Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

The Great Train Robbery is my favorite Crichton book. Timeline the movie didn't resemble Timeline the book in any way, in fact they even jumped central characters. He's a fiction writer though, no one should treat him like a scientist. He's not even really a sci-fi author.

Three days. Twenty four one hour episodes. The complete run of Carnivale unfolded before mine very own eyes. Nice bonus features on the season two DVD spell out some of the plot for those who still couldn't grasp it.

I know I'm beating a dead horse talking about a dead show, but the way this series was set and presented blows away anything I've ever seen on teevee before, and I've watched a lot of it. If your video store has the series available for rent, pick it up.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I've seen Kung Pao: Enter the Fist and Unbreakable lately.

Kung Pao was a comedy and so stupid it was actually quite funny.

Unbreakable was panned by the critics, but I rather like it. Second viewing on that one.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

A recent Robin Williams movie about him taking his family on a vacation in a large motorhome. It was so abysmal I can't even be bothered to Google the name. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just watched A Scanner Darkly.

Very pedestrian; Keanu did his best (threw his whole toolbox at the part, including "Whoa.", "No way." and a few tetragrammatical invectives), though Downey and Harrelson helped even the score.

One point it did underscore was that you don't need photo-realistic graphics to tell a story: the entire film stock was overlaid with graphic-novel-like drawn effects.

I think it was mainly meant for people under the influence of something, because the various deep insights and plot twists, etc, were all very obvious.

I expect this is because it was based on a short story (although I'm not sure about that, but Dιck wrote a plethora of short stories as well as novels: perhaps someone else can confirm? *casts summon Baley*).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Don't be angry Pretty Nose, but Keanu couldn't act his way out of a cardboard box.

I've been told I bear a certain likeness to the guy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my friends say it just to insult me. And I do. Feel insulted, I mean.

I'm not angry... and I know his acting is quite terrible, but he's never what I'd consider a problem to a film... but that's just my opinion :mellow:"

And if people say you look like Keanu, then you really shouldn't take it as an insult ;)

Prime

Well done Hollywood 'non-Hollywood' relationship story.

My housemates forced me to see this whilst it was out at the cinema, because they're big fans of Uma Thurman. I think we were only people in there who weren't 38+ year-old housewives. We were also the only ones that weren't laughing. I was in pain at one point from all the cringing. Poor Meryl. I guess you have to be of a certain age and upwards to appreciate movies like that :)

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Just watched A Scanner Darkly.

Very pedestrian; Keanu did his best (threw his whole toolbox at the part, including "Whoa.", "No way." and a few tetragrammatical invectives), though Downey and Harrelson helped even the score.

This kind of part is perfect for Keanu. Dim-witted, slow and unsure of his surroundings.

One point it did underscore was that you don't need photo-realistic graphics to tell a story: the entire film stock was overlaid with graphic-novel-like drawn effects.

Richard Linklater (the director) did another film like this... Waking Life I think it was called. At any rate the rotoscoping certainly augments the drug induced paranoia and halucinations.

I think it was mainly meant for people under the influence of something, because the various deep insights and plot twists, etc, were all very obvious.

I know that the the first part would be... interesting if watched under the influence.

According to at least one reviewer, the story suffers form the book to film transition. Mainly beacause the book has many internal monologues which help convey a deep sense of paranoia.

I expect this is because it was based on a short story (although I'm not sure about that, but Dιck wrote a plethora of short stories as well as novels: perhaps someone else can confirm? *casts summon Baley*).

It's based on a novel, his first dealing with the events (or better yet, effects) of February 20th 1974. Unfortunately, I've yet to read it or watch the film, and thus I am unable to declare you a puerile philistine, yet.

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit

Plot Summary: Jessica's extraordinarily strong will and heart enables her to rebel against her fanatical, cult-like upbringing. From seven to seventeen Jess is brainwashed to be one of the 'saved', to devote her life to Jesus, to follow the discriminatory teachings of Pastor Finch and his understanding of Revelations. As her warm personality dictates she succeeds in fitting into this regime and spreads the word of Jesus in a fairly content manner. But when her friendship with Melanie develops into something a little more 'unnatural' she easily realizes the error of the Pastors teachings. The girls are subjected to terrible treatment to convince them to repent.

Not bad, though it does have a knack for devolving into pure melodrama and lifelessly delivered lines. Episode 3 is borderline rubbish, the music almost always intruding, (some of the) actors worthless and, well, the message is, of course, just and|or modern and|or coffee-house anti-clerical. We learn, religion blows, lesbians are invariably drawn to petite Fundie temples and mousy small-town simps make for grade A Oxford material. All very equitable once you realise this is some middle-aged broad's epic fantasy of love, betrayal and Pentecostal bondage. (PS: Not true. The Author was 20-something when it was first published. It appears to be somewhat autobiographical. Why then have I kept the above-written sentence? Simple, I am increasingly homosexual towards my own words and phrases. It is love.)

That said, there are some genuinely powerful scenes (little Jess growing sicker and sicker while her family and church declare it, her loss of senses, a miracle from God and prance around her, touching her like apocryphal banana-men of ancient times). Scenes which had almost made me turn the upstairs faucets on, you know which ones, and let the righteous flood mourn my passing manhood. Or something. You're not gonna get a teary-eyed Baley babbling about teary-eye-inducing flicks. Not yet at least. Hopefully. God Bless.

I thought your opinion was that everyone, except you of course, was a puerile philistine.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There are, shall we say, exceptions. Though perhaps limited in both scope and understanding, they do provide me with some meager entertainment, you know, bettering my daily life. And so on and so forth. ( I kid. I kid. And Love. And Love.)

I've seen Kung Pao:  Enter the Fist and Unbreakable lately.

Kung Pao was a comedy and so stupid it was actually quite funny.

Unbreakable was panned by the critics, but I rather like it.  Second viewing on that one.

You mean Kung Pow? Hilarious, just with its random stupidity. ;)

And I liked Unbreakable too. There are lots of underlying philosphical themes in the movie along with references to superhero comics.

Actually, I found Doom the movie rather amusing. Not good...except for the 1st person bit gimmick, perhaps...but amusing...

I watched The Edge again. It was mostly notable for the bear and noticing that Alec Baldwin fares better at playing, ah, evil? bad? characters with some complex shadings than when he plays a 'good guy'. The Cooler had me re-evaluating him entirely. Think I'll watch that again too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah. The title basically explains the movie.

I actually found parts of that movie particularly hilarious, if simply for the cheesyness. Particularly the part involving a small chihuahua and a huge snake :ermm: