What game got you hooked?

Azure79

TIE Fighter. The mission briefings were the best.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hmm, first computer game was probably Zork or whatever else they had back in the heady days of Commodore 64. In the arcade I was a big fan of Gauntlet and Spy Hunter. But for what got be hooked on PC games I have to go with Baldurs Gate. Damn that game blew me away the first time I played it.

Gauntlet, DooM, Fatal Fury. After Fatal Fury I got into Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters. Wasn't until Gauntlet: Dark Legacy taht I played Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. Then got into The PC series and worked backwards.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

My dad had the towns first computer store back in the 80's so there never was a single Whoah! :thumbsup: game for me as I cant remember a time without them.

The first cool game I remeber was one of the Combat-like games, where you controlled a tank and you chased eachother through a maze. I dont remember what system it was for.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Of course my own game

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Hey, I think I remember that game! I think it was even called Tank (or Combat?). Wasn't that for the Intellivision? You could play it against a friend and your shots ricochetted (is that a word?) inside the maze, so you basically had to try and calculate how to hit the other tank, almost like a game of pool. It might have been for the Colecovision.. I have to look it up!

Edit: Found it. It was called Combat but it seems it was for the Atari 2600. That's odd, because I clearly remember an ugly black box with two even uglier controls attached to it. It also had these plastic cartridges containing games that you plugged into the console to be able to play. Much like the NES games, but uglier.

Edit 2: I was referring to Kaftan's post, but someone got in between.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I had an Atari 2600 and it wasnt for that. I remember dad took a console home from the store so I could play it. I dont think it was "Combat" though, because I dont remeber being able to play anything but tanks and Combat had planes and stuff too.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I had an Atari 2600 and it wasnt for that. I remember dad took a console home from the store so I could play it. I dont think it was "Combat" though, because I dont remeber being able to play anything but tanks and Combat had planes and stuff too.

Yeah, I can't remember any planes either. I also can't remember the game being that colourful. I only remember a black background and white, blocky graphics on top of that. Weird.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I actually had Combat, and I prefered the Plane fighting more than the tank portion of the game.

There was just something about hitting the triangular plane in the air and sending it spinning around out of control that was immensely satisfying.

The two games that got me into gaming were probably those I bought together with my first C64 in 1983. One was a cartridge/rom game called "International Soccer" (EA Sports, go home) and the other was a Centipede clone called "Gridrunner" by Llamasoft.

After that, it was a bunch of game source codes to type in yourself from a magazine called "Your Computer". Some of those were fully the same quality of the "Commercial" games of the time. :o

The game that got me hooked on crpgs was either a game called "Sword of Fargoal" or "Temple of Apshai", both by Epyx. Can't remember anymore which one was first :">

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dungeon Hack. It was a gold box DOS game. I put it on the first computer I ever built, a x386 with a 80 MB HD. I remember thinking how big that HD was. But with DOS & Windows 3.1 you didn't need much!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Mario, Bubble Bobble, and Duck Hunt. :D

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast