Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

L.A. Confidential. Great stuff, with excellent acting all around.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yeah. The title basically explains the movie.

I actually found parts of that movie particularly hilarious, if simply for the cheesyness. Particularly the part involving a small chihuahua and a huge snake :ermm:

I was in stitches many times throughout Snakes on a Plane. It's totally one of those comedy/slasher type movies.

According to at least one reviewer, the story suffers form the book to film transition. Mainly beacause the book has many internal monologues which help convey a deep sense of paranoia.

It was just not a good movie. I'm sure the book is brilliant, but there are some things that just don't translate well. I was trying not to yawn through most of the film, although I almost laughed out loud once or twice.

I think it's more trying to provide some insight into paranoia (or perception illnesses, perhaps) rather than being an entertainment. (I laughed at the extreme paranoid rantings of Downey and Harrelson.)

Trying to help explain what, for those who know: no explanation is necessary; and for those who don't: no explanation is possible. ;)

Mind you, I can see this joining the ranks of The Wall, Brazil, etc as eseential film experiences for university students.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The French Connection decided to bring out an old favorite

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

"Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music that he's created over the years - I don't really listen to it. But the fact that he's making it, I respect that."

Gold. :D

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Shaun of the Dead

Plot Summary: Shaun isn't having the greatest of times: the staff at the appliance store he works in doesn't take him very seriously as temporary boss; his girlfriend Liz has had enough of always meeting at the Winchester Arms along with his best mate; and his relationship with his dad--sorry, stepdad--remains heavily fraught. And now the living dead have risen and are spreading their zombie curse to everyone into which they can get their teeth. Just doesn't seem worth getting out of bed some days.

Funny. But frankly, the direction's the only part I'd call great. Though I can see myself watching this again and again, you know, laughing my ass off. I was gonna make a zombie pun and use the word "stellar" somewhere, but then I decided on not being a loser, uh, a bigger one, on the internet, who uses the word "stellar" a lot, between jerk'n'twisting to "School Girl Rape" hentai (not that I jerk'n'twist the Samoan Uber-he-devil to "School Girl Rape" hentai, really) and listening to the new Muse single (not that I listen to the new Muse Single, okay, okay, I admit, the overt gayness appeals to me, just a little). Or something. Sleep deprivation's doing wonders for me, eh? Eh?

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Plot Summary: The comedy groups last full length movie returns to the feel of the hugely popular BBC TV show. It features small comedy sketches dealing with all of the stages and trials of life. Expect the un-expected. Plenty of religious, vulgar, and sexual humor may offend some groups. There are even musical numbers, but with that same unmistakable brand of Python humor.

Watch The Crimson Permanent Assurance. Fast forward till the final number. Watch Eric Idle croon. Call it goodnight. Close the telly. Think of all the wonderful time you'll be spending with your lovely fam and naughty 3 year old mistress "Pam" (in her little pink cage, natch).

To Die For

Plot Summary: Suzanne Stone (Maretto) knows exactly what she wants. She wants to be a television newscaster and she is willing to do ANYTHING to get what she wants. What she lacks in intelligence, she makes up for in cold determination and diabolical wiles. As she pursues her goal with relentless focus, she is forced to destroy anything and anyone that may stand in her way, regardless of the ultimate cost or means necessary.

Basically, I could go either way. I don't really know how attentive I'd have been were it not for Nicole Kidman ass and the whole "monkey business in my pants, oh God, it's Heaven!" routine. I like Gus Van Sant, the script was okay and the actors pretty good. Definitely watchable (and|or funny). I'll give it that.

Ultimate Avengers... meh. I like Bruce Timms stuff better than what they put out. The only thing missing from it was "Double PHD and all you can think of is to give him the Mardi Gras Special!?"

"Well It Worked DIDN'T IT!?"

then they drop captain america in a tank on the hulk.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Pet Semetary 2 - A little sequel to a classic horror movie. Just as good as the original thoguh soem things had me scratching my head. Some of it was very funny though, and while the acting was good some of it was wayyyyyyyyy over the top. Not sure if that was intentional either. Heh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I didn't even know there was a Rambo 2!

The first Rambo wasn't even called "Rambo". It was "First Blood(as in "who draws it")". "Rambo 2" was called "Rambo: First Blood Part 2" so technically, by saying you "didn't even know there was a Rambo 2", it demonstrates that you did know there was a "Rambo 2", because "Rambo 1" was referred to as "Rambo 1" only after "Rambo 2" was released and the term "Rambo movies" adopted by the masses of undying Sylvester Stalone fans(his mom).

"Technically".

:D

Clearly you've never watched the Boondock Saints.

I have, indeed, and enjoyed it greatly. Even the wife laughed, and she hates action films.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The first Rambo wasn't even called "Rambo". It was "First Blood(as in "who draws it")". "Rambo 2" was called "Rambo: First Blood Part 2" so technically, by saying you "didn't even know there was a Rambo 2", it demonstrates that you did know there was a "Rambo 2", because "Rambo 1" was referred to as "Rambo 1" only after "Rambo 2" was released and the term "Rambo movies" adopted by the masses of undying Sylvester Stalone fans(his mom).

"Technically".

Wouldn't the nomenclature be Rambo II: First Blood Part III? :ermm:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Technically".

Wouldn't the nomenclature be Rambo II: First Blood Part III? :ermm:"

Same way as how Jedi Academy should be Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Paper Moon

Plot Summary: Adapted from the novel, "Addie Pray" (1971) by Joe David Brown, PAPER MOON is the story of Moses Pray and Addie Loggins. With scenery reminiscent of "The Grapes of Wrath," the film is set in the depression-era Midwestern region of the United States.

Yeah, I'll admit enjoying this, the chemistry between O'Neal and his daughter is pretty fun and they're both really watchable, the script manages to escape cheap sentimentality and the direction ain't necessarily bad. Constantly decent, if nothing else.

Les enfants terribles (The Strange Ones)

Plot Summary: Elisabeth is very protective of her teenage brother Paul, who is injured in a snowball fight at school and has to rest in bed most of the time. The siblings are inseparable, living in the same room, fighting, playing secret games, and rarely leaving the house; though Paul's friend Gerard often stays with them. One day Elisabeth brings home Agathe to live with them also. She bears a strong resemblance to Dargelos, a schoolboy whom Paul had a crush on, and who injured him. Paul and Agathe become attracted to each other, causing Elizabeth to be very jealous.

I've never cared much for Jean Cocteau, both as a writer (his life is far more interesting) and a director, thankfully, Melville's at the helm this time (the reason I watched it in the first place, believing he could salvage something, anything) and he makes it borderline watchable. Were it not for Cocteau's awful voice and pretentious lines, it might've been decent, maybe even good, as things are though, it's passable at best.

The Third Man

Plot Summary: An out of work pulp fiction novelist, Holly Martins, arrives in a post war Vienna divided into sectors by the victorious allies, and where a shortage of supplies has lead to a flourishing black market. He arrives at the invitation of an ex-school friend, Harry Lime, who has offered him a job, only to discover that Lime has recently died in a peculiar traffic accident. From talking to Lime's friends and associates Martins soon notices that some of the stories are inconsistent, and determines to discover what really happened to Harry Lime.

Beautiful, Robert Krasker was a master cinematographer. Graham Greene has always been the man (and, perhaps, always will be). Orson Welles is incredibly charismatic, the direction, the script, the music, the actors, everything's top notch. Possibly the best film ever made. I need to watch more Carol Reed flicks. Pronto.

Br