What are you playing now?

Darque

Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now!

We're going retro! If Jack Thompson had been relevant when this one came out, it would have been heralded as the original "killographic murder simulator."

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Picked up Crackdown for 360 tonight. I only got about a half hour of playtime in, but that half hour was full of explosions and guns and blood and more explosions.

Which makes it cool.

Good choice, really fun game! It's just sad that a majority of the people picked this up just for the Halo 3 beta.

I'm working my way through the campaigns in Command and Conquer 3 still. Finally hit a mission that I didn't beat on my first try. Have to take out a Nod nuke silo before it launches, but they only give you like 6 minutes on hard before the missile launches and the mission is a failure. :teehee:

Still playing C&C Renegade.

I'm in France(I suppose) helping some resistance fighters around a city crawling with NOD forces.

Pretty cool level but much harder than anything else before it. Took me by surprise.

Now I have 2 tanks and a buggy to destroy and not a single rocket left. :brows:

That's the one where you have to go in and rescue your team right? I like that mission. :brows:

I managed to beat the nuke mission in C&C3! Only took two tries. I put up an airfield immediately after the mission started and used the orca strike power on the nuke silo. Brought the silo down to about 2/3rd health. I sent them in again with about 30 seconds left which brought it down to 1/3rd health. Finally sent 8 bombers on a suicide run. 2 of them made it through the anti-air defences and managed to throw out 2 missiles each. Took out the silo with 15 seconds left on the clock. :teehee:

Next mission has you defending a base that's under attack. What's the catch you say? The base has no building construction facilities. That wouldn't be so bad, but you've only got enough power to run half of your defensive structures at one time! You have to juggle power between the defenses to keep from being overrun by Nod until reinforcements arrive. :shifty:

I was considering WoW last night while visiting Blizzard's website and reading up on the game, but then I had recollections of my time on Battle.net playing D1 and then D2 for almost seven years straight. The following thoughts came to mind:

1. I'm an older gamer who'll be 40 this autumn, which puts me at "old geezer" level among most of the WoW players I'm likely to encounter, so it's not likely I'll get along that well with them and will probably end up being a lone wanderer most of the time.

2. I play at a rather slow pace, especially when I'm learning, and younger people tend to play much faster, so again I'll probably end up questing alone. I did find the occasional groups to play with in D2, but they were always in such a big hurry. When I try to hurry, I die a lot, and that's no fun.

3. Even with a cable modem, I've had nothing but lag issues with Blizzard's servers, and I'm guessing WoW's servers, even those with "low" populations, will be somewhat the same. Games with real-time combat are almost pointless with lag interfering.

4. With the above three points, I can't justify the monthly fee, and feel I'm better off playing singleplayer games.

Has anyone been in a similiar situation, or perhaps can you debunk my assumptions about WoW? I figured if I got the game, I'd probably join a "Normal" realm, because I hate PvP, and I'm lousy at roleplaying in a group. It's one thing to play a role by selecting dialog responses and completing quests a certain way, but quite another to chat "in character" in real-time with other players. All in all, I'm thinking I should avoid the game and look elsewhere. I've not had very many positive experiences in multiplayer games in times past.

1. I'm an older gamer who'll be 40 this autumn, which puts me at "old geezer" level among most of the WoW players I'm likely to encounter, so it's not likely I'll get along that well with them and will probably end up being a lone wanderer most of the time.

I have been avoiding almost all the connections from other WoW players.

2. I play at a rather slow pace, especially when I'm learning, and younger people tend to play much faster, so again I'll probably end up questing alone. I did find the occasional groups to play with in D2, but they were always in such a big hurry. When I try to hurry, I die a lot, and that's no fun.

You and me both. You don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I was considering WoW last night while visiting Blizzard's website and reading up on the game, but then I had recollections of my time on Battle.net playing D1 and then D2 for almost seven years straight. The following thoughts came to mind:

Thats a non-issue. Ill be 38 in Dec and Ive not run into that issue. You may be surprised how many of us geezers are playing WoW. Of course you run into the occasional tard but you can "ignore" them. Most of the game can be soloed anyway with the exception of instances.

When grouped for instances most people arent in a hurry. As a mage I frequently have to stop to eat/drink and its never a problem.

3. Even with a cable modem, I've had nothing but lag issues with Blizzard's servers, and I'm guessing WoW's servers, even those with "low" populations, will be somewhat the same. Games with real-time combat are almost pointless with lag interfering.

You will be golden with a cable modem.

Has anyone been in a similiar situation, or perhaps can you debunk my assumptions about WoW? I figured if I got the game, I'd probably join a "Normal" realm, because I hate PvP, and I'm lousy at roleplaying in a group. It's one thing to play a role by selecting dialog responses and completing quests a certain way, but quite another to chat "in character" in real-time with other players. All in all, I'm thinking I should avoid the game and look elsewhere. I've not had very many positive experiences in multiplayer games in times past.

Definately go on a "normal" server. There you cant be ganked and trust me, nobody chats "in character" there. Its darn near the perfect game for me. Epic powers, beautiful world, fluid gameplay, unnumeral weapons/armors/stuff to play with, character customization, interesting quests, etc... Its literally the reason I cant be arsed to play my copy of NWN2. With my limited gaming time, why waste time on a flaming POS when I could play my beloved WoW?

4. With the above three points, I can't justify the monthly fee, and feel I'm better off playing singleplayer games.

I'm 34, going to be 35 this year, and I played WoW for 2 years and I would say most of it was spent doing my own thing. I did have real life friends I grouped with but my play time usually conflicted with theirs, so when I was logging on they were getting ready to log off and go to bed. I was pretty much limited to playing a couple hours a night after the family went to bed except on the weekends when I could stay up a little longer. I enjoyed my time in WoW and will probably play it again at some point. The game didn't require you to have a group in order to reach 60 but if you wanted to complete some quests to get really cool drops then you did need to group up.

When I first started playing I was on a PvE server and while it was the safest route to 60 it could also get boring. It does have the advantages of being left alone and not having to worry about someone who is twice your level coming around and one shotting you just for kicks. I ended up moving to a PvP RP server last year and it's been really fun so far. Thing is, I don't role play but the community on the server is alot better than some of the other non-RP servers I've been on. Once you reach around level 20 things will get a little interesting because you have to be aware of your surroundings, otherwise you'll be free points to some level 70. I found the challenge of playing on a PvP server to be little more exciting and rewarding...it's not a cake walk. For someone like you, who is new to the game, I would definitely start out on a PvE server and once you get the hang of the game you can try PvP later on. You can still do PvP on the PvE servers but it's by your choice, whether it be in the world of Azeroth or in Battlegrounds.

Is it worth $15 p/month? For the 2 years I played it, I thought so. You could also just stick with single player games which I plan on doing for a while. WoW is a different game experience, though, because you're playing a game with other gamers all over the world and then there's PvP which always gives me an adrenaline rush, something I never got from any of the single player games I've ever played.

If the montly fee is an issue, get a game card. 30$ for 3-4 months. If you don't like it just stop.

You could also download de free trial multiple times. I haven't tried this yet but apparently it works.

Or, get Guild Wars. MMO with no monthly fees and a low-end system(relatively speaking, a 486 won't do) still works fine.

Man, I must have played a different WoW. Myself and the others I knew who played at the time all joked about how long it took to do quests, build up your skills, etc.

I know there were ways to reach lvl 60 relatively rapidly, but if you weren't going that route it is not a speed-game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Man, I must have played a different WoW. Myself and the others I knew who played at the time all joked about how long it took to do quests, build up your skills, etc.

I know there were ways to reach lvl 60 relatively rapidly, but if you weren't going that route it is not a speed-game.

Solo your speed falls straight through the floor, but when you have a buddy to play with things go MUCH faster.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Just got C&C3 Kane Edition #40510 and also Oblivion Shivering Isles.

I think you win something for getting that number.

What do I get for #37650? 8)

A cookie.

I've got number 1 of 100,00. Is that good?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Solo your speed falls straight through the floor, but when you have a buddy to play with things go MUCH faster.

I got a ten-day trial for WoW a month ago and played some. I guess it was pretty fun, but I don't have the time to get my money's worth for $15 a month. I mostly enjoyed being a gnome and traveling to the human starting point and doing missions there (I got sick of being around snow and dwarves and other gnomes). The tall people with lower levels would challenge me and I'd beat their faces.

Yeah, I understand that - assuming your buddy knows the game better than you do, at least.

The other factor is how much you like to learn/discover on your own vs. getting all the info from other people or websites. I had one buddy always telling me to go to a website to get answers, even early on. I like figuring things out on my own...most people I end up playing with are the same way, so I guess we're just old slow pokes. 8)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

DQ8 - 110+ hours 8)

Best game EVER!! 8) Well.. almost. Did you do both endings? I actually enjoyed the alternative ending more..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!