Star Trek XI & JJ Abrams

LadyCrimson

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111794181...10&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Even tho I'm a ST and ST:TNG fan, I'm not sure whether to be intrigued or horrified. It seemed to me that the films and series had run their course but I guess I should've known Paramount wouldn't give up on their cash cow so easily.

The idea of a story based around Kirk and Spock in the Academy could be interesting, for ST fans. But then the casting comes into play...who could convincingly play a young Kirk and Spock...I'm not sure I could think of anyone that wouldn't make me cringe at the thought.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've read rumblings that JJ wants Matt Damon to play young Kirk. Maybe they can dust the mothballs of of the guy that played Screech to play Spock while they're at it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

No, they need to let the franchise gather dust for two decades and then come at it fresh. The Teen Adventures of Kirk and Spock might make a (terrible) cartoon series, but not a movie, please! :ph34r:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

ST11? For the life of me I cant remember all of the previous 10.

ST1: The Movie

ST2: The Wrath of Kahn

ST3: The Search for Spock

ST4: The Voyage Home

ST5-7: Generations - Kirk dies in there somewhere

ST10: Nemesis

FIXED! :-

EDIT: Joss Whedon should at least write and possibly direct the next Star Trek movie.

Edited by astr0creep

ST1: The Movie

ST2: The Wrath of Kahn

ST5-7: Generations - Kirk dies in there somewhere

FIXED! :)

EDIT: Joss Whedon should at least write and possibly direct the next Star Trek movie.

What about 8 and 9? :-

No, they need to let the franchise gather dust for two decades and then come at it fresh.   

That's been my thought on the whole ST movie thing too. Especially after the last two mediocre to terrible films.

I wouldn't mind if they started completely fresh, with a film that wasn't based on any of the series. Something a little more widely accessible, perhaps, than just to ST fans, but set in the ST universe.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've read rumblings that JJ wants Matt Damon to play young Kirk.  Maybe they can dust the mothballs of of the guy that played Screech to play Spock while they're at it.

Matt Damon is an excellent actor in my eyes. In fact he's a bit too established to take on a role like this. He wouldn't be William Shatner, that's for sure.

Was the Screech reference a dig on Matt Damon? He's a great deal more talented than the cast of Saved By the Bell.

Matt Damon is a very good actor. His only fault is being Ben Affleck's friend.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Matt Damon could not be James Kirk. And that's the problem. No one can. It'd be easier to find a Spock, perhaps, because of the make up they have to use anyway....Alexander Enberg might do well playing a younger, probably less emotive Spock (he played in TNG "Lower Decks" and in Voyager).

Course he might not be so young by now. Time flies.

ST1: The Motion Picture

ST2: The Wrath of Khan

ST5: The Final Frontier

ST6: The Undiscovered Country

ST7: Generations

ST8: First Contact

ST9: Insurrection

Fixed.

Only Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact were good. The rest were enjoyable but can't be considered good. The Motion Picture was trying to cash in on Kubrick's 2001, and just ended up being an hour long episode of Star Trek jammed into a 2 hour movie. Though it did have Spock hurtling through that giant space vagina.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well Yoyager is done. The crew has moved on, etc. What I'd like to see is a stand alone movie. One that has nothing to do with previous shows aside from maybe some cameos and recognizing the past events of previous series. Or maybe follow Riker and his crew on the Titan. That way you'd have a couple characters to link you to the old universe, and be able to introduce some new characters. Maybe, if its good, it could spin off into a new series.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

and just ended up being an hour long episode of Star Trek jammed into a 2 hour movie.

That pretty much sums up every each one of them, particularly the ones involving the next generation crew. What a farse.

For all that, i liked The Motion picture. The true cash in here was the Wrath of Kahn, trying to capitalize on the Star Wars generation, and successfully so. Too bad Star Wars was never a science fiction film, and none of the sub-sequent Star Treck movies had anything in common whatsoever with the idea of the original series.

Science fiction it's dead, long live George Lucas...

Edited by Lyric Suite

"Especially after the last two mediocre to terrible films."

Nonsnese. Insurrection was good. And, Nemsis is one of the top 3 ST films. I personally think people overrate The Wrath of Khan. Then again, anything with picard and company goes up by 1 million points in my mind since the acting is 1 million times better than the original ST cast (and the ones afterwards as well).

"DS9 or a Voyager movie is what we need."

I wouldn't mind a DS9 focused movies. It's no YNG; but it was good. Voyager, however, was simply below average. Sorry; but when your best character is a HOT borg; you know you've lost it. Not to mention how they destroyed the Borg's aura of awesomeness.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What a farse.

I've seen you use this phrase several times recently, and it is beginning to annoy me. A farse is a pre-Reformation religious practice in which a part or the whole of the Latin service was paraphrased in vernacular. The word you are looking for is farce. If you're going to try and appear pseudo-intellectual, at the very least read a freaking dictionary.

P.S. An encyclopedia wouldnt hurt either.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Can anyone truly act the way William Shatner does, in a convincing fashion?

There's only two people I've seen pull off a convincing Shatner. One is Jason Alexander. So he's out. The other is Kevin Pollak. So I guess there...is...NO...one.. able to pull...off such..a ..feat.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.