Anime recommendations

Zoma

Excel Saga

How's that for a mind****?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've given up on Hayate no Gotoku (Hayate the Combat Butler) around ep9... the pacing is really bad (in a technical sense), the jokes are too overdrawn and none of the characters are really good. For me, anyway.

Osaka does get the best 'events' but I still hate Osaka. I wanted to find a youtube of the scene just after the one I linked to - um, the one where Tomo smacks Yukari in the face and there's the war drums - but I can't find it. That's just an awesome awesome bit.

Currently watching Darker than Black, Nodame Cantabile.

Excel Saga

How's that for a mind****?

Ah, Excel Saga. :sorcerer:

I guess I should watch Cat Soup again. Some silly people say EoE is most confusing anime movie ever. Pfft. They haven't seen Cat Soup.

You can watch it here and I really recommend it if you're looking for artistical, weird, abnormal, great and post modern piece of art.

It is short film by Tatsuo Sato :p

Oh, and Serial Experiments Lain is great anime. If you're searching for more serious and philosophical one (serious =/= angsty) you can't find much better than this.

Lain is influenced by philosophical subjects such as reality, identity, and communication. The series focuses on Lain Iwakura, an adolescent girl living in suburban Japan, and her introduction to the Wired, a global communications network similar to the Internet. Lain lives with her middle class family, which consists of her inexpressive older sister Mika, her cold mother, and her computer-obsessed father.

The first ripple on the pond of Lain's lonely life appears when she learns that girls from her school have received an e-mail from Chisa Yomoda, a schoolmate who committed suicide. When Lain receives the message at home, Chisa tells her (in real time) that she is not dead, but has just "abandoned the flesh", and has found God in the Wired. From then on, Lain is bound to a quest which will take her ever deeper into both the network and her own thoughts.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I thought Lain was pretentious. It's nice because of its production value and trying to figure out wtf is going on.

I bought it as it was originally being released in the states. I kept buying each new DVD expecting some sort of psychic fight to break out like the end of Dark City. It never happened, but I still didn't regret buying it.

*shrug*

IMHO it's not pretentious, unlike most of this kind of animes (Ghost in Shell anyone?).

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Serial Experiments Lain was one of those anime that you have to go to wikipedia after watching the show to understand the plot. It could've been pretty awesome if i would've watched before The Matrix and its bastard clones.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

*shrug*

IMHO it's not pretentious, unlike most of this kind of animes (Ghost in Shell anyone?).

Ultimately Ghost in the Shell is a combination Crime Drama and action. It was very much up front about that. They spelled it out pretty early on in the movie with naked women and an exploding head.

Lain, on the other hand, pretended to be deeply philosophical when ultimately it seemed they were just going for a mind****.

Edited by Tale

"Huh? I thought I had a fying pan" :p

RahXephon

Forget NGE.

All I have to say about RahXephon.

Hahhah :sorcerer:

In defence, you could find next to all those scenes repeated throughout the history of mecha and anime in general. I mean, "a city being destroyed by fighters"? "Woman removing sunglasses?" Apocalyptic stuff in general?

Ultimately, not only are the leitmotifs(e.g no crosses in Xephon), influences(Christian-Freudian vs Mayan-Classical) very different, the characters and the plot is nothing alike besides such overarching themes present in almost any fictious media, like chosen ones, growing-up story and mind****. Hell, you could make a similar site for Brave Raideen and RahXephon and for NGE and Akira. RahXephon manga on the other hand, seemed pretty copycat.

I'm not trying to skulldugger NGE(I was going to edit my orginal post to have some sort of content, but the time limit killed that, sorry), it is just that RahXephon appeals to me immensely, whereas I recognize NGE for what it is and can enjoy it's qualities(again mind****, mechas, apocalyptism, humour), but it ultimately feels pretentious and flat, especially when looked in the light of Anno's mental problems and not having a real ending(although EoE salvaged some of that).

Also, no Asuka.

Ei ole koiraa karvoihin katsomista, okei?

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Osaka has one of the best scenes in the whole series. Erm, I wont spoil you, but trust me on this one.

Which episode?

One of the summer house episodes. I don

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Osaka has one of the best scenes in the whole series. Erm, I wont spoil you, but trust me on this one.

Which episode?

One of the summer house episodes. I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Chapter 11 of Claymore came out yesterday. And I was swiftly assured that it has depth in bounds and heaps. Hell, I started watching it for face value things like...well, claymores, but this creeping turn of events where the plot started to thicken with each episode...it is glorious. If anyone has yet to watch it, do it now.

I saw the first 4 episodes yesterday. My kind of anime, chicks with bigass-swords and a lot of blood (ofcourse it's more than that, but i should had to say it :) )

It reminds me a bit of Berserk, maybe less 'manly and brutal', but still veery recommended for anyone interested in fantasy and adventure.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was so hyped with how the story was going and started to read the manga.

It's pretty awesome so far.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I too had to watch Claymore, because you guys kept talking about it and I think this pictures explains couple of first episodes almost perfectly.

post-711-1183149931_thumb.jpg

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I too had to watch Claymore, because you guys kept talking about it and I think this pictures explains couple of first episodes almost perfectly.

post-711-1183149931_thumb.jpg

Printed, framed and will be put on my office-desk by monday.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Ok, i recently watched the anime Noir and thought it was pretty amazing. I've also just finished watching Madlax and am currently watching El Cazador de la Bruja. So far, Noir is my favourite. Can anyone recommend any similar type animes for me to look out for? Not really into tentacle stuff or hentai or little school girl stuff, though Gunslinger Girls was pretty decent.

As I said, I liked Noir the best. More mature, darker and amazing really.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

(Search > me :o )

I haven't yet to watch any of the anime in the "Girl's with Guns trilogy"(as it was aptly named by the writer), but if you like darker flavor and not just "omgz we gots boobs and blod!!!1", I so very much recommend Black Lagoon, a pirate anime of a mercenary company working in the South China Sea and especially their relationship with the Russian Mafia. It's told from the viewpoint of Rokuro "Rock" Okajima, a businessman who gets kidnapped by and later joins the crew. Featuring lots and lots of violence, pretty bleak outlook on the world at large, wading knee-deep in the criminal underworld of Asia and not cringeing at even darker themes like snuff movies, child prostitution and sociopathy, it is easily one of the more darker animes around. Sure, there's a lot of humor, some of it near slapstick and there's a downplayed romance aspect to the relationship between Rock and the Lagoon Company's mobile weapons platfor...no wait...make it nuclear bomb, "Two Hands" Revy, but there's definetly zero good guys in the series and it has probably given me the most in terms of emotional responses from the viewer. Frankly, it's one to laugh, cry and gack for and has awesome gunfights as well.

Don't miss it. Seriously, you'll regret it. Well, you're gonna hate me anyway after you see the themes the final arc in the series portrays, so what the hell...

Considering you mentioned darker stuff, I'll just keep at it. Otherwise you'd see names such as Fullmetal Alchemist, FLCL and Cowboy Bebop(has it's share of mature themes as well) here:

Ergo Proxy is a hit-or-miss. Either you'll hate it like Xard hates RahXephon(hahhah!) for it's nigh-copying of an earlier anime, namely Ghost in the Shell or you'll be drooling and perpexled. I was more of the latter, since not all of the themes opened to until reading some afterword on a review site. The Wikipedia article is also very thorough. Suffice to say that the anime tackles with the ubiqutous themes of redemption and soul-searching and dapples in the philosophy of humanity quite a bit. AI's, robots, post-apocalypse, hot chick star, it's all been done before in some form or other. Non-fans often mention the most prominent thing in the series, it is pretty darn dark, so dark actually that I don't suggest watching it on a white background, such as on an upload site(ergo, non-fans are stupid pirates, haahaa), because you can't see much of anything besides the subtitles. Which is in itself is an interesting experience, if you like Japanese audio dramas. Anyways, the story portrays the journey of two outcasts, Re-a-l(124C41) Mayer and Vincent Law when they track the vast post-apocalyptic wastes of Eurasia in search of a truth behind the enigmatic, near-godlike being called "Ergo Proxy". Who has a smashing taste in women, btw.

Watch in in full screen, listen to the nigh-perfect intro, wonder at the animation. No regrets here either.

Then watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, because by now you'll be chocking in grimness and bleakage. Or just watch it's outro, your choice.

Now, I could always recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion, but since I know someone is going to do that anyway, heck it, let's do something else entirely: Go and watch Jin-Roh(The Wolf Brigade), right now. It's the epitome of what adult anime should be. It's brave in the concepts, brave with it's characters and yet portrays such basic human emotions like love and hate in a vast kaleidoscope of facets. Or you could just say that it has an ending that everyone expects, but no one wishes for. That's what I thought. In a nutshell, it's a love story between a Wolf Brigadier, a guy wearing a power armor and fighting for some form of government control and a woman who is a revolutionary. One of the big themes is the allegory to Little Red-Riding Hood, a bit like Akazukin Cha Cha. Just without magic. Or humour. Or cheery main characters. Or bright colours, except red.

It's a movie, neat to watch in one night. And awesome.

Tell you what, watch everything I mentioned. I don't consider any of those hours lost. Well, maybe I could have been reading third grade algebra when I was ten instead of watching Akazukin, but whatever. :thumbsup:

Edit: Xard, I'm kinda waiting.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I have a few recommendations. Though if you read through the thread you'll see pretty much all of these so this is more like a recap post. Ill make a list starting with shows that will make you blow your

mind

. Now a lot of these don't really follow your criteria since some are comedy and stuff, but I really could care less what you think. These were hard to even list becuase they are different genres but the gist of it is in there. It's pretty much really amazing stuff then drops down to mildly sweet once you get to paranoia agent. Then it goes like oh that has some kewl stuff dawg to Wolf's rain which kind of completely sucks but still there because wolves are pretty sweet and walrus episode. Then movies, just complete and utter awesome. Especially the first two. Then recent or ongoing series, nothing really stands out as amazing in this category so deal with it.

Death note

Gankutsouo (The Count of Monte Cristo)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Last Exile

FLCL

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Witch Hunter Robin

Mushishi

Full Metal Alchemist

Ghost in the Shell: 2nd gig (aka season 2)

Elfin Lied

Paranoia Agent

Black Lagoon (second season is better)

Ergo Proxy

Noein

Wolf's rain

Movies

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

Howl's Moving Castle

Jin Ro

Series - Current/Ongoing

Claymore

Darker than Black

Seirei No moribito

Bleach

Naruto

Kekkaishi

Heroic Age

kaze no stigma

Haven't seen

Toward the Terra

Kiss Dum

Denno Coil

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

but I really could care less what you think.

Yeah, me neither.

Ahhahha. Yeah.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

but I really could care less what you think.

Yeah, me neither.

Ahhahha. Yeah.

Tight. Lets start an anime crew and troll the forums until everyone from sand to even the most hardened of mods fear us. Except for Walsh, he's tight.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I'm on. At least on Walshingham's tightness.

kirottu said:

Some of you have mentioned "Darker than Black", while i am not too lazy to "google it, mother*****", i want to hear fellow Obsidian-animeholics take on it :thumbsup:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

well darker than black is pretty much a mediocre action anime. There really isn't anything that makes this show worth watching besides boredom and of course cat episode which was in my opinion one of the greatest episodes of an anime I have ever seen. Maybe im a sucker for cats, maybe im also a sucker for crazy widowers and maybe im also more of a sucker for lolis who work for a crazy spunky detective but god willing if that episode didn't rock. Anyways the show is mainly about some stuff happends and theres this "Bubble" that appears within Japan. From this sphere normal people emerge with "special powers." There sphere is pretty dangerous but they don't really spend any time on it. The story follows mainly one dude who controls electricity and he belongs to some sort of secret organization that does all kinds of jobs mainly involving other people who have been effected by the sphere. I would only really recommend the show if you're bored and have nothing else to really watch. I mean the show has good animation and its high quality but other than that there hasn't been any good character development or plot and even the action scenes are just alright.

Yoko Kanno is on the musics, watch it.

kirottu said: