Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

We could always choose half of the books we read. One year we had to read five books for english (not a lot, I know, but it's not our main language here so it's not so important) and we had to read "Lies Of Silence" (boring), and "Fight Club" (awesome). For the other three I picked "The Lord of the Rings" (both boring and awesome at the same time), "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (funny) and "Jurassic Park" (easy reading and good for a dinosaur nut).

Well it was a summer assignment, last year. We had to pick a novel that had some "science" to it. We had a list. I chose one with a movie about it. Go figure.

I weep for the standards of education. Then again, what good is education for everyone: we only need a very rudimentary level for the cogs of the machinery.

:)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My school was actually rated in the top 100 Best High schools in America, by Newsweek.

for the top 86...Click here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

87 |  Clarke County* |  Berryville |  Va. |  2.877 |  12

88 |  Butler |  Matthews |  N.C. |  2.874 |  14.1

89 |  Cocoa Beach*  |  Cocoa Beach |  Fla. |  2.870 |  9.4

90 |  High Technology |  Lincroft |  N.J. |  2.855 |  2.3

91 |  Ridge |  Basking Ridge |  N.J. |  2.855 |  1

92 |  Washington* |  Denver |  Colo. |  2.852 |  35

93 |  Cresskill |  Cresskill |  N.J. |  2.850 |  2

94 |  Chantilly |  Chantilly |  Va. |  2.846 |  11

95 |  Chagrin Falls  |  Chagrin Falls |  Ohio |  2.829 |  1

96 |  Briarcliff |  Briarcliff Manor |  N.Y. |  2.829 |  1

97 |  Rye Neck |  Mamaroneck |  N.Y. |  2.829 |  6

98 |  Bronxville |  Bronxville |  N.Y. |  2.813 |  0

99 |  Pikesville  |  Baltimore |  Md. |  2.812 |  11

100 |  Grapevine |  Grapevine |  Texas |  2.788 |  7.7

Edited by Krookie

Don't be angry Pretty Nose, but Keanu couldn't act his way out of a cardboard box.

I've been told I bear a certain likeness to the guy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my friends say it just to insult me. And I do. Feel insulted, I mean.

On topic: I went to see Me and You and Everyone We Know. Not as infuriatingly romantic as I thought it would be. It's a great movie for a date.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Petay has been on a bit of a movie-fest tonight. Or at least more than I usually would in one night.

First up: Star Wars Episode 4

Then: Batman Begins

SW goes without saying; absolutely and totally awesome, always so regardlesss of how many times I watch it, and regardless of how geeky that makes me right now :p Can't wait for next week's one now, I have an addiction for the series which needs to be quenched.

Batman Begins: Pretty awesome movie. Can't say I watched all of it though, since I started watching after what seemed like a pretty key hour of the movie at the beginning. Interesting plot, hardly realistic, but then again, who cares? If it's about a big human flying bat who saves an entire city from insanity and certain peril from some psychotic and crazy villains themselves, then I certainly don't mind realism problems. But yeah, I enjoyed that old chestnut anyway.

Edit: Now I realise that that last paragraph could be totally summed up in just more generaql terms such as 'any superhero movie'. I liek big paragraphs :).

Edited by Petay

Going back to Blockbuster, again. Returning Madden 07 and Jurrasic Park: The Lost World . I was thinking about picking up A New Hope and Empire Stikes Back...But only if Dead Rising isn't in stock. I've been wondering weather Thin Red Line is anything in comparison to Saving Private Ryan...

Edited by Krookie

How happy that must make you.

No need to get sarcastic. :ermm:

I was just ssaying that the "standard of teaching" isn't as low as you think.

Of course my state is number 3 in all the nation in ACT scores but then again the public education system in the US is so atrocious comparied to other nations.

I've been wondering weather Thin Red Line is anything in comparison to Saving Private Ryan...

A Thin Red Line is nothing like Saving Private Ryan except for the fact they are both set in WW2. Saving Private Ryan is an action packed film, while A Thin Red Line is a slow paced film. I personally love them both for different reasons. In my mind A Thin Red Line is a beautiful film that transcends being a simple war movie and is indeed a work of art. Although many people found it boring....

Another vote for The Thin Red Line. It's brilliant.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I always found The Thin Red Line overrated. It's packed with good actors and the photograhy is nothing short of amazing, but I wouldn't say it's a brilliant movie by any stretch (granted, I might need to re-watch it).

Saving Private Ryan is a load of horse dung bar the first 30 minutes.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Please meta, don't judge Crichton by just his most recent book. I guess it upset a lot of people by dismissing the effects of global warming. He has written controversial material before, but State of Fear has been derided by earth scientists all over as a premise supported by bad science. Some folks have said he let his political leanings trump the believability of the book.

I'd pick Congo or Sphere instead.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

He definitely hits the topical stuff hard. And between dinosaurs and time travel, and other things he's written, he often stretches the limits of what the readers are willing to buy into.

The books of his I've read have all been enjoyable, more or less. I haven't read the new one, mostly because of the yammering I've heard about it.

Did anyone see the movie that was made of the Crichton book Timeline? I heard it was horrible.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Timeline was an ok movie. Nothing earthshattering. Typical time traveling movie, I think.

Vampire Journals - Better than I thought it would be. Kinda expected a B Movie about vampires. It gave me the 'Angel' vibe but much darker, and no humour what so ever. Decently acted with a decent plot. The main villain was interesting to say the least.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.