KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

While I appreciate the friendly help being given to a new/returning member, this thread is running off-topic from it's purpose and may get pruned soon...

What do we actually know if anything about KOTOR3?

Truthfully, we no absolutely nothing at all. The Old Republic spans thousands of years so it could be anything. If they want to milk the series for all it's worth they could make four, or five more games and turn into final fantasy wannabe.

-More romance

-more customization

-wider levels

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but is there a way that instead of seeing Revan and the Exile in their stereotypical gear, that you could see them with the faces, clothes, weapon you chose?

As in, could your PC, or possibly xbox memory card or something (not sure with next gen stuff) read from your old game file?

Post Script: as soon as I hit reply to add on to post, I totally lost all the ideas I had. Go figure. <_<

-More romance

-more customization

-wider levels

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, but is there a way that instead of seeing Revan and the Exile in their stereotypical gear, that you could see them with the faces, clothes,  weapon you chose?

As in, could your PC, or possibly xbox memory card or something (not sure with next gen stuff) read from your old game file?

Post Script: as soon as I hit reply to add on to post, I totally lost all the ideas I had. Go figure.  <_<

Possibly but the problem is that people don't always back up their saves or even have the game installed so the game wouldn't know what to look for. Therefore, there leaves three methods. One is to leave them out completley, the second, dialog trees which describe them. And third, character selection screens.

KOTOR III is a must.

It should be next gen XBOX360, PS3, and Windows Vista. That force power pre vis video from E3 2006 is a good guide how how it should look.

A new Jedi character is a must. A greater range of charcater customization should be available, species such as Rodian, Twilek, and how about Jawa for a laugh?

Characters from the old games should return. I'd particularly like to see the Twilek chick from the first game (and I don't care about those who got the wookie to kill her). HK-47 is a must, I would like to see him meet Revan again and find out he was given "meat-bag" qualities.

The background of the game should be the rebuilding of the republic and the Jedi Order. Issue of how things should be done and the mystery of what happened to Revan and the Exile.

This would then lead to the Player character being sent to discover something by some of the old characters without being told what it is about in the outer rim. This then would lead to the player finding out about more of the past of Revan, the Exile and the Eternal Empire and the threat Kreia said Revan went to find.

Multiple ways of solving quests are a must not just light/dark. There should be interesting not straight forward options that yield more experience.

You should have a greater range of options for customization/upgrading. Also if you can't do it yourself you should be able get characters or merchants to do it for you. Upgrade sabres and weapons, your ship etc.

Also learning skills from trainers the same as KOTOR II such as Echani techniques, force powers, etc etc.

More mini games not just pazak, turret gunner, and speeder racing.

Also an interactive ship, ship databank that you can upload all the datapads to, add your own notes, star map.

For your first post it looks great!!! I agree in all your points. I want the legendary Zayne Carrick and I want Bastila back!

But what's the Eternal Empire? Do you mean the Infinite Empire of the Rakata?

Edited by Alec

Guest The Architect
I wouldn't mind seeing canon Revan and canon Exile... If you want to alter it, there's always mods :wub:

WHAT! Forcing a fixed 'canon' Revan and 'canon' Exile on us would suck! I'd rather them not make KOTOR III, or not base the focus of the plot on the 'True Sith' instead of playing a game of that forced a fixed 'canon' Revan and 'canon' Exile on us. First of all, what happened to the player's freedom, the roleplaying? What was the point of even making KOTOR and KOTOR II, only to see the characters that you created be destroyed by this 'canon' crap, huh?

If you think that it's impossible to cater for the sixteen gender/alignment combo's of Revan and the Exile and put it into one plot, then your wrong. Yes, it would be difficult, but I could do it, Jediphile has done it (with his awesome storyline proposal) and hawk can do it, as can other talented people I'm sure, and it would not be impossible for game developers to do in terms of size, costing and time either.

Whatever Revan and the Exile might have been by this stupid 'canon' crap is irrelevant. I'd consider it as a secondary priority when it comes to the actual games. Sure, Revan and the Exile may be LS according to the EU, but what they are in the actual game is entirely up to the individual player, and by forcing a fixed 'canon' Revan and 'canon' Exile on us, well put it this way, it is far worse than killing them off or leaving them out of the game completely without even mentioning them, it is the biggest NO NO of them all!!!

We simply must be able to select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile in KOTOR III (if there is one), that is a priority IMO. So DAWUSS, I could not disagree with you more, I want to be able to select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile, not have them forced on me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does.

Not being able to select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile in a potential KOTOR III would be absolutely ****in **** house!

Edited by The Architect

-More romance

-more customization

-wider levels

I totally agree, though I don't know if the second one is likely. They don't seem to want KOTOR to be very open to custom content, which is really too bad.

The more romance idea has a much better chance of happening, and I certainly hope they put it in heavily. It's one of the elements that makes an RPG enjoyable.

Michael

P.S. CrimsonLady is right. I got things way off target here. Sorry about that. And thanks everyone for your help. (see, CrimsonLady, how I worked that in as a P.S.? clever, eh? :) )

as long as there are no clones involved (sorry im a little sick of clones right now... blame timothy zahn.)

i hope they go back to having implant levels. ugh i hated needing to have constitution to do implant on 2 (especially since the implants were so good)

"She was short, she was furry, she was loud, and she was determined to sell him a melon"- random passage from Spector of the Past by Timothy Zahn

I wouldn't mind seeing canon Revan and canon Exile... If you want to alter it, there's always mods :(

WHAT! Forcing a fixed 'canon' Revan and 'canon' Exile on us would suck! I'd rather them not make KOTOR III, or not base the focus of the plot on the 'True Sith' instead of playing a game of that forced a fixed 'canon' Revan and 'canon' Exile on us. First of all, what happened to the player's freedom, the roleplaying? What was the point of even making KOTOR and KOTOR II, only to see the characters that you created be destroyed by this 'canon' crap, huh?

If you think that it's impossible to cater for the sixteen gender/alignment combo's of Revan and the Exile and put it into one plot, then your wrong. Yes, it would be difficult, but I could do it, Jediphile has done it (with his awesome storyline proposal) and hawk can do it, as can other talented people I'm sure, and it would not be impossible for game developers to do in terms of size, costing and time either.

Whatever Revan and the Exile might have been by this stupid 'canon' crap is irrelevant. I'd consider it as a secondary priority when it comes to the actual games. Sure, Revan and the Exile may be LS according to the EU, but what they are in the actual game is entirely up to the individual player, and by forcing a fixed 'canon' Revan and 'canon' Exile on us, well put it this way, it is far worse than killing them off or leaving them out of the game completely without even mentioning them, it is the biggest NO NO of them all!!!

We simply must be able to select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile in KOTOR III (if there is one), that is a priority IMO. So DAWUSS, I could not disagree with you more, I want to be able to select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile, not have them forced on me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that does.

Not being able to select the genders/alignments of Revan and the Exile in a potential KOTOR III would be absolutely ****in **** house!

I agree, and something else alot of people don't think about with the whole Revan deal. Personality, character, the virtues and traits that define a living person. I'd bet alot of people wouldn't be too happy with Revan if he/she ended up being some annoying smart-ass joke character. The main reason why everyone loves Revan is because they love themselves (Sounds awkward, but true). Each indivdual that has played Knights of the Old Republic has defined who Revan was themselves, otherwise you wouldn't be role-playing.

The main point being is that alot of people don't realize how bad of an idea 'canonizing' Revan is, or just bringing him/her back for that matter. The same applies to the Exile as well.

The idea of bringing back Revan and/or the Exile in the flesh is flawed. It's too bad the majority of KotOR's fanbase either doesn't realize this, or simply refuses to accept it.

Edited by Terranova

I agree that players should be able to pick the gender and appearance of Revan and Exile if playing as a new PC. I think the problem is how will players imbue those avatars Revan and Exile with the personalities and motivations each player has created in their heads.

Will players be able to choose dialogue options and actions for Revan, Exile and the new PC if they meet and converse?

Will the game have three main sections for Revan, Exile and the new PC?

Wouldn't this alienate new players?

Of course there is no guarantee the game will be like this, but its fun to speculate.

I'm sure other people have already said this but defintely a more in depth character creation system. I know it sounds weird but I just hate having those really just stupid faces. Who uses half of those. And I think choosing your characters build and fighting style would be cool. Like having a guy who fights like Vader, mainly powerful slow attacks as opposed to crazy Sideous who did that crazy stuff in the movie where did like 5 spins and flew at Windu. Oh and of course the return of the Mandalorian armor with helmet.

Guest The Architect
I agree, and something else alot of people don't think about with the whole Revan deal. Personality, character, the virtues and traits that define a living person. I'd bet alot of people wouldn't be too happy with Revan if he/she ended up being some annoying smart-ass joke character. The main reason why everyone loves Revan is because they love themselves (Sounds awkward, but true). Each indivdual that has played Knights of the Old Republic has defined who Revan was themselves, otherwise you wouldn't be role-playing.

The main point being is that alot of people don't realize how bad of an idea 'canonizing' Revan is, or just bringing him/her back for that matter. The same applies to the Exile as well.

The idea of bringing back Revan and/or the Exile in the flesh is flawed. It's too bad the majority of KotOR's fanbase either doesn't realize this, or simply refuses to accept it.

True, even if you could select the genders, alignments and appearences of Revan and the Exile in KOTOR III, that still would not solve the problem. One idea/proposal is...

What you could do is select the genders and alignments of Revan and the Exile early on in KOTOR III or during the start menu or something like that, just so long as it's made clear what you're doing, not like in KOTOR II, because even to this day, many people still don't realize that in KOTOR II you set the gender/alignment of Revan during your first conversation with Atton on Peragus, they'll need to make it more obvious so that the less intellectually adept don't get confused about the whole gender/alignment setting of Revan and the Exile.

Now perhaps about 2/3's or 3/4's into the game, you have to customize Revan and the Exile's appearence, class, stats, feats, force powers, lightsaber type/colour, etc again and then the game has three split small parties with Revan leading one, the Exile leading the other and the new main character of KOTOR III leading the other. That way, Revan and the Exile can still be your characters, as they can still be mute (voice) and have dialogue choices.

But that is all just wishful thinking, I could only imagine the impossible sizing, costing and time it would take to do this, in fact, I don't think it's even possible with our current technology today, you'd probably have to wait a few years to accomplish it.

So no, no matter how you look at it, I don't think Revan and the Exile will be coming back in the 'flesh' in KOTOR III, because your Revan and your Exile will be ruined in some way, so perhaps it's better if they don't appear at all or are killed off.

But I do like your idea of having Revan and the Exile communicate to you through the force, that is a superb idea Terranova :rolleyes: Because this way, it will be easier and most importantly of all possible for game developers to do, the devs won't have to worry about Revan and the Exile's appearences, etc and the devs won't ruin anybody's Revan and Exile this way, and they won't have to kill Revan and the Exile off either...

Edited by The Architect

what if Revan and the Exile are both killed off but then you are a new character for k3 and you are so strong in the force that Revan and the Exile can speak to you through the force and then teach you about the Ls or Ds depending on what you said you wanted Revan and the Exile to be. If you choose Exile as Ls and Revan as Ls then its easier for you to learn Ls powers than Ds but that doesn't mean you can't learn Ds its just harder to learn Ds than Ls and same goes if you choose both Ds. Then if you choose one Ds and one Ls then its pretty much normal in the way you learn Ds or Ls. But this doesn't affect how you can choose to be Ls or Ds in the game.

Actually,

Bringing back Revan and the Exile in the way you want them to be might be easier then you think. I am about to write a new storyline idea in which such is quiet possible. Sorry, I am not going to just post it here as I am sure some will hate it and others just love it but off course, when I am ready (in perhaps a month, maybe less, maybe more) I could PM it to anyone interested. The Architect is off course allready on this list.

Master Vandar lives!

I really don't think the need of custimizing Revan and the Exile is necessary. True you played as them but I'm sure you won't be playing as them again so it doesn't matter.

the point is in each game we played these characters. This is a roleplaying game you dont mind that the characters you spent time with making and playing with could be different than how you created?

It's true, but personally in K2 I didn't bother to find Revan and I wasn't thinking of him. So I think the same would be done in K3. We may decide if they were LS/DS but we'll have a new character anyway.