of the BG series. I paid maybe 50$ for the entire series and I was late to it -- something like that I'd shell out $300 for minimum and I would consider it a bargain for the level of entertainment it provided (and still provides every few years).

The Witcher was good but hardly epic. Given the lack of any real competition on the Desktop side it couldn't help but stand out -- bugs and all. Call it a lack of real alternatives. I enjoyed it but part of that may stem from being starved for new material and ideas for the genre. At the least the game brought the originating writer to my attention and I will probably buy the novels when they have been translated into English and published (assuming that the tranlations are actually done reasonably well -- Polish does not translate easily into English).

MMORPGS are great for what they do but scratch a completely different gaming itch; they also tend to offer poor environments for storylines or at the most those that do have outstanding storylines are not immersive/atmospheric enough to outshout the emergent metagaming atmosphere that is the possibly inevitable result of 'massive' player populations.

The Baldur's Gate Series does indeed provide entertainment every few months for me. I still call it the best RPG of all time until something that gets even close to it comes out - which, I must sadly say, hasn't. Baldur's Gate storyline, as well as game play were fantastic nothing ever felt forced. I also loved the difficulty settings, because it could range for easy for newcomers, and hardcore for old gamers that wanted an actual challenge, which, I must say, it is probably the easiest *and* hardest RPGS out there. NWN1/2 were just too easy, and I beat NWN2 the first time without dying once, which was a real big disappointment. In BG, I die so many times it's amazing, and when I beat whatever I'm fighting, it feels like something actually worth noting. :( Oh well, I doubt anything close to BG will ever come out, sadly.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm looking forward to Mysteries of Westgate, GTAIV, Far Cry 2

I am looking forward to Purgatorio :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Bionic Commando:Rearmed

Nuff said.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Some information and screens from The Sims 3 have finally been released - I have to admit they don't look quite as impressive as I'd hoped.

The screenshots don't look much better than TS2, but the info is fab. The fact that the game will no longer be lot based is pretty awesome, and the traits system sounds nice.

It's going to be open-ended with a seamless world to explore..? It's starting to sound like a RPG or something.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's going to be open-ended with a seamless world to explore..? It's starting to sound like a RPG or something.

The Sims has always been an RPG. It certainly has more meaningful roleplaying in it than about any Bioware game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

How impressed can you be with screenshots of a Sims game anyway?

They seem much less of an improvement over The Sims 2 than that was over the original game. I admit though that I'm more interested with how it plays, and in particular how smoothly it plays. Isn't a free-roaming world likely to be less smooth, more jerky?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The Sims has always been an RPG. It certainly has more meaningful roleplaying in it than about any Bioware game.

It has no story whatsoever. Is that an RPG for you?

Actually, it does have a story. It's just one crafted by the player during the course of the game.

Also, while I certainly enjoy a narrative in my RPGs, and think RPGs are made better by the existence of a defined storyline in them, it's not really an essential feature in defining the genre.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Rise of the Argonauts has been sort of on my radar for a little while. It ought to be an interesting setting with great storytelling potential, but there's so little information about the gameplay, in particular what their take on 'action' in 'action RPG' is. Still, here's a preview.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

• 2 weeks later...

Not really interested in MMO's. It's too bad Age of Conan is one because I would have absolutely loved it as a RPG.

Anyhow, I was looking up the games I have on my list of "looking forward to" and found this little piece on Boiling Point, Precursors (look out for this one!) and White Gold (Boiling Point 2):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=763

It's amazing how much alike me and this Jim dude thinks! Who cares about weird bugs and low production values when the game is so good? :grin:

portal 2

Yes.

And Half-life 2: Episode 3.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.